Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
so....how do you know if it's good or bad distressing? How do you judge the quality of your work? If it looks bad, it's good? Or does it depend completely on whether the check clears or not?

Hahaha yep ;p. She’s in the creative area so its subjective to the artist & clients tastes. Its difficult to navigate sometimes & takes self-confidence (& thick skin). Most art is made & then sold to whomever likes it enough to pay...in this field they pay & then you create on-site hoping the result is to their liking. In other words, its freaking nerve wracking & can cause you to have a mental breakdown if you over-think things!

BUT...distressing furniture/cabinets correctly (vs walls) takes skill & knowledge of natural wear pattern areas.

Its become HORRIBLY common for ppl on the chalk painting bandwagon to “distress” furniture & cabinets until they look like a strip in progress. Has made the word ‘distressed’ feel dirty to a lot of finishers because that’s what ppl picture when they hear it :0

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Completed room, understandably not for everyones taste. But, for this client in this room, in his profession, in this day and time, it works.

View attachment 102501

I actually love the walls & would totally do something like that in a home office @ our place...I think the ceiling is is what would throw most people off since it takes it to another level. The metallic sheen is beautiful & you did a fabulous job! I bet that ceiling hurt...is there a pattern lay over top?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I actually love the walls & would totally do something like that in a home office @ our place...I think the ceiling is is what would throw most people off since it takes it to another level. The metallic sheen is beautiful & you did a fabulous job! I bet that ceiling hurt...is there a pattern lay over top?
Yes, it was stenciled twice actually. Ouch. Thanks for the kind words.

Ceiling fan Ceiling Mechanical fan Lighting accessory Silver

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.