Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I work for an industrial automation company and I am designing a machine that will do batch painting for small explosive parts.

I'm spraying Glyptal 1201.

I'm using an ANI Automatic spray gun hooked up to a C.A. Technologies 2.5 gallon, dual regulated pressure tank.

I've been having some trouble getting defined answers so I wanted to ask here, some hobbyists and professionals what they think.

My only other experience with spray equipments came in the form of another robotic application where we were spraying turbine stators with a dangerous, high chromium paint.

We used a Devilbiss Transtech Auto gun attached to Binks 1 gallon pressure pots. The fan/atomization air was regulated separately from the HFRL.

In this setup, ran the fan/atomization air at about 40 PSI and had the paint pots agitating and running at about 12 psi. We came up with this from a lot of trial and error.

I guess my questions is, what is typical pressures here? What should the fan/atomization air be around? What should the pressure pots be around?

Should atomization air ever be below pot pressure?

Thanks for your help. I have a lot more robotic painting applications come up in the future and I've been dubbed the house "paint man". I'm happy to be it, I just need some knowledge!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Your biggest problem almost 100% of us have never even heard of your products that you are asking about. Including myself. Most times when spraying some thing when it comes out it is like a weak male piss stream. The only way I know how to describe it. Should atomization air ever be below pot pressure? above the pot pressure. Pot pressure most of the time it is around 10 to 20 lb Gun up around lb. BUT THIS IS ALL A GUESS
This is more of a painting contractor site After you ask the sales rep. hunt up some auto paint forms.
David

·
17,849 Posts
I have to agree with contacting a rep and searching out auto painting forum advice, we are a group of mostly residential, commercial and a few agricultural painters so we are probably not the right fit for your needs.

·
Paint Store
29 Posts
The pressure in the pot sounds right. Maximum pressures are going to be specific to your materials, and most paint pots can take 60 or 80 psi but tend to run around 10-15 psi. So 12 sounds right on to me.

To me, the atomization pressure sounds high, but it depends where you are reading it from. At the end of the hose from the pot to the gun, you are likely to see pressures around 50-60 psi, but the gun air regualtor, the pressure that atomizes the paint is usually lower. I cant think of specific relation to the pot pressure. Standard sprayers can spray from maybe 20-50psi, but nicer HVLP sprayers are closer to 10psi.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
XLT,

Material viscocity varies among coatings. There is no one size that fits all. As straight line suggested, start with the coating manufacturers recommendation, and requirements for spray application. Fluid nozzles, and air caps will also have an affect on spray pot adjustments. Sometimes adjustments have to be made beyond those of the manufacturers recommendations because of the uncontrolled environments you may be working in.

Take care to not over thin your material in order to spray better. This will compromise the coating DFT, and may drastically reduce the products intended qualities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back in the days when I did automotive and industrial painting, once I had the correct paint viscosity it was only a matter of adjusting the fluid rate along with the desired pattern while doing a test application to get what I wanted. Usually kept gun pressure at the gun at 35 PSI but that was before HVLP. I looked at those ANI robotic guns (heads) and don't see a fluid adjustment- is there one? Pot pressure shouldn't matter in the application, it only needs to push the paint to the gun through the hose. The fluid adjustment determines the amount of paint.

Exactly what problems are you having? Quick fix is to go over to a local autobody shop and borrow their painter for an hour. :yes:

My only other experience with spray equipments came in the form of another robotic application where we were spraying turbine stators with a dangerous, high chromium paint.

Automotive/industrial paints are just as bad now, that's why I quit and went to something much safer.:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts