Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
4641 - 4653 of 4653 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
One night when I lived in Reno, a bagpipe choir of about 12 rolled in our bar trying to raise money to go to the world bagpipe championships or some crap... We just had "long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll" from AC/DC on the jukebox, so we let them. It wasnt terrible. Dont know what ever happened with that.

·
Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
2,374 Posts
I saw a sign in front of a Subway sammich place yesterday offering a $300 cash signing bonus. It's crazy. They bumped up the minimum wage here in Ontario yesterday supposedly to fix things. Uh, raising it by $0.10/hr isn't going to make people jump.
The problem is people can work 40 hrs a week and on the minimum wage, it's not a living wage. Worse, many need to work 2-3 part time jobs because employers don't want to take the responsibilities of full time workers.That "Man of the people" really ticked me off with his 10 cent wage hike! What an insult! Polls say we'll be getting him for a second term after the next election. He has yet to consider working stiffs! He seems to love the big time developers and the rest can go hang themselves as far as he is concerned. 20 years ago, we were paying new hire clerks $20 an hour as soon as they came on board. At that time it was JUST a living wage. We always thought if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys that don't give a hoot about your business. (Store clerks generally get the minimum) Our clerks worked hard to help insure the business prospered and when it had bad times, it was no fault of theirs. We also felt if a business can not pay a living wage they are poor business people and have no right to be in business. If the cost of living keeps rising the way it has been of late and the wages continue to stagnate, I foresee trouble in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I hate that on Monday I have to paint the ceiling under the balcony at the back of a church with all the pews in the way. They aren't getting removed under any circumstances. I have no idea how I'm going to cover everything and still be able to move around. It's a pretty big ceiling too and I'm doing this by myself.
What about Ram Board? You could even put it on the seats of the pews. Then just drape plastic over the back rests.

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
So, the moral of the stories of the last two pages was churches suck?
I'd agree with that, but I've never had good luck working for churches. As much as I've whined about this one, it was just an annoying one more than anything else. The wearing a mask all day when you're literally working alone in the building sucked. The organ music was awful, but didn't last all day. The ceiling was technically just a tough, big one. The 150yr old walls were literally falling apart.

The last time I dealt with a church, they just wanted the entrance way painted. So, they took me on a one hour tour of the entire building despite my saying I had to go. Introduced me to everyone in the church telling them I was their new painter despite the fact that I'd probably never see these people again. Asked me for all sorts of advice about the painting and everything else. Told me I had the job and I told them it'd be about a month before I could start. When I called them three weeks later about a start date, they told me they'd got someone else to do it who could do it right away.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ah, very considerate Christians! (Again!) Nothing would irritate me more than slotting a job that evaporates. A very good reason to get a SIGNED contract, IMO. As someone in the business told me, many years ago, as I was just starting on my own: "I don't care if it's your Grandmother, make everybody sign!!" 🖋📋✔

·
Super Moderator
6,749 Posts
Ah, very considerate Christians! (Again!) Nothing would irritate me more than slotting a job that evaporates. A very good reason to get a SIGNED contract, IMO. As someone in the business told me, many years ago, as I was just starting on my own: "I don't care if it's your Grandmother, make everybody sign!!" 🖋📋✔
I'm 100% sure that if I got everyone to sign a contract around here, I'd get laughed out of town.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'm 100% sure that if I got everyone to sign a contract around here, I'd get laughed out of town.
Why? Even in my new little city it comes off as more professional and you could sell the idea as a surety for both HO & yourself. I've know a few people around here that got skrewed by painting "companies" and are only to happy to have it all on paper. I, myself, reject any company that does not produce a printed contract. I've hired roofers, HVAC companies and plumbers, every one had to produce a written proposal that turned into a signed contract. I never cared hoe cheap the quote if they were not prepared to put it on paper. What's the population there? In any case, it wouldn't hurt to test those waters. (I am in the Niagara Region of Ontario though the bulk of my working life was in Toronto. For work, I loved Toronto!)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I work for a lot of repeat customers, designers, and contractors and hardly ever get anything signed. What I almost always do is email a written estimate. An emailed reply agreeing to the estimate is enough for me.
It's still in writing! I agree, technology allows electronic transfers now. That was not an option when I started out and for the greatest part of my working life. The truth to tell, with most of my regular, repeat clients, contracts were not so much a concern, both parties had, long ago, learned what they were getting. I still won't schedule a job with out proof of confirmation.

4641 - 4653 of 4653 Posts