Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a job about sixty miles up in the mountains coming up. Realized I was getting low on my cutting in brush of choice. Since SW bought out Purdy my regular supplier is only special ordering their brushes. I called SW and they had only one in stock. Against my better judgement I called HD

me - "I'm looking for Purdy brush *** ***, model number 12345678 - 1234, two inch angle-sash."
Note - I was VERY specific as to the brush name AND model number.

Three minutes on hold.
HD guy - "Yeah, we have that one. About six in stock."

I drive across town, go into HD and guess what? The brush I described is nowhere to be seen. I call the clerk I spoke to over to the brush section and tell him I'm the guy who called earlier. Could he please show me the brush I asked for? He looks around and points to to an XL. NOT the brush I asked for. It IS a 2" angle sash and it IS a Purdy but that's as close as it gets.

me- "Can you show me where is says it's a *** ***, model number 12345678-1234?"

HD guy - "Uhhhhh....."

Really p----d off I leave the store and go to my regular supplier who says he can order the brushes and have them for me in three days.
Later I call HD and ask to speak to a manager. I tell him what happened and that this is why I don't care to conduct business with them. His response is, "Have you ever made a mistake?"

HUH???

me - "Yeah, I called you guys thinking I could get decent service."

He goes into a big spiel about how they want to make it right and they can beat anyones' prices and they want to talk with me about what they can do for me. They also say they will order in a case of the brushes I wanted and give the first two to me for free. He then asks what my regular supplier sells them to me for so he knows how much to price them at.

me- "No-no-no, that's not how it works"! YOU tell me what your price is!"

I also tell him that I really like my regular supplier and only checked with them against my better judgement because I was in a bind. Price isn't everything - service is more important and once again they showed me what their service is like. I'm still so mad I don't think I'll even go in for my two free brushes.

So... lesson learned... never again. :wallbash:
PS - HD's price came in a little over $2 more per brush more than my regular guy.

Reactions: bikerboy

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do the same - just thought I had more on hand than I actually did and that was all my fault. Usually SW has enough on hand to get me through until my regular order comes in but they just happened to be low on them. I wouldn't have really minded, or been surprised, if HD had said they didn't have them - it was being told they had them when they obviously didn't that ticked me off.
The "opportunity" here is to remember why I dislike dealing with the local HD's paint department. This isn't my first negative experience with them.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
me - "I'm looking for Purdy brush *** ***, model number 12345678 - 1234, two inch angle-sash."

Is this like top secret information??:blink:

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Is this like top secret information??:blink:
Nah... just didn't feel like going out to the truck to dig one out and look - or that anyone would care what brush it actually was.
Purdy 2" Pro-Extra Glide U.P.C. #716341015930
It's only the brand and model number of the roller covers I use that are classified info.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Typical box store employee. I avoid doing business with Lowes and Home Depot for this very reason.

Add up your time lost and you aren't saving anything, in fact its costing your business money.

I ordered some shutters as requested by a homeowner a few months back and had the model number from the site. I get to the contractor desk and guess what? We don't have any product with that number. So I pull it up on my phone and show it to him, ummmm duhhhhhh. I can't order it from that number, our computers are on a different system.

An hour later the store manager finally gets it sorted.:censored:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
researchhound said:
Had a job about sixty miles up in the mountains coming up. Realized I was getting low on my cutting in brush of choice. Since SW bought out Purdy my regular supplier is only special ordering their brushes. I called SW and they had only one in stock. Against my better judgement I called HD

Note - I was VERY specific as to the brush name AND model number.

Three minutes on hold. HD guy - "Yeah, we have that one. About six in stock."

I drive across town, go into HD and guess what? The brush I described is nowhere to be seen. I call the clerk I spoke to over to the brush section and tell him I'm the guy who called earlier. Could he please show me the brush I asked for? He looks around and points to to an XL. NOT the brush I asked for. It IS a 2" angle sash and it IS a Purdy but that's as close as it gets.

me- "Can you show me where is says it's a *** ***, model number 12345678-1234?"

HD guy - "Uhhhhh....."

Really p----d off I leave the store and go to my regular supplier who says he can order the brushes and have them for me in three days.
Later I call HD and ask to speak to a manager. I tell him what happened and that this is why I don't care to conduct business with them. His response is, "Have you ever made a mistake?"

HUH???

me - "Yeah, I called you guys thinking I could get decent service."

He goes into a big spiel about how they want to make it right and they can beat anyones' prices and they want to talk with me about what they can do for me. They also say they will order in a case of the brushes I wanted and give the first two to me for free. He then asks what my regular supplier sells them to me for so he knows how much to price them at.

me- "No-no-no, that's not how it works"! YOU tell me what your price is!"

I also tell him that I really like my regular supplier and only checked with them against my better judgement because I was in a bind. Price isn't everything - service is more important and once again they showed me what their service is like. I'm still so mad I don't think I'll even go in for my two free brushes.

So... lesson learned... never again. :wallbash:
PS - HD's price came in a little over $2 more per brush more than my regular guy.
All this over a brush? I would not have driven across town for a brush.

·
Shazaam!
859 Posts
Dont act like the empty nesters and the college bros that work at your local SW know **** either.
I will take the service I get from my local paint store any day over what I've dealt with at the big box. And trust me, I'm not a big box hater, they just suck in the paint dept.

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All this over a brush? I would not have driven across town for a brush.
I can understand your reaction. Unfortunately there are only three places in my town that have paint supplies and HD is one of them.
Initially it was just about the brushes. After that it became an issue of respect. By failing to give me a correct answer to my phone enquiry and wasting my time the clerk disrespected me as a customer. The manager further disrespected me as a professional by trying to convince me that I should actually do MORE business with them because they could save me a few bucks. Hey, so what if your regular supplier gives you a great product, good prices, knowledgeable advice, outstanding service, and a ton of referrals? Buy your stuff from us because we're CHEAPER (they weren't)!
We talk all the time here about how professionalism, quality work, and business integrity are more important than offering the lowest price. Then to see the opposite of that thrown in my face just got to me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dont act like the empty nesters and the college bros that work at your local SW know **** either.
It's hit or miss honestly, The 3 closest SWs near me all have extremely knowledgeable employees who also are honest about comparing their products to other paint manufacturers (unlike the reps)

The 3 closest durons are full of dumb asses (except one)

They have the same problem any other company has regardless of what they do, finding personnel who make an effort. It's just harder when the entry level pay is in the single digits.

Think about it, manually matching difficult colors perfectly requires experience and skill as well as knowledge of colors. Would you be willing to perform such a technically difficult feat for $9/hr?

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's hit or miss honestly, The 3 closest SWs near me all have extremely knowledgeable employees who also are honest about comparing their products to other paint manufacturers (unlike the reps)

The 3 closest durons are full of dumb asses (except one)

They have the same problem any other company has regardless of what they do, finding personnel who make an effort. It's just harder when the entry level pay is in the single digits.

Think about it, manually matching difficult colors perfectly requires experience and skill as well as knowledge of colors. Would you be willing to perform such a technically difficult feat for $9/hr?
I've only dealt with the SW in my town and they actually know their stuff. The guys working there have been around and have good product knowledge and bend over backwards to be of service. I'd deal with them more except my regular supplier (Miller Paints) is even better. Imagine I could go to a Miller in another town and not like them at all. Like you said... hit or miss.
Hey! There might even be an HD paint department out there somewhere that has it's act together... nah! :no:

·
Registered
226 Posts
my hd and lowes are great .good hard working people .they could be sitting at home watching springer waiting on a check but their putting a honest days work for not a lot of money. are their bad workers at the big boxes ?yea just like their are hacks. were painters we should know what we need .here's what i need in customer service in a big box. hey how you doing can you throw this cover stain in the shaker for me? yep no problem. thanks a lot see you later

·
17,818 Posts
Capaint, I seriously think you need your own forum, website or maybe even a radio show so you can go on endlessly about how much you hate SW. We get it.
lol

I am learning a lot about this guy, he hates SW because he does not get a good discount, buys sundries at the dollar store and loves pricing threads. I can't wait for the next layer of the onion to be revealed. :jester:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts