Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, here's my question for the day: If it was your house, new construction, what would you use/do:

Paint 1930 sq ft + 9 ft ceilings, roughly 17 (counting double closet doors) and the woodwork to boot.

There is a trayed ceiling running the entire kitchen/dining/living room, and a trayed ceiling the master.

Would you use a white on the ceiling or same color as the walls. (A light warm gray, with olive and umber undertones is the main color.) And how many coats?

Would you spray or roll?

What would you use for a stain and clear coat on the millwork?

Just thought I would ask! I find it interesting, all the different brand referrals and techniques! You all seem to have neat ideas!

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I use BM Superhide flat white on my ceilings, It's not a pure white kind of a very slight tint of gray.

New construction we spray as long as the GC doesn't put flooring down other wise we cut and roll.

Woodwork unless it's an exotic type (hard woods) of wood I prefer paint, I am starting to like the Matte finish on trim.

Doors I would bring into the basement and spray them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would prime all walls and ceilings with 123, finish coat ceilings with the California paints ceiling paint in brilliant white, double coat walls with C2 Luxe eggshell (kind of moving away from BM these days). I might bring the wall color up into the flat portion of the tray ceiling. If the trim is stained, I would apply one coat sanding sealer and one coat quick dry satin varnish (Glidden Professional/ICI products) that would be sprayed with an airless. For painted trim, I still like Aura satin, two coats sprayed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ceilings I would use Coronado final touch touch or chb from sherwin williams. Walls regal select matte finish and trim advance satin finish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
my advice is - never get involved with the colour scheme. Recommend a colour consultant and it takes away a lot of responsibility.

Just concentrate on applying the paint.
That made me giggle! Closest one would be about 60 miles away here. I would never claim to be a decorator, but I am pretty good with color.

It's slightly frightening when the adorable little old lady, who's always had white walls, says to me "Here's my carpet and my window treatments, just pick me a color, honey." Yikes! However, I haven't had a repaint yet in situation like that!

Does that ever happen to you all? Or is it just me?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since you didn't ask for product recommendations, I'll be generic and use only color and sheen recommendations.

I'd white everything out with a good high build primer. Spray & backroll.

Using a low sheen but not flat (personal preference), cut and roll your walls & horizontal ceiling area w/ same color and sheen. I'm the exception to the rule and am not big on stained woodwork so I'd paint the vertical surfaces of the ceiling tray the same color as the trim using the same sheen as the walls. Two coats. I'd choose a much lighter color for the trim so it pops and do semi gloss on the trim. If the homeowners preference was stained trim I'd use either a waterbased semi gloss lacquer or waterbased urethane for the finish.

Find a focal point in the living room such as a fire place wall etc, and paint an accent wall a bold color that contrasts against the main color. A bold brick type color for example will make a great place for the homeowner to hang family pictures to call attention to them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you didn't ask for product recommendations, I'll be generic and use only color and sheen recommendations.

I would love some product recommendations. I like SW stain, but not really their paint. I think I'm in the minority there.

The woodwork will be stained.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would prime everything. Lowsheen on the ceilings, with the inset part of the tray tinted to 25% of the wall color and the outer part white, or the inset part of the tray white and the outer part 150-200% of the wall color.

Walls would go eggshell.

Trim would be painted semigloss, but if I had to leave the wood it would probably be natural with 2-4 coats of Semigloss clear.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If it were my home prime everything to be painted. leave the wood bare natural wood looks way better then painted sorry covering up natural beautiful wood should be a crime in my opinion. flat on the ceiling eggshell on the walls.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
If it were my home prime everything to be painted. leave the wood bare natural wood looks way better then painted sorry covering up natural beautiful wood should be a crime in my opinion. flat on the ceiling eggshell on the walls.
Around here it is crappy looking pine/poplar in most NC. The only times we see good looking wood is on the real expensive homes. Which I would put a clear on or a stain to bring out the beauty of the wood.

If it was really my own home I couldn't afford the nice woods so painting it would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
That made me giggle! Closest one would be about 60 miles away here. I would never claim to be a decorator, but I am pretty good with color.

It's slightly frightening when the adorable little old lady, who's always had white walls, says to me "Here's my carpet and my window treatments, just pick me a color, honey." Yikes! However, I haven't had a repaint yet in situation like that!

Does that ever happen to you all? Or is it just me?
Don't worry be happee!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts