Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
4621 - 4640 of 4653 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Exteriors I try to start as early as first light at least for setting up. Actually anything I like starting early because then I can leave early and not feel guilty if I want. Just can't run sanders and have to try and be quiet with ladders.

Morning dew this year has been awful to contend with. Been happening all year so far and it usually doesn't start until later in August. Weird weather year though so far. I think we've had more tornado warnings so far this year then I've ever seen in my entire life. Several touch downs in the area as well.
We had one of the wettest Julys on record in Massachusetts. And not painting for 2 days (Aug 4 and 5) due to downpours. It has not been an easy summer. And, I absolutely hate trying to fit in some interior work when it rains. The amount of effort that goes into moving my equipment is not worth it. Plus you really cannot leave an exterior partially done if you want to leave when the weather improves.

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
I hate that on Monday I have to paint the ceiling under the balcony at the back of a church with all the pews in the way. They aren't getting removed under any circumstances. I have no idea how I'm going to cover everything and still be able to move around. It's a pretty big ceiling too and I'm doing this by myself.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I hate that on Monday I have to paint the ceiling under the balcony at the back of a church with all the pews in the way. They aren't getting removed under any circumstances. I have no idea how I'm going to cover everything and still be able to move around. It's a pretty big ceiling too and I'm doing this by myself.
sounds like fun.
can you slide them around a bit, or no chance of that?

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
sounds like fun.
can you slide them around a bit, or no chance of that?
Nope, they're bolted together from end to end making them very long and fastened very securely to the floor. I'm thinking of plastic over two rows at a time, dropsheeting the rows in between I'll be moving on, painting out of a fiver with a grid cause I'm gonna have to move fast. Also gonna bring a bunch of massive dropsheets to see how covering them and pushing drop down onto floor in between although that seems like a trip hazard. Gonna have to do a few dry runs to see how mobility and reach works out.

Good thing is I priced it really high because I didn't want to get the job but they hired me anyway. Ugh. Just setting up is gonna be a time consuming task which they were very aware of.

I really gotta get used to just passing on jobs I don't want instead of trying to price myself out of them. I keep getting them then can't figure out how I'm gonna get them done! lol.

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
Nope, they're bolted together from end to end making them very long and fastened very securely to the floor. I'm thinking of plastic over two rows at a time, dropsheeting the rows in between I'll be moving on, painting out of a fiver with a grid cause I'm gonna have to move fast. Also gonna bring a bunch of massive dropsheets to see how covering them and pushing drop down onto floor in between although that seems like a trip hazard. Gonna have to do a few dry runs to see how mobility and reach works out.

Good thing is I priced it really high because I didn't want to get the job but they hired me anyway. Ugh. Just setting up is gonna be a time consuming task which they were very aware of.

I really gotta get used to just passing on jobs I don't want instead of trying to price myself out of them. I keep getting them then can't figure out how I'm gonna get them done! lol.
That’s what I finally had to do. It’s tough to learn to just say no but eventually it becomes a matter of self preservation. Believe me, it gets easier with practice.

Do you know any other painter that you would feel good about bringing in on the job to assist? I did that a handful of times and in all but one it worked out well. And even that one was more about the guy getting greedy after the work was done - no on the job issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
That’s what I finally had to do. It’s tough to learn to just say no but eventually it becomes a matter of self preservation. Believe me, it gets easier with practice.

Do you know any other painter that you would feel good about bringing in on the job to assist? I did that a handful of times and in all but one it worked out well. And even that one was more about the guy getting greedy after the work was done - no on the job issues.
Nope, the only other painter in town that I know is a complete Ahole, and I wouldn't even be interested in asking him for the time of day. Finding anyone to do anything work related right now is literally impossible. There are businesses in town that have had "now hiring" signs up for years. Restaurants are closing up three days a week because they can't hire staff. I suppose there are still some people sitting around getting covid benefits as well and happy to be doing so.

I saw a sign in front of a Subway sammich place yesterday offering a $300 cash signing bonus. It's crazy. They bumped up the minimum wage here in Ontario yesterday supposedly to fix things. Uh, raising it by $0.10/hr isn't going to make people jump.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
well...how'd it go?

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts
Nope, the only other painter in town that I know is a complete Ahole, and I wouldn't even be interested in asking him for the time of day. Finding anyone to do anything work related right now is literally impossible. There are businesses in town that have had "now hiring" signs up for years. Restaurants are closing up three days a week because they can't hire staff. I suppose there are still some people sitting around getting covid benefits as well and happy to be doing so.

I saw a sign in front of a Subway sammich place yesterday offering a $300 cash signing bonus. It's crazy. They bumped up the minimum wage here in Ontario yesterday supposedly to fix things. Uh, raising it by $0.10/hr isn't going to make people jump.
Is that $0.10 an hour in Canadian or American?

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
well...how'd it go?
Awful. Why do they make such little room in between pews. The stupid hymn books keep getting knocked out of their stupid shelves. Have to do shuffle steps in between pews so I don't trip over the poly or drops I've stuffed on the floor. Climbing around on pews is very slippery.

Organist gets there at 6:45am and starts practicing. Shoot me, he's gonna be there again this morning. Full volume.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
Awful. Why do they make such little room in between pews. The stupid hymn books keep getting knocked out of their stupid shelves. Have to do shuffle steps in between pews so I don't trip over the poly or drops I've stuffed on the floor. Climbing around on pews is very slippery.

Organist gets there at 6:45am and starts practicing. Shoot me, he's gonna be there again this morning. Full volume.
Could you put 4x8 sheets of plywood on the tops and walk on those?

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Could you put 4x8 sheets of plywood on the tops and walk on those?
Nah, that'd put you too close to the ceiling and would risk scratching up the wood. I did think about that though. I'm hoping that stomping around on the seats isn't marking them up. Doesn't seem to be.

I've never sworn so much while working in my life.

They're making me wear a mask all day long while I'm working even if I'm the only one in the building.

You don't realize how filthy churches are until you're painting them. Cobwebs everywhere on the walls/ceiling. Dead bugs, etc.

Organist asked me how he was going to get out yesterday as he didn't want to walk on my drop sheets for fear of getting paint on his shoes (I hadn't started painting yet). He actually asked if I'd move the drops for him, which I ignored. There's a piano tuner coming in today and he's likely going to be there for most of the day. Kill me.

That was the longest amount of time I've spent in a church in my life. I'd say I was happy to leave at the end of the day, but when I got home I realized that our female Rotti had shat herself in her kennel and it was every where. Must have gotten into something and I'm likely coming home to the same thing today.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Nah, that'd put you too close to the ceiling and would risk scratching up the wood. I did think about that though. I'm hoping that stomping around on the seats isn't marking them up. Doesn't seem to be.

They're making me wear a mask all day long while I'm working even if I'm the only one in the building.

You don't realize how filthy churches are until you're painting them. Cobwebs everywhere on the walls/ceiling. Dead bugs, etc.

Organist asked me how he was going to get out yesterday as he didn't want to walk on my drop sheets for fear of getting paint on his shoes (I hadn't started painting yet). He actually asked if I'd move the drops for him, which I ignored. There's a piano tuner coming in today and he's likely going to be there for most of the day. Kill me.

That was the longest amount of time I've spent in a church in my life. I'd say I was happy to leave at the end of the day, but when I got home I realized that our female Rotti had shat herself in her kennel and it was every where. Must have gotten into something and I'm likely coming home to the same thing today.
I invested in noise cancelling earbuds for just such occasions.

Sounds like a bad day, but it makes for great literature!

Hope your day was better today...
I’ve been potty training for the last couple months, so I am sad to say that I understand how it feels to find a smelly present when you get home after a long, frustrating day.

·
Administrator
21,545 Posts

Hmmmm… swearing all day while in a church and then coming home to this? Coincidence? Maybe… but maybe not.:rolleyes::unsure:;)

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Just to follow up on my church misadventures, I finished that job up yesterday. That was probably the biggest ceiling I've ever painted. From start to finish rolling it took exactly 2.5hrs/coat. One of those ones where you have to go through a checklist. 'Gotta go pee? Nope. Just had a smoke? Yep. Got you're bucket reload handy? Yep.' kind of thing. Weaving and shuffling through pews without tripping over your poly or drop sheets, knocking over bibles or hymn books, etc. My everything hurt when that was over with.

The organist dropped the nuclear solution on the last day I was there. I thought I was smart getting there really early so I could have some quiet time before he arrived to 'practice'. I was wrong. He'd gotten in there before me. I'm working away in delightful, peaceful quiet at 6:30AM...... BAGPIPES! The acoustics in there made them seem amplified! I thought about ramming my screwdriver into my ear drums, but reconsidered and chose to just ride out my punishment for invading his personal sanctuary. The guy was particularly sinister. When he finished up and was leaving he just walked by me like an assassin stepping over his victims lifeless body and said "good bye". You win Sir. You win.

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Bagpipes! lol. How can you tell when they're out of tune?
In my opinion, they're always out of tune. I live in a town with a strong Scottish background. Bagpipes are everywhere. You can't have a damn ceremony of any kind without bag pipes. Most here love them. Some, like myself find them torturous.

I once worked for a couple and the husband was literally JUST LEARNING to play them. He'd practice every single damn morning in his garage and it was absolutely horrible. He had no idea what he was doing. Thankfully I was doing the exterior and could just move to the back of the house until he was done for the day.

4621 - 4640 of 4653 Posts