Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Spray Booth Manager
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I manage a spray booth in a small factory in MO. We paint small flat magnets laid out on paper and good atomization is essential to balance getting a good finish and coverage without putting so much paint on that the parts stick to the paper. Recently some factor changed that we can't put a finger on, and parts are sticking like crazy. When we turn the settings down to compensate, the coat is so light that parts end up sandy or with orange peel finish. I believe that the problem is from inconsistencies in the custom mix from our paint supplier.

We spray water-based paint through a Graco Air-Pro HVLP with a 070 tip. We ask the supplier for 40-45 second viscosity, and have specifications on plasticizer and pigment ratio. Frequently we will recieve batches that are anywhere from 30 to 75 second viscosity. They assure us that it's normal for these fluctuations during shipping. I am suspicious, though, that there are fluctuations in the ingredient ratios that may affect our equipment's ability to atomize as well.

Any wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated regarding water-based paint mixtures / parts sticking to paper / other factors relating to atomization.

Thanks - Fred

·
Registered
33 Posts
Water based paint changing viscosity during shipping? So like if I send a gallon of water to china, does it come out of the jug as viscous as gorilla glue?
Sounds suspect indeed…

And unfortunately I can’t offer any wise advice to you other than maybe try a distributor who won’t lie to you about their willingness/ability to meet your specifications??

·
Registered
Spray Booth Manager
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water based paint changing viscosity during shipping? So like if I send a gallon of water to china, does it come out of the jug as viscous as gorilla glue?
Sounds suspect indeed…

And unfortunately I can’t offer any wise advice to you other than maybe try a distributor who won’t lie to you about their willingness/ability to meet your specifications??
I think it is feasible that the paint shifts viscosity slightly while shipping from temperature and humidity factors. Probably not to the extent supp is claiming though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts