Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I broke an elevator. I think it might have snapped one of the cables Its a 55 year old Inclinator. I climbed up into the attic and saw the cable on the pulley looked unevenly wound and felt frayed, the cable hanging down the shaft was loose, (like maybe it had snapped off something). So I didn't want to start messing around with it and than have it fall and be an even worse nightmare. I got home and put in a call to an elevator service company in my area for that model, and I want to file an insurance claim in case the repair is more than I can afford. So I check my policy and the content of the coverage says that I'm covered and there are no exclusions for "an elevator". But... On the front of the policy under the heading: "SUMMARY OF LIABILITY CLASSIFICATIONS BY LOCATION:
it states: "Painting - Exterior and Interior - Buildings (2 stories or less)". I believe that the "less than 2 stories" answer I gave my insurance agent was for exterior painting as it pertains to risk of going high, and that I would only be painting residential.I wonder if they will deny the claim , even though I was painting inside, because it is technically a 3 story building. Has anyone every had an experience with this type of issue?

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,029 Posts
My experience with insurance companies is that they will look for every way imaginable to avoid paying out on a claim even when all the terms of the policy have been met. And if they haven’t? Well, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I think I, I mean I definitely broke an residential elevator today in a single family three story home. I got a leg cramp and leaned into the gate and it hit the floor and stopped, and locked up. I think it might have snapped one of the cables Its a 55 year old Inclinator. I climbed up into the attic and saw the cable on the pulley looked unevenly wound and felt frayed, the cable hanging down the shaft was loose, (like maybe it had snapped off something). So I didn't want to start messing around with it and than have it fall and be an even worse nightmare. I got home and put in a call to an elevator service company in my area for that model, and I want to file an insurance claim in case the repair is more than I can afford. So I check my policy and the content of the coverage says that I'm covered and there are no exclusions for "an elevator". But... On the front of the policy under the heading: "SUMMARY OF LIABILITY CLASSIFICATIONS BY LOCATION:
it states: "Painting - Exterior and Interior - Buildings (2 stories of less)". I believe that the "less than 2 stories" answer I gave my insurance agent was for exterior painting as it pertains to risk of going high, and that I would only be painting residential.I wonder if they will deny the claim , even though I was painting inside, because it is technically a 3 story building. Has anyone every had an experience with this type of issue?
“2 1/2 stories” is a safety clause (classification) in regards to height for exterior residential painting.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I won't be able to help w insurance questions. But I am wondering why you think this is all on you. Your description of exactly what you did was vague, but a 55 yr old piece of equipment broke while you were in it and that makes it your fault? It's sort of like borrowing someone's '72 dodge dart and thinking its your fault if it breaks down.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I won't be able to help w insurance questions. But I am wondering why you think this is all on you. Your description of exactly what you did was vague, but a 55 yr old piece of equipment broke while you were in it and that makes it your fault? It's sort of like borrowing someone's '72 dodge dart and thinking its your fault if it breaks down.
agreed.
Its an old elevator. Why is a passenger able to accidentally cause this to happen?
Sounds like a faulty design, or a pre-existing condition.

·
Registered
612 Posts
A question I have is, wouldn't the owners of the residential elevator need their own insurance or some sort of upgrade to their policy on their homeowners' insurance specifically for this reason? It's ultimately a dangerous device that accidents can happen on, after all. Same way pools need a bigger insurance policy and fences, etc, around them, too. Depending on state laws, too, it might be that the home elevator needs inspections every few years, and if that wasn't done properly that's another bad mark on them.

It's definitely an interesting piece of equipment for sure, though.

But I do agree with others that unless you directly were poking at it mechanically in some manner and then it failed, there's nothing on you for its failure, and in the customer's case there's even the argument to be made that their poor maintenance or age of the elevator put you in danger as a worker and they could even be liable for your accident.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,915 Posts
A question I have is, wouldn't the owners of the residential elevator need their own insurance or some sort of upgrade to their policy on their homeowners' insurance specifically for this reason? It's ultimately a dangerous device that accidents can happen on, after all. Same way pools need a bigger insurance policy and fences, etc, around them, too. Depending on state laws, too, it might be that the home elevator needs inspections every few years, and if that wasn't done properly that's another bad mark on them.

But I do agree with others that unless you directly were poking at it mechanically in some manner and then it failed, there's nothing on you for its failure, and in the customer's case there's even the argument to be made that their poor maintenance or age of the elevator put you in danger as a worker and they could even be liable for your accident.
That was the most boring yet fascinating video I've ever seen. 😅

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts

on a side note, a nice example of vintage faux wood graining.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update; looks like it was a combination of a not properly maintained elevator/safety device. The elevator should have stopped immediately if the gate was leaned against and also looks like the knuckle and or cable broke which should not have happened. The owners are calling a repair company out to fix it so far no talk of me being responsible except that they seem disgusted with the fact that I used it at all. I will update when I get new info, thanks for all your responses.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,915 Posts
update; looks like it was a combination of a not properly maintained elevator/safety device. The elevator should have stopped immediately if the gate was leaned against and also looks like the knuckle and or cable broke which should not have happened. The owners are calling a repair company out to fix it so far no talk of me being responsible except that they seem disgusted with the fact that I used it at all. I will update when I get new info, thanks for all your responses.
I was sort of wondering about that. If I was not given permission to use that elevator, I certainly would have just been using the stairs..That goes for taking the Ferrari for a spin at lunch break..

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,613 Posts
yes very bad on my part
True enough! Lesson learned BUT they have an elevator and as such would need to keep it in good and safe condition. There was no sign on it saying "Do Not Use", you were not instructed to avoid its use, the power was obviously on and it gave the appearance of being a functional unit. It seems to me, if any one has liability there, it is the home owner. After all, if I don't keep my stairs and steps in good repair and some one gets injured using them, I am the guilty party.

(However, I would not expect any repeat business from them.)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Situations like this are exactly why it's a good idea to obtain business insurance thru a local & established agent...the more local and more established the better. Might cost a bit more than discount online carriers, but IMO the added expense is actually a real bargain. They are much more likely to process any claims quickly and without hassle. I never had any problems with the few claims I had, although none were major....~$10,000 tops, the other two being ~$4,000-$5,000. And a few other incidents that were less that I simply paid out of pocket. That's over almost 40 years. It sounds like this incident will work out as it should for you in the end...things don't always end so tidy. Anybody doing ANY type of commercial work should keep in mind having commercial listed on your coverage is another "good idea". It would be downright unpleasant to be painting the front door of the local barbershop and have a step ladder with a gallon of paint perched atop fall onto that Bugatti parked curbside and find out you were not covered
....another bargain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts