Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

In need of knowledge for career fair.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  WestKyPainter 
#1 ·
Hey guys my school is doing a career fair which will take place during my class times for all 3 grade levels. They have asked me to do a booth about my painting business. The guidance counselor wants kids to know there is more than just doing the college rout and that teachers have to work more than one job.

What kind of information might you have that I can share with the kids? I did not go to a trade school to learn how to paint but worked with a painter through college and after so it was on site training. If you can share any kind of cost of a apprentice or getting a business license so forth that would be great.

I am going to set it up so that the kids can paint on the wall if they want to try. Teach them how to hold the brush and roll along with taping. I have the schools colors so I can just fix whatever they paint lol.

#2 ·
Aside from the actual painting part, if you want to include stuff from a business owner perspective, and not just as an employee, I would suggest briefly touching upon the fact that basic business courses would be helpful as well as knowing they will need an understanding of the legal requirements (licensing, insurance, bonds, contracts, etc.) for whatever area they would eventually be working in. I know that may sound like putting the cart before the horse, but they should understand there is more to it than just picking up a brush.

#3 ·
I’d make the painting part super fun & then for the informative part do something about learning business n marketing as the most important aspect (outside of trade craft)...seeing that most creatives aren’t very good with the self promotion & business side most kids drawn to such a career could prolly use the heads up that its not all painting ;)

#5 · (Edited)
Hey guys my school is doing a career fair which will take place during my class times for all 3 grade levels. They have asked me to do a booth about my painting business. The guidance counselor wants kids to know there is more than just doing the college rout and that teachers have to work more than one job.

What kind of information might you have that I can share with the kids? I did not go to a trade school to learn how to paint but worked with a painter through college and after so it was on site training. If you can share any kind of cost of a apprentice or getting a business license so forth that would be great.

I am going to set it up so that the kids can paint on the wall if they want to try. Teach them how to hold the brush and roll along with taping. I have the schools colors so I can just fix whatever they paint lol.
The counselor seems more interested in exploiting your extracurricular activities as a means of steering students away from higher education and the teaching profession in particular. It's kind of strange and even a little political.

I would use the event as a Home-Ed opportunity where students can learn how even minor trade knowledge can offer skill sets that can be used to maintain their own eventual homes, as well as giving them some trade tools for employment if necessary. It would also supplement well with a general Home-Ed curriculum that included managing finances as well as cooking.

Either way, they're likely not going to be too interested. Although. Home -Ed helped me in a few ways.

#6 ·
I remember in 9th grade ALL students had to take home economics...and shop. Girls and boys. We were a very progressive school district. Now the district doesn't offer home ec. or shop at all. Anyhow, all the boys complained about having to do "girl" stuff. But we all enjoyed eating the food (usually turned out pretty good). I actually learned quite a bit in that class, and enjoyed it more than I was willing to admit at the time. I can still sew a pretty mean button!:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.