Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
NACE COATINGS INSPECTOR
284 Posts
Are you talking about painting the inside or outside
SSPC-SP 10. Near white metal blast. Just curious about the time involved in abrasive blasting and the type of blast media used to prep one of those for paint. I have often wondered who painted and the time involved in painting one of those. I have a cousin that is a paint inspector also and he was offered a job over seeing paint opperations for a railroad.

·
Registered
15,691 Posts
Very nice work J!

I can see the need to spray the interiors of the rail cars with a material that requires a plural rig, but the exterior shouldn't need anything more then an epoxy base with a polyurethane finish shot out of a conventional or airless rig. Is this correct?

I have a small jib crane I'm scheduling to paint, and I am going to use PPG's Polysiloxane as a finish over Devoe 235. Have you considered using the polysiloxane coatings for a durable non isocyanate UV resistant finish?

Again, great looking finish product! Thanks for posting the pics.

·
A Brush Above
4,680 Posts
I have so many questions for you. What is the dry time before placing stickers on the cars? What kind of tape do you use to tape off the inside? I am glad you shared. I have always wondered about who does this kind of work and how it is done.

How many people work for your company and how many cars do you service in a given year? What other job roles are there in your company? Do you have a dedicated operator for the media blasting?. It is all really interesting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Agreed , you take great pride in what you do , the rail cars look great! You do a lot of confined space work ? I've used that pump , it's a graco King pump. It's a beast of a pump , never dies... I've sprayed mastic through it . Thicker than mud , it sprayed 2 lines at same time .. Haha . You'll do fine in anything you do , painting latex is all easy breezy after what you are doing now bro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Very nice work J!

I can see the need to spray the interiors of the rail cars with a material that requires a plural rig, but the exterior shouldn't need anything more then an epoxy base with a polyurethane finish shot out of a conventional or airless rig. Is this correct?

I have a small jib crane I'm scheduling to paint, and I am going to use PPG's Polysiloxane as a finish over Devoe 235. Have you considered using the polysiloxane coatings for a durable non isocyanate UV resistant finish?

Again, great looking finish product! Thanks for posting the pics.
Yes it's conventional airless. And most exteriors are shot with two part epoxy (like strathmore is our most used exterior paint, and hemple. Ill give more specs tomorrow on the kinds of paint we use and/I have sprayed. We also use water base, mastic, and alkali paints. We do not coat with polyurethane overcoat except one time when i was painting an aluminum Railcar(interior lining) which was scheduled to carry a feed for animals or fertilizer. And the second part of your paragraph no we have not thought of that. I only apply what the customer wants

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have so many questions for you. What is the dry time before placing stickers on the cars? What kind of tape do you use to tape off the inside? I am glad you shared. I have always wondered about who does this kind of work and how it is done.

How many people work for your company and how many cars do you service in a given year? What other job roles are there in your
company? Do you have a dedicated operator for the media blasting?. It is all really interesting.
Usually we paint the car one day and the next day we decal. Sometimes depending on the paint if we shoot in the morning it will be decaled before our 10 hr workshift is over.

To tape the inside of the car we use 3m automotive masking tape. And cheap ass 3m our Sherwin Williams making tape.

Right now we have almost a hundred hourly employees. Our company reservices the car all the way from simply nuts and bolt replacements to totally cutting the car down to frame and rebuilding it up. and full blast and paint inside and out sometimes. So it is hard to give you estimates but we could very well do thousand(s).

Other job roles are inbound/outbound inspection, welders, painters, power washers to wash exteriors, and rinse exteriors.to janitorial, and blasters. Plus "helpers" underneath painters, blasters, and Carman. (Welding, wheelman who strictly work on the trucks, wheels and air pressure.

What do you mean by dedicated media operator?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I take extreme pride in my work.and gives me an extreme sense of accomplishment and well-being to see my finished product. Edpecially since a company can look up who paints their cars and if they don't like the work we do and can be **** canned for it. And also especially since it affects your food quality. My company took me from wrenching nuts and bolts and washing out to throwing me into painting in which I had to mcguyver ways to teach myself how to apply the paint.in which my mil guage taught me how to paint( along with msds sheets etc.) .......so I would like to thank all of you for your constructive criticism and poditive comments! I love what I do but hate management at my job

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Agreed , you take great pride in what you do , the rail cars look great! You do a lot of confined space work ? I've used that pump , it's a graco King pump. It's a beast of a pump , never dies... I've sprayed mastic through it . Thicker than mud , it sprayed 2 lines at same time .. Haha . You'll do fine in anything you do , painting latex is all easy breezy after what you are doing now bro.
No my work is not "classified" as confined space but pretty Damn near. And I've sprayed some latex too. But im more of an epoxy kind of guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
mayb i missed it but r u looking for a different job?? with ur exp in plurals shouldnt b to hard to latch on somewhere. if ur talking overall different type i would say u could easily slide in2 a commercial or industrial spray company. we hav a company i used to work for in my neck of woods that travels the country doing industrial tank linings for wastewater, dairies & ethanol plants & are always looking for peeps who have exp with plurals & epoxy spray.(inbox me if u want ther info) got2 love carboline 2part tho, fricking like concrete when applied properly & ther factory is near wher i live so i used to use them alot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I'm a new guy around here and it sounds like what you are doing is close to what I will be getting into shortly. Right now I paint at a finishing company that does mainly architectural aluminum and steel, but I am doing my own gig that differs from what I do now.

I have about 30 potato bins (the big farm bins when the potatoes are picked) to be sand blasted and painted. All I know is the color, no paint has been specified yet. I do not think it needs to be food grade, as it is only the exterior of the bin. But it does need to hold up in weather and farm fields. Where would be a good place to start?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts