Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or perhaps I got a bad batch.
Repainted tan doors with S&W gloss white over tan. After washing, sanding, and priming the doors painted with eggshell or satin tan paint, I needed to put three coats of paint to get a solid looking doors.
Never needed three coats before. Anyone else experienced this with paint or other paint.
Has a side note, I really hate the statement "one coat guaranteed" statement paint companies or peddling with a little * that explains in small print when this is possible under not so usaul situations.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,113 Posts
Or perhaps I got a bad batch.
Repainted tan doors with S&W gloss white over tan. After washing, sanding, and priming the doors painted with eggshell or satin tan paint, I needed to put three coats of paint to get a solid looking doors.
Never needed three coats before. Anyone else experienced this with paint or other paint.
Has a side note, I really hate the statement "one coat guaranteed" statement paint companies or peddling with a little * that explains in small print when this is possible under not so usaul situations.
White over Tan is always 3 coats imo. Even Aura. Especially in a gloss.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,150 Posts
There has been a lot of knock on various SW products here over the years. Although I am in no way a SW fanboy, I think they are pretty much like any paint company in that they make some products that are good and others that are less so. I used Duration on the exterior (HardiPlank) of my place and have nothing but good things to say about it.

As others have noted, going over a smooth surface (like a door) with gloss white is typically going to be a three coater regardless of the brand. Maybe two if spraying, but you didn’t say what method of application you were using.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You just said SW paint, you didnt say what kind of paint...
My bad Semi-gloss white.
In case I didn't say, after cleaning, sanding, removing sand dust 2 coats of bonding primer.
Probably one coat of bonding primer, one coat of hide primer would have worked better.
Although, one door, with same previous paint, same prep, 2 coats of semi gloss Behr water based alkyd worked fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You just said SW paint, you didnt say what kind of paint...
My bad. I don't remember which paint except it was their brand semi gloss white, water based.
One door, same previous paint, same prep, same nap and brand name, same quality rollers, 2 coats Behr water based alkyd worked perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the answers. I feel better about it knowing that 3 coats is normal under said conditions. Although, I know I've painted doors with semi gloss white before but don't recall doing more than 2 coats.
But then again, I usaully use a hide primer indoors but because of other reasons, I used a bonding primer. Also, I am used to wood panel doors, these were a solid, not in density but rather one flat piece of some type composite material which I imagine both can contribute to the difference?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been using Sherwin Williams since 85. I think they now have to many products and have changed formulas on many of their paints. I will say Emerald is still a good product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts