Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insurance work

Don't! Seriously,in my experience it used to be a good gig but not worth the headaches. At one time I could do as much as I wanted to take on and I got to where I wouldn't touch it. All my other work was referral and they were happy and comfortable to see me come in the door. With insurance work, they didn't know me and sometimes insurance would only pay for repair and HO thought it should be replaced etc... They felt there were deep pockets and they were worried about getting screwed... just not a great work invironment in my opinion.

·
Registered
310 Posts
my guess would be talk to insurance companies cause thats who the HO calls when sumthing is damaged. Usually the ins agent will call the resto company right off the bat because they GC the jobs and will come out immediately to minimize damages. Maybe if u convince a couple agents you can do the same work just as fast they'll call u. Offer them a commission.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I know a owner of a restoration business, his wife is a agent.

TBH the paint aspect is to small, the insurance companies hire GCs who can handle everything. So if you want that work look for restoration contractors and expect small jobs with a occasional nugget job. However you don't have to deal with the ins. paper work.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I know a owner of a restoration business, his wife is a agent.

TBH the paint aspect is to small, the insurance companies hire GCs who can handle everything. So if you want that work look for restoration contractors and expect small jobs with a occasional nugget job. However you don't have to deal with the ins. paper work.
I used to do some ins work but the last two I did the HO tried to screw the ins co - thru me. I'm too old a dawg to be :censored: by a pup. I do the occasional ins job now but it's thru the restoration cos, around here most ins cos go to the restoration outfits and pay them BIG $$$.

·
Outhouse Painter
700 Posts
I don't think they are worth doing either. Most of my "insurance estimates" wind up being the HO skimming the insurance co. They will take my bid to get the check, then give the work to some lowballer and pocket the difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to do some ins work but the last two I did the HO tried to screw the ins co - thru me. I'm too old a dawg to be :censored: by a pup. I do the occasional ins job now but it's thru the restoration cos, around here most ins cos go to the restoration outfits and pay them BIG $$$.
I had a friend that i was painting for years ago who tried to pull that crap thru me...i never worked for him again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I actually have had several conversations with my insurance agent while im there paying.

I first asked what they thought of the resto co's and she laughed and made a face. I then told her im in the remodelling business and I could take some of the jobs and give her a small kickback. She was all about it, but I never went back to talk details. Everytime I went back, her kid or father were there and I felt kinda weird about it.

Anyway the jobs are def worth it. My mother had water damage on her ceiling in about 5 spots...nothing major just some brown water spots, little cracking. Anyway, the ins adjustor came by and threw out a number of 5 grand to have it fixed. The resto guys tried to get their hands on it but I stepped in and did the work for half and let her pocket the rest.

I prolly put 10 hours work into it.....cut out and replaced the worst spots, and coverstained the rest. Paid my neighbor 100 bux to fix a small spot around the chimney.

If you could get a steady stream of jobs like that you would be a very wealthy person. I dont care about any hassles when I can make 5 grand in a couple days.

·
Registered
200 Posts
just stay away from the claimspages people. they promise the world for $900 american dollars....and i swear it goes to KIm Jong IL or Un or twatever;i tcertainly doesn't provide you with any leads despite their pie in the sky claims....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts