Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

I'm getting a lot of cheap leads on Thumbtack

14K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  SkinnyAdam 
#1 · (Edited)
I signed up free and they send me leads via txt on my phone and email. The cost is about 8.00 a lead I think and I did get credit on one without asking which is nice. I just learned that you can ask a question just like on EBAY. You can give a fixed price, an hourly rate, or just say you need information. So far I haven't closed any deals but I am new. I get a lot of txts and you don't have to respond. It looks like a good tool. You get credits if you refer people.

Here is a link: http://www.thumbtack.com/welcome?refer=ww8$9tj0L3pKcQ

Have you had a positive or negative experience with it? Thanks

#4 ·
I got a few leads from thumbtack earlier this year, never got any responses back. I received one for some commercial linoleum and coved base, sent the onfo to a friend, he never mentioned getting a response back.

I felt like after I was signed up, I got a few leads. Seemed fishy. Not saying people don't get solid leads, but alone the same lines as other lead services

#5 ·
I think I got lucky. The first or second one I bought I got a decent job from. After that they got a little lame, but lately I've just had way too many bid requests to even think about paying to play their game. I get email notices that John W needs a bid on interior painting. Then I can click the link to go to the site and see a little info on it. I don't pay anything unless I decide to proceed. It sounds like you have some sort of auto pay thing going on. I wouldn't like that. As George Z wisely pointed out on another thread, the more contractors pay for these types of services, the more power and SEO they get, making it harder for the individual contractor to rank for online searches.

#9 ·
I signed up and so far have not been very impressed. The information that is provided my the HO is so vague (three or more rooms, one room...ect) that I feel I cannot provide an estimate. I have asked questions of jobs that I was interested in twice, and both times I did not receive a reply. Twice I put in a bid, and both times the money was returned because the HO never looked at the bid.
When I signed up I sent a message to Thumbtack expressing my concerns about providing an estimate for a property that I cannot visit. I was assured that there were ways to get this information from the HO. This has not happened. I think in order for this to really work for painters, the website needs to force the HO to provide more information up front, like the actually size of the room to be painted, #of windows, #of doors, baseboards, and perhaps have them post some pictures of the area to be painted.

#10 ·
Pete the Painter said:
I signed up and so far have not been very impressed. The information that is provided my the HO is so vague (three or more rooms, one room...ect) that I feel I cannot provide an estimate. I have asked questions of jobs that I was interested in twice, and both times I did not receive a reply. Twice I put in a bid, and both times the money was returned because the HO never looked at the bid.
When I signed up I sent a message to Thumbtack expressing my concerns about providing an estimate for a property that I cannot visit. I was assured that there were ways to get this information from the HO. This has not happened. I think in order for this to really work for painters, the website needs to force the HO to provide more information up front, like the actually size of the room to be painted, #of windows, #of doors, baseboards, and perhaps have them post some pictures of the area to be painted.
Why can't you go see them? If you can't get in to look in person how are you going to get in to paint? Sounds pretty silly. Them denying you to look sounds as if they are hoping you don't see all the things that will up the price.

#13 ·
I agree. Service providers are only given a first name and last initial, and the city that the HO lives. I was once provided with a phone number after I submitted a bid. I called, but the HO never returned the call. I am not sure what the people that win the bids run into once they actually go to the job. It is set up so that you have 24 hours to provide a quote. I just got a lead with this info "Walls, Ceiling," "4 rooms or more," House is Empty." This is all that is provided to give an estimate in 24 hours. Thinking about leaving the service and demanding my money be returned to my bank account. The service provider is required to pay a fee to make a bid and if the HO does not look at the bid the money it is credited to your account. The money is not actually returned to you, which I guess encourages you to make more bids.

#14 ·
Pete the Painter said:
I agree. Service providers are only given a first name and last initial, and the city that the HO lives. I was once provided with a phone number after I submitted a bid. I called, but the HO never returned the call. I am not sure what the people that win the bids run into once they actually go to the job. It is set up so that you have 24 hours to provide a quote. I just got a lead with this info "Walls, Ceiling," "4 rooms or more," House is Empty." This is all that is provided to give an estimate in 24 hours. Thinking about leaving the service and demanding my money be returned to my bank account. The service provider is required to pay a fee to make a bid and if the HO does not look at the bid the money it is credited to your account. The money is not actually returned to you, which I guess encourages you to make more bids.
I'd say get rid of that service.. I would never agree to a prices before looking at it... Rarely will I even give a ballpark. You never know what you. Can get yourself into.

#16 ·
Well,
I was just about to give up on Thumbtack. Yesterday I got a lead for a pretty big job in my town, so I thought I give it a try. Asked the HO the size of the rooms, and number of windows and doors. HO gave a very good breakdown (this was the first time that a HO has replied). I gave him an estimate (which the HO looked at, which is also a first), with the stipulation that since I have not seen the property it may increase. I also informed him that if he wanted a firm estimate I could come over to see the work that needs to be done. Heading over there this afternoon. If the HO is happy, and it is as he described I could have a job over $2,500. If this works out I may stick with Thumbtack, but never put in a bid until I get much more detail as I have this time.

#18 ·
Pete the Painter said:
Well,
I was just about to give up on Thumbtack. Yesterday I got a lead for a pretty big job in my town, so I thought I give it a try. Asked the HO the size of the rooms, and number of windows and doors. HO gave a very good breakdown (this was the first time that a HO has replied). I gave him an estimate (which the HO looked at, which is also a first), with the stipulation that since I have not seen the property it may increase. I also informed him that if he wanted a firm estimate I could come over to see the work that needs to be done. Heading over there this afternoon. If the HO is happy, and it is as he described I could have a job over $2,500. If this works out I may stick with Thumbtack, but never put in a bid until I get much more detail as I have this time.
That's the thing they want a estimate site unseen and unknown measurements of rooms or buildings. The HO usually gets 5 quotes! So the Contactor gives them a guesstimate then gets there's contact info. Hey I hope it works out for you but most HO want one thing using a lead service. A low price.

#19 ·
I get the requests almost everyday. Thumbtack sends me an email reminder and around here are usually 2-3 quotes submitted sometimes just one.

I went to do one like a year ago and got the job. Their fee is around $ 5 which is ok compare to like Merchant Circle that wants $35 per lead.

#20 ·
What's really getting under my skin is that they are dominating all the local search results.

Thumbtack created a "top 20 painters" in each area page so they rank super high in each city. When its clicked on they bring the potential client through their sales funnel.

Great idea on their part but its hurts rankings for the local guys. Not to mention, I've been getting flooded with thumbtack leads since they did that. I REALLY dislike them.

#22 ·
What's keeping you from doing the same thing? Why don't you do a "Best of" painters from your town, and give a short one line overview of each of them? Don't say anything not true, (slander), and try to say one nice thing about each of them.

You can also try to rank for your competitors names by doing this, doing a Vs.article on some of them, etc.

You don't get ahead by doing what everyone else is doing, you have to be different. Talk about prices, competition, products you like and don't like, etc. All that information is out there anyway, and your prospects are going to find it, they know how to use Google. Why not become the authority in your area by discussing what everyone else won't?

Just food for thought.

#25 ·
Rich Littlefield said:
What's keeping you from doing the same thing? Why don't you do a "Best of" painters from your town, and give a short one line overview of each of them? Don't say anything not true, (slander), and try to say one nice thing about each of them.

You can also try to rank for your competitors names by doing this, doing a Vs.article on some of them, etc.

You don't get ahead by doing what everyone else is doing, you have to be different. Talk about prices, competition, products you like and don't like, etc. All that information is out there anyway, and your prospects are going to find it, they know how to use Google. Why not become the authority in your area by discussing what everyone else won't?

Just food for thought.
Blogging about paint costs can be a good thing . Thumbtack leads form customers want a price through email from a brief description of the area the want painted. Some will give you there phone number or email to get more info others get 5 quotes without any additional info. A recent lead from thumbtack goes like this. Areas to be painted: Master bedroom, bathroom, spare room, closets. Walls only homeowner will supply paint and move all furniture ( yes sure they will).

Personally we don't do jobs unless we supply labor and material and its usually a good thing to know how big the rooms are. I agree there is allot we can blog about but getting ranked on google now is all about money and these lead company's like thumbtack that's there business .

#26 ·
I never used lead services, I was in a really specialty market after about 5 years in.

I respectfully disagree about getting ranked being all about money.

You only need to dominate for a small area, or specific niche, they have to rank for all kinds of terms amd areas.

They just know more than you about some things.
They don't know more than you about painting, though.

Forget ranking and Google for a bit, and try to win over your prospects. Help them like only you can, and watch what happens.

#27 ·
Rich Littlefield said:
I never used lead services, I was in a really specialty market after about 5 years in.

I respectfully disagree about getting ranked being all about money.

You only need to dominate for a small area, or specific niche, they have to rank for all kinds of terms amd areas.

They just know more than you about some things.
They don't know more than you about painting, though.

Forget ranking and Google for a bit, and try to win over your prospects. Help them like only you can, and watch what happens.
Small area? Not where we do business you would never survive. And as for google it's all about money in my HO. Your lucky you are in a specialty service because tons of homeowners do go through lead services would rather have a quote vet the phone or by email just giving you there measurements .

I've been at this for 30 plus yrs I know a little about marketing my company and at least in my area it's never ever been more competitive . I'm no fan of lead services but I only see them growing .

#29 ·
Nick, I appreciate your experience, and I'm sure you know more than "a little" about marketing.

Nick, would you rather be a big fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big pond? Addressing your small area comment, marketing principles dictate that its always, always, always better to segment your market and dominate a small portion in some way than to throw a bigger net and not dominate.

That may be by area, type of work, (specialize), type of customer, or anything else you can think of to narrow your focus.

I didn't explain it in detail, but by "small area" I meant focusing your marketing to dominate "something".

#31 ·
I got signed up with HomeAdvisor.com. I wasn't interested when the lady called to set me up, but when you type in "painters in Bend," it comes up pretty high. Higher than Angie's, I believe.

We've landed 3-5 jobs from it. Usually going up against 3-5 other bids, but it's way better than nothing during our 6-month too-cold-for-exterior season.

You pay per lead, depending on the scope of work. If the customer ends up being a dead lead, you get your money back. You get all their info; name, address, phone, and a description they type out for you. Then you try to be the first to call (we love when they say "WOW, I literally just clicked submit!!")

It's paid for itself and then some!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.