Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
4601 - 4620 of 4653 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i loathe the question "how'd it go today"
Well, now you have me wondering.
Sort of depends on who's asking and what they expect as a response, I think. My wife like's to ask, "so how was your day?" And I say something like "fine" or "it was ok" but apparently that's not enough. It means that I don't want to "communicate." And I'm like, what do you want me to do? Review the entire day? Give the play by play? I showed up. It was a total sh** show. The drywallers weren't, in fact, finished even while I was told they would be. The electricians cut another damned hole in the wall. The plumbers had one in the ceiling. The furniture showed up early with no place to put it so I had to vacate my whole staging area so there was someplace to stick the furniture. So then I became "homeless" at the site and couldn't really do much work anyway...So yeah. I think I don't like the old "how'd it go" question either. I'm not a recount it play-by-play guy and I don't even know if that's the question - at least if it's my wife asking.

And I hate when small reno work gets done where I'm supposed to try to patch in / touch up without an entire repaint and NO ONE thinks to themselves - "hey maybe we should save a scrap for the painter to get a color match." And I hate it more because if I've said it once, I've said it 100 times: "save me a damned something for a color match!"

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
People say it without ever expecting a real response.

As for the color match, I think we have all been in that boat. I started refusing a long time ago to just do touch ups. It had better be at least an entire wall (or room), or no thanks. Taking that position has saved me countless hours of frustration over the last ten years or so.

Seems like nobody thinks beyond their own little window of responsibility anymore. Like the trim guys setting every fricken brad they shoot proud. So now a simple job of filling the holes and touching up the trim becomes an ordeal of trying to set those little trim brads which, of course, typically just bend rather than go in. Last time that happened, I went and brought the HO into the area and had them run their finger over the exposed heads and told them that that was why the cost/time factor just went up - all thanks to the trim guys not knowing how to set the right pressure on their nailer. And if they wanted to talk to them about covering the extra expense, that would make perfect sense to me.

Reactions: CApainter

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My wife apparently expects a response.

Where feasible I paint entire walls or whatever when patch in work gets done. But it's not always reasonable or feasible - like when it would mean painting an entire exterior if windows get changed out, or just some small siding repairs or something. But then there's also where, e.g. a plumbing repair gets done resulting in some SR repair, and even if I'm going to do the whole wall, I'm usually still left with nothing to match up to the rest of the room. I obviously fudge something out, but so much easier to just put an actual sample on the counter at the paint store. Yes, people dwell in their own little windows too much.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
People say it without ever expecting a real response.

As for the color match, I think we have all been in that boat. I started refusing a long time ago to just do touch ups. It had better be at least an entire wall (or room), or no thanks. Taking that position has saved me countless hours of frustration over the last ten years or so.

Seems like nobody thinks beyond their own little window of responsibility anymore. Like the trim guys setting every fricken brad they shoot proud. So now a simple job of filling the holes and touching up the trim becomes an ordeal of trying to set those little trim brads which, of course, typically just bend rather than go in. Last time that happened, I went and brought the HO into the area and had them run their finger over the exposed heads and told them that that was why the cost/time factor just went up - all thanks to the trim guys not knowing how to set the right pressure on their nailer. And if they wanted to talk to them about covering the extra expense, that would make perfect sense to me.
Why do you think they only sell spring loaded nail sets at paint stores??:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I hate it when it downpours a half hour after you arrive at the job site, and then it gets sunny an hour or two later (while you're sitting at home).

Happened twice in the last week.
Yeah, and relatedly, I hate when it barely rains, but rains just enough to make everything too wet to paint until tomorrow.

·
Registered
Interior/Exterior Painting. Wall Paper. Residential/Commercial
18 Posts
After rolling and cutting four rooms the same color, HO comes home and after a long pause..."that's really not what I thought that color was going to look like..."
Yep! Even after they had a week to look at the 4'X4' sample I painted for them

·
Registered
755 Posts
no, all the base wasnt on, you said it was but there is still 4 lengths off. now i have get out the caulking, filler and semi again whenever you decide to actually finish.

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
What a horrible way to start the morning.
5:30am. Thunder storm arrives. Dog who hates them goes under my computer desk and wraps the cords around himself. Basically strangling himself while struggling and making them tighter around his neck, etc. Eventually got him freed but it was a battle.
6:00am Go to start van but the battery is dead. Power window wasn't working yesterday so I tried fixing it and left the key in the ignition overnight by mistake which drained the battery.
6:05 Window falls into door and it's now pouring out. Seat and everything else is getting soaked.
6:10 Run to get long extension cord from shed. Wife put all of her crap all over my stuff and now can't find cord. It's buried.
6:15 Get cord plugged in and fire up the power pack to jump start the van. It's all getting soaked including the battery terminals so it's not getting a proper connection. I'm now completely drenched.
6:20 Finally get the van started and drive to work with rain pouring in through driver's side window. I'm more drenched now.
6:30 The door to the empty house I'm working at that was supposed to be left unlocked isn't. It's 6:30am and the guy I'm working for isn't at work for another hour and a half for me to call him. I don't have his cel phone number for some stupid reason.

It could only go uphill from there.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,444 Posts
I hate when the guy you're paying $38/hr takes it upon himself to use the most populated bathroom in the house to do his deed, only to plug up the toilet with no plunger in site. Happened more than once, despite the warnings to do a quick plunger-check before dropping bombs.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I hate when the guy you're paying $38/hr takes it upon himself to use the most populated bathroom in the house to do his deed, only to plug up the toilet with no plunger in site. Happened more than once, despite the warnings to do a quick plunger-check before dropping bombs.
That’s terrible.
I don’t allow that on site. I make them log-out to go drop a deuce somewhere else (like a nearby gas station). No exceptions.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
5:30am. Thunder storm arrives. Dog who hates them goes under my computer desk and wraps the cords around himself. Basically strangling himself while struggling and making them tighter around his neck, etc. Eventually got him freed but it was a battle.
6:00am Go to start van but the battery is dead. Power window wasn't working yesterday so I tried fixing it and left the key in the ignition overnight by mistake which drained the battery.
6:05 Window falls into door and it's now pouring out. Seat and everything else is getting soaked.
6:10 Run to get long extension cord from shed. Wife put all of her crap all over my stuff and now can't find cord. It's buried.
6:15 Get cord plugged in and fire up the power pack to jump start the van. It's all getting soaked including the battery terminals so it's not getting a proper connection. I'm now completely drenched.
6:20 Finally get the van started and drive to work with rain pouring in through driver's side window. I'm more drenched now.
6:30 The door to the empty house I'm working at that was supposed to be left unlocked isn't. It's 6:30am and the guy I'm working for isn't at work for another hour and a half for me to call him. I don't have his cel phone number for some stupid reason.

I laughed out loud when I read this. Your miserable morning made for good comedy!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hate when calls from inquiries start with, "Well, I was gonna do it myself, but...."
They could tell me I won the lottery after that and I'd never know. Already tuned out and switched to auto-pilot.
haha yes!

"insert shitty paint brand" is actually really good paint. oh is it? want to give me some tips on how to cut in a wall as well?

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts

That'll teach you for starting work at 6:30 in the morning. Way too early for me!😅 Sounds like the worst Monday ever.!

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
That'll teach you for starting work at 6:30 in the morning. Way too early for me!😅 Sounds like the worst Monday ever.!
Exteriors I try to start as early as first light at least for setting up. Actually anything I like starting early because then I can leave early and not feel guilty if I want. Just can't run sanders and have to try and be quiet with ladders.

Morning dew this year has been awful to contend with. Been happening all year so far and it usually doesn't start until later in August. Weird weather year though so far. I think we've had more tornado warnings so far this year then I've ever seen in my entire life. Several touch downs in the area as well.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,444 Posts
Exteriors I try to start as early as first light at least for setting up. Actually anything I like starting early because then I can leave early and not feel guilty if I want. Just can't run sanders and have to try and be quiet with ladders.

Morning dew this year has been awful to contend with. Been happening all year so far and it usually doesn't start until later in August. Weird weather year though so far. I think we've had more tornado warnings so far this year then I've ever seen in my entire life. Several touch downs in the area as well.
Weird weather indeed. No tornadoes here, but we did have winter days with over 2' of snow on the ground and a summer day over 116°F, (46.6°C). The snow level I'm sure is laughable to you, but it happens so rarely here in Portland, OR. Usually averages about 2" for the total month of Feb. Pretty sure we set the record for the hottest day here too last month.
All that being said, I'd rather take those extremes over tornadoes any day. Scary stuff right there.

4601 - 4620 of 4653 Posts