Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I went to local Paint store today where they sell Sikkens. I told the guy what I would be doing.

The HO is power washing the deck and all I have to do is apply new stain. OK, sounds easy enough. I will be using Sikkens Cetol SRD. I also told the rep I will be doing two coats of stain and one coat of sealer. The rep looked me and laughed. I began to ask him whats wrong with that. Decks need to be sealed.

He told about the peeling. Peeling happens after 1 to 2 years. Ok fine. So I got my color samples for HO and left.

So what do you think, 2 coats of stain and 1 coat of sealer. Or just 2 coats of stain. I would think the deck would last longer with a sealer on it.

I know they make Sikkens with a sealer in it but they only come in clear. The deck I am doing is colored.

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Your Sikkens will be the sealer. Your salesperson should heave told you that this is a one coat product. (of course there are a ton of ignorant people out there)

CLick here and READ: http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.cfm?product_id=59&product_category=deck

You should also click and download the Technical Data Sheet. It is on the link that was provided. It will give both preparation and application data that you need. (under the can, 4th line of text.)

· The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Also remember your letting the HO wash it. Don't warranty a thing... Just like most guys here would not let HO's pay for paint I sure wouldn't let a HO clean a deck for me. Decks are all about prep just like anything else.

Also why did you think you would need three coats on a deck? Like Biker said read your product info...

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info. I had not plan to warranty any part of the staining. I know how HO are when it comes to this kind of stuff. They just wash and call it good.

See I have really never used Sikkens before so I thought i would need 3 coats. Also the guy that was helping at the paint store never told me this. Normally I just had to seal decks so I would just buy the sealer.

Yeah, I could have read the product info, I guess I never gave that a thought. Thanks again.

· Registered
148 Posts
doesnt the srd have a film finish on it??? Might not be the best idea for a deck when its wet, unless you like busted tail bones. Might want to consider their deck alternative (Im not 100% on this but I think there is one)

· Registered
273 Posts
sev,

you mentioned that the deck you are doing is colored. does that mean that there is already a colored finish on the deck that you will be applying over? rethink your plan if that is the case. SRD is meant to go on bare wood, no previous coatings allowed.

john

· Registered
80 Posts
ok, its good you mentioned that.
The people on this site are great, I wish this site was around when i first started you guys could have saved my ass, just like you saved seversons.

another point, After you have stained a deck with a oil-based clear/toner/semitransparent stain, It is SEALED, further coats are only going to cause the painter agony, agony, agony. The second coat has nowhere to go because the deck is already SEALED, The second coat just sits on top, does not penetrate into the wood and one is left with a blotchy, tacky disaster. I learned the hard way years ago, always read the can, always severson. Who knows how long that guy at the paint store has been in paint? :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.