Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
so....how do you know if it's good or bad distressing? How do you judge the quality of your work? If it looks bad, it's good? Or does it depend completely on whether the check clears or not?

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well in this case, I'm matching interweb photos the client chose.

In general, signs of bad distressing are: overdoing it, placement in areas that don't make sense, making the sizes and shapes too similar.

I guess that mostly applies to furniture, cabinetry.

On a sample I have to get enough information on the board to convey the overall effect. It would look a bit different on a large wall, which is why I do a site sample before really going to town.

Today I have to mimic that crazy animal skin wallpaper, draw it up, cut the stencil.

Edit- I'm the biggest critic of my work, it's not right until I say it's right.. My clients pay me nicely to duplicate the approved sample.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
looks like my warehouse wall to be honest with you.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, whaddaya want, mister? Lovely, huh. Wife mad at ya?

Edit- actually, it’s going to end up pretty spiffy. I’m doing the ceiling walls and trim in the Spa Room. Fancy shmancy.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Okay, whaddaya want, mister? Lovely, huh. Wife mad at ya?

Edit- actually, it’s going to end up pretty spiffy. I’m doing the ceiling walls and trim in the Spa Room. Fancy shmancy.

Just trying to make up for a previous post. Actually I’ve done some work that ended up looking like that.

Never on purpose, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In Progress...Distressing S

Thank you, whoever fixed the title.

Well, let’s see which ones they choose.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Which ever one is the ugliest. That's the one they will pick. I guarantee it.

Reactions: fauxlynn

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
He picked the ones I knew he would pick.

Stencilled ceiling, but I have to revise the stencil, silver leaf/distressed walls,painted trim, grey with pearl glaze. Perfect.

I guess when I get going I’ll post a new thread for finishes in progress.

Y’all been warned, so block me if you don’t want to see it. Wink.

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Oh fun!!! Those are the BEST days!!! Honestly, I’d make samples all day everyday if someone would pay me to do it- for some reason its not as fun without someone else’s goal in mind ;)

Reminds me of layered marmorino- Is it a wall or cabinet/furniture application?

If its wall, could you save yourself a step by troweling rather than subtracting?

Excited to see the finished product!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.