Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
I happen to have painted several dropped ceilings along with replacing lab and office grade ceiling tiles. There really isn't anything special about painting a dropped ceiling compared to spraying any other ceiling where you have to mask off lighting and HVAC registers.

-If you want to be really detailed, you'll slightly lift up the tiles on small supports to make certain you cover all the edges. This can take more time then it's worth. Therefore, spraying a coat as the tiles naturally sit is more practical.

-You should also consult with the ceiling tile manufacturer prior to painting ,if possible, in order to make certain you are not compromising any of the intended properties or performance of a particular tile composition. For example, acoustics, fireproofing, hygiene, and insulation. Armstrong is a popular manufacturer of ceiling tiles, and has a wealth of information about their products.

-If the factory finished T'Bars can't be practically cleaned, they should be either primed or finished with an enamel coating. This could prove to be difficult if you want to spray an entire ceiling with flat paint.

-Here's a tip for you CeilPro. Use 2' X 2" spray booth filters designed for epoxy over the return air vents to keep over spray from clogging up the HVAC unit's air filters.

I happen to have painted several dropped ceilings along with replacing lab and office grade ceiling tiles. There really isn't anything special about painting a dropped ceiling compared to spraying any other ceiling where you have to mask off lighting and HVAC registers.

If you want to be really detailed, you'll slightly lift up the tiles on small supports to make certain you cover all the edges. This can take more time then it's worth. Therefore, spraying a coat as the tiles naturally sit is more practical.

You should also consult with the ceiling tile manufacturer prior to painting ,if possible, in order to make certain you are not compromising any of the intended properties or performance of particular tile composition. For example, acoustics, fireproofing, hygiene, and insulation. Armstrong is a popular manufacturer of ceiling tiles, and has a wealth of information about their products.

If the factory finished T'Bars can't be practically cleaned, they should be either primed or finished with an enamel coating. This could prove to be difficult if you want to spray an entire ceiling with flat paint.

Here's a tip for you CeilPro. Use 2' X 2" spray booth filters designed for epoxy over the return air vents to keep over spray from clogging up the HVAC unit's air filters.
You just blew through the 1st hundred pages in this one post..:notworthy:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I have plenty of hobbies, thanks, and plenty of time to enjoy them thanks to a very lucrative line of work I practiced during my career. My postings here are simply intended to share my experience with others through my web site, to help them enhance their businesses (no, I don't charge an arm and a leg for my services...). I've done numerous training sessions, and every customer I've had has continued to thank me for turning them on to an add-on service that's made them a whole boatload of money.

I'm amazed at the negativity pouring in here; perhaps it reflects a certain closedmindedness? Not sure, but at any rate, I guess if someone is that offended at my post, there are plenty of others to read. I don't see what purpose slinging mud serves; I haven't insulted anyone here, so why go negative?

I don't care if anyone on this site actually hires me for my training regimen, but at least open your minds to new add-ons that can expand your offerings to your customers. If you already have existing commercial accounts, why not offer them something else? You've already got your foot in the door; existing customers are the easiest and best ones to sell to.

I have plenty of hobbies, thanks, and plenty of time to enjoy them thanks to a very lucrative line of work I practiced during my career. My postings here are simply intended to share my experience with others through my web site, to help them enhance their businesses (no, I don't charge an arm and a leg for my services...). I've done numerous training sessions, and every customer I've had has continued to thank me for turning them on to an add-on service that's made them a whole boatload of money.

I'm amazed at the negativity pouring in here; perhaps it reflects a certain closedmindedness? Not sure, but at any rate, I guess if someone is that offended at my post, there are plenty of others to read. I don't see what purpose slinging mud serves; I haven't insulted anyone here, so why go negative?

I don't care if anyone on this site actually hires me for my training regimen, but at least open your minds to new add-ons that can expand your offerings to your customers. If you already have existing commercial accounts, why not offer them something else? You've already got your foot in the door; existing customers are the easiest and best ones to sell to.
Huh,, we are industry leaders here. We have blogs, websites and for some a great post to thanks ratio. How can you possibly think we need a 200 page manual to paint ceilings!

Imagine a painter sitting in his truck in front of Walmart, reading a manual on how to blow a lid out..:lol:

Sorry bro but this is seriously to much. I feel sorry for the schmuck that is buying your product. Do they at least become a certified acoustic ceiling painter? Would love to see a GC face when you flash em that.

Discussion starter · #29 · (Edited)
Huh,, we are industry leaders here. We have blogs, websites and for some a great post to thanks ratio. How can you possibly think we need a 200 page manual to paint ceilings!

Imagine a painter sitting in his truck in front of Walmart, reading a manual on how to blow a lid out..:lol:

Sorry bro but this is seriously to much. I feel sorry for the schmuck that is buying your product. Do they at least become a certified acoustic ceiling painter? Would love to see a GC face when you flash em that.

You don't know the first thing about this line of work, that much is obvious. Go out and try refinishing 10,000 s/f of acoustical ceilings in an occupied area in one overnight with just 5 guys, then you can tell me how extensive your knowledge in this field is. Oh, and do it WITHOUT any callbacks, not a streak on the ceiling, no fallout on the customer's merchandise, and with the store ready to open for business. Then I'll be impressed. Until then, be humble enough to admit that sometimes there's more to a specialty than a simpleminded pinhead like you might think.

If it were so easy, why did so many people get in and then out of the business during the years I practiced this? We grew and grew, and refinished ONLY drop ceilings for hundreds of the largest companies in the northeast. I don't suppose you've even taken a peek at my website to satisfy your vast intellectual curiosity, have you? Don't worry, you won't benefit me in the least by viewing it, but you may have second thoughts about what you've written.

And one last thing - you mentioned the 'schmucks' who buy my 'product'...for the record, I don't even sell a product. I offer a training regimen for commercial painting company owners and their employees. It takes 3-4 days to complete, and I can guarantee you that you don't know 95% of the stuff I teach.

I remember doing drop ceilings in a chain of Hardee's restaurants with my dad when I was a kid. He would mix half ext satin, half Zinsser 123, and about a pint of white pigment.

When I was rolling in on the ceilings, I could see the grease mixing in with the paint. They were nasty, but cleaning wasn't part of the process.
Somehow it worked. They dried solid white and never peeled.

We did a lot of them. Went in at night and finished before breakfast. Good $$, an usually free breakfast.

One night I spaced out and dropped my work pot on the floor. Luckily, it was so greasy it came right up...... What were we talking about again? ... Oh yea, ceilings.

You don't know the first thing about this line of work, that much is obvious. Go out and try refinishing 10,000 s/f of acoustical ceilings in an occupied area in one overnight with just 5 guys, then you can tell me how extensive your knowledge in this field is. Oh, and do it WITHOUT any callbacks, not a streak on the ceiling, no fallout on the customer's merchandise, and with the store ready to open for business. Then I'll be impressed. Until then, be humble enough to admit that sometimes there's more to a specialty than a simpleminded pinhead like you might think.

If it were so easy, why did so many people get in and then out of the business during the years I practiced this? We grew and grew, and refinished ONLY drop ceilings for hundreds of the largest companies in the northeast. I don't suppose you've even taken a peek at my website to satisfy your vast intellectual curiosity, have you? Don't worry, you won't benefit me in the least by viewing it, but you may have second thoughts about what you've written.

And one last thing - you mentioned the 'schmucks' who buy my 'product'...for the record, I don't even sell a product. I offer a training regimen for commercial painting company owners and their employees. It takes 3-4 days to complete, and I can guarantee you that you don't know 95% of the stuff I teach.
Ya I suppose your right, a 10k sqft ceiling I wouldn't have a clue on what to do with. My expertise is only limited to 5k.

Ceiling Painter: Hey, you need those ceilings painted?
GC: Yes we do, as well as the rest of the building
CP: Ok, well we only paint ceilings, so you need another painter to paint the walls, trim, and doors.
GC: Why wouldn't I just find a painter who can paint everything for me? I do not like dealing with one painter, let alone two.
CP: Trust me, we are awesome at painting ceilings...
GC: Alright you twisted my arm. Do you know any good wall painters?
CP: Yea, and I know another company who only paints doors too!

That's how I suppose a typical conversation may go...

CApainter said:

-If you want to be really detailed, you'll slightly lift up the tiles on small supports to make certain you cover all the edges. This can take more time then it's worth. Therefore, spraying a coat as the tiles naturally sit is more practical.

-You should also consult with the ceiling tile manufacturer prior to painting ,if possible, in order to make certain you are not compromising any of the intended properties or performance of a particular tile composition. For example, acoustics, fireproofing, hygiene, and insulation. Armstrong is a popular manufacturer of ceiling tiles, and has a wealth of information about their products.

-If the factory finished T'Bars can't be practically cleaned, they should be either primed or finished with an enamel coating. This could prove to be difficult if you want to spray an entire ceiling with flat paint.

-Here's a tip for you CeilPro. Use 2' X 2" spray booth filters designed for epoxy over the return air vents to keep over spray from clogging up the HVAC unit's air filters.
big ceilings we always go with dryfall. it's cheap. It grabs. It kills most stains.
I never even ask about diverter vents and what nots. I paint em right in. looks better. it's easier, faster. everybody wins.
cover the lights with plastic not paper so you can see and all
cover sprinkler heads with Tim foil cause it's easy to put on and take off
smoke alarms make sure they're covered and air tight.
.515 or .517 and a pole
Plenty of rolls of 20 ft plastic in occupied

eh the guy started a thread really. I',m freedom of info here and I painted some drops in occupied space myself. commercial never goes over too big on this site anyway much less trying to sign em up for a class.

OP. post on the dog pictures thread or weigh in on the 'I want my employees to pee in a cup for me' thread. I mean if you want to. Hang out. It's a good time killer the PT is.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Ceiling Painter: Hey, you need those ceilings painted?
GC: Yes we do, as well as the rest of the building
CP: Ok, well we only paint ceilings, so you need another painter to paint the walls, trim, and doors.
GC: Why wouldn't I just find a painter who can paint everything for me? I do not like dealing with one painter, let alone two.
CP: Trust me, we are awesome at painting ceilings...
GC: Alright you twisted my arm. Do you know any good wall painters?
CP: Yea, and I know another company who only paints doors too!

That's how I suppose a typical conversation may go...
Funny stuff, you should write for Conan. However, you've got it all wrong. As a matter of fact, we were spec'd on countless jobs over the years, specifically because so many painters BUTCHERED ceilings when the GC tried to hire one guy to do it all. Typically, they thought it was like spraying walls or open deck, only to find out they really didn't have a clue how to do it right. Haven't you ever seen one painter do all the walls, etc. and another company come in to do the electrostatic? Yeah, it's kind of like that...

You simply can't get really good (and efficient) doing something a few times a year. You get good at it by doing it over and over again. Odds are that your "good" and mine are two different things. If your content to reinvent the wheel on the fly, have it your way. That's exactly what my training is designed to prevent.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.