Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Impervo

10K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  DCcenter 
#1 ·
Been a few years since I used oil Impervo. Forgot how nice it works (w/Penetrol).

Painted some built-ins that were hacked w/latex. Sanded the hell out of them and got rid of all the fat edges. Applied a split-coat of BM oil primer and Impervo followed by a full coat of Impervo.

They came out sweet! Look like they were sprayed.

It's been a while since I made a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

#19 ·
VD - Have you tried the new advance yet? i think it works just as well as good old impervo if not better, cuz here (at least in IL) they have messed with old impervo to get it closer to the voc laws and I think it changed for the worst. The new advance is nice and thins with water believe it or not.

#20 ·
That's funny you mention that. I was just in BM yesterday and was chatting with the owner for 1/2 hour or so. I only use BM when it's specified on a job which is once every few years, so I don't know a lot about their products.

As we were discussing some of the products, he told me that one product he WON'T sell is the Advance. What he told me, is that when they were product testing before release, Advance worked awesome, but when they officially released it, something had changed with the formula. I guess after numerous contractor complaints about it running and sagging, they won't sell it any longer.

Don't shoot the messenger.....this is just what I was told. Never tried Advance myself.

#23 ·
well if it works and the voc are complainant then just use it.

It just seems that everyone needs to "not like" something to just complain.

If you're a real painter you should be able to use any and most products available to us...

just saying.

Also the price on Advance is cheaper then Impervo and Aura for that matter which is what we have been using on Trim for over a year now.

#32 ·
question here for you guys (actually wish Retired would pop up for this one),

Background: I did a cabinet door sample with SW waterborne Alkyd, and I changed it up to a proclassic latex topcoat, because I am faux finishing the cabinetry.

Here is the question: I want to use up this gallon of limey green colored waterborne alkyd (color stays the same) and wanted to throw it into a split coat with some primer. What primer should I be using? Would it work? My assumption is an oil based primer would work, but I dont feel like wasting any primer in the pursuit of using up materials. If it did work, would using this as a spli coat kill adhesion for latex bond?

Deep thoughts.... any insight?

#35 ·
not really planning on doing it, (but I might) but someone is gonna try sooner than later. were entering new territory with hybrid paints. Obviously, no rep is gonna back this kind of move, ever, but doesn't mean it wouldnt be worth trying. My major issue is still, A) will waterborne oil blend with alkyd and B) will there be an adhesion issue with latex as a top coat.

I'm never going to use this gallon up, so I think I will try on a scrap door after I'm done priming with oil tomorrow.

Bottom line is I'm never gonna know until I try...

#40 ·
We sell Adavnce (and are set up for GenX), but painters either hate it or love it. In the NW, theres been alot of problems with the paint sagging on vertical surfaces. We've given out some quarts for guys to test, and the majority dont like it. Now when we got the prototype and made sample boards, it worked beautifully, so it could be a batch or regional issue. And it still has advantages, such as sticking to oil, so its still has its place, but we dont usually push it over Impervo, at least for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.