Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor

Monarchski

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
A local TikTok star, famous for paint-mixing videos, was fired this past summer from his part-time job at the Athens Sherwin-Williams store after the company discovered he created content while on the clock using company machinery.
Tony Piloseno, an Ohio University senior studying marketing in The College of Business who goes by tonesterpaints, amassed more than 1.3 million followers on the social media platform popular among Gen Z for its bite-sized videos by experimenting with paint mixtures that yield gorgeous colors and rich textures.
He began creating the videos about a year ago while working at the East State Street Sherwin-Williams location, where one of his job duties was to mix paint colors for customers to help find the exact shade they were in search of. Piloseno grew inspired by other companies that he saw mixing paint in their own TikTok videos, and he began employing techniques that he learned on the job into his own creations.

鈥淚 tried it out and my videos took off almost immediately,鈥 he said in an interview.
Piloseno鈥檚 success revealed what he saw as an opportunity to help Sherwin-Williams, the Cleveland-based paint giant, market its products to the younger audiences found on TikTok. With the guidance of some OU business professors he created a presentation that he shared with a store manager and sales representative who were both supportive and helped him contact the company鈥檚 corporate marketing department.
After months of silence, corporate responded to his inquires saying they weren鈥檛 interested in expanding marketing efforts amid the pandemic, he said. Following the rejection, Piloseno began filming videos that become increasingly unorthodox.
One featured him squashing blueberries and mixing them into white paint in an attempt to create a natural blue. In another more recent clip he poured red fruit juice into a canister of paint to create a satisfying textured swirl.
Months later Piloseno said he received a call from the company鈥檚 loss prevention department that said a customer complained about the viral blueberry video and the company representative terminated him on the spot.

鈥淚 mean honestly, I didn鈥檛 think they were going to fire me,鈥 Piloseno said. 鈥淟ike I said, I really loved working for Sherwin-Williams. I loved the process of paint 鈥 everything about paint basically. I loved all my co-workers at the Athens store. I loved all the customers. The Athens community is very, very good.鈥
He also said he was disappointed that he did not have the opportunity to talk with the district manager about the matter before he was let go.
Sherwin-Williams did not respond to The NEWS鈥 request for comment. Though, the company confirmed to BuzzFeed News that the customer complaint about the blueberry video is what ultimately led to Piloseno鈥檚 termination.
Piloseno provided to The NEWS his official termination document, signed by District Manager Shaun Buranakitipinyo, noting the company ruled he was in violation of several 鈥済ross misconduct policies,鈥 including actions that 鈥渟eriously embarrasses the Company or its products,鈥 among several other infractions.
His friends have since allowed him to film videos in the basement of their off-campus house. Just days ago, Piloseno went public about his termination in a TikTok video that went viral, garnering more than 6 million likes.
鈥淚 was pretty bummed out at first, but with the support of my friends and family I continued to do what I love 鈥 It鈥檚 been a struggle, but I鈥檝e been continuing to develop my own brand and make content for people,鈥 he said in the video.
Piloseno started a gofundme Wednesday to help raise money for new paint products since he鈥檚 not part of TikTok鈥檚 program that pays creators based on the view count of each video they post. The OU student also began donating paint that is no longer vibrant to Habitat for Humanity. He featured the West Union Street ReStore location in a recent video.

Registered
If you've ever worked for a large multinational corporation you can probably instantly recognize this as one of the dumbest ways to get fired. What he was doing is basically theft.

Registered
If you've ever worked for a large multinational corporation you can probably instantly recognize this as one of the dumbest ways to get fired. What he was doing is basically theft.
Yeah, that. Maybe. It was cheap PR. And it doesn't say he didn't pay for the paint, or that he did it on company time. And there are other question marks. The rejected proposal to corporate marketing. But the weirdest is that a customer watching a video reported it to the loss department? That's just weird. And then a unilateral firing without any conversation or discussion? I suspect this is patchy reporting. In the end, sure. I'd imagine it was basically theft and goofing off on company time. But a) I can't tell and b) in this day and age there would be more than just a "you're fired" message from on high.

Registered
Yeah, that. Maybe. It was cheap PR. And it doesn't say he didn't pay for the paint, or that he did it on company time. And there are other question marks. The rejected proposal to corporate marketing. But the weirdest is that a customer watching a video reported it to the loss department? That's just weird. And then a unilateral firing without any conversation or discussion? I suspect this is patchy reporting. In the end, sure. I'd imagine it was basically theft and goofing off on company time. But a) I can't tell and b) in this day and age there would be more than just a "you're fired" message from on high.
employee's wouldn't be fired over the phone via 'loss prevention' an HR rep would be there to let him go. I doubt it was a 'customer' probably some big wig shareholders kid shared the video with them and went up the chain.

I had a family member who got fired from Pepsi over a PHOTO posted on facebook with a coca-cola branded T shirt. Corporations are all about 'brand management', its not at all shocking if you've ever worked in a corporate environment.

Registered
employee's wouldn't be fired over the phone via 'loss prevention' an HR rep would be there to let him go. I doubt it was a 'customer' probably some big wig shareholders kid shared the video with them and went up the chain.

I had a family member who got fired from Pepsi over a PHOTO posted on facebook with a coca-cola branded T shirt. Corporations are all about 'brand management', its not at all shocking if you've ever worked in a corporate environment.
Yeah, I get that and absolutely right about the brand. But as for the call from on high, that's what the story said. A customer complaint and fired from on high by phone. "he received a call from the company鈥檚 loss prevention department that said a customer complained about the viral blueberry video and the company representative terminated him on the spot. "

But as I also said, the reporting here is spotty. A lot of ambiguity.

Super Moderator
Not sure I'd believe anything from a newspaper as spammy as that one anyhow..I believe nothing that I Hear, and only Half of what I see.

Premium Member
Tonester Paints 鈥淗ow I got fired鈥 Go Fund Me Page

Support Tonester Paints on Tiktok, organized by Tony Piloseno

Although I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e ever used crushed blueberries, which apparently was the video that viewers called Sherwin Williams over & resulted in his firing, the two most unconventional raw ingredients I鈥檝e probably used were Carmine extracted from crushed Cochineal bugs and urushiol which is the oil in poison ivy causing one to itch & is used to make Urushi lacquer.

Registered
Yeah, I get that and absolutely right about the brand. But as for the call from on high, that's what the story said. A customer complaint and fired from on high by phone. "he received a call from the company鈥檚 loss prevention department that said a customer complained about the viral blueberry video and the company representative terminated him on the spot. "

But as I also said, the reporting here is spotty. A lot of ambiguity.
Yes and the person telling it has a financial incentive to embellish his story, a low level employee isn't going to get a call from anyone. He was profiting off videos made on company time with company equipment with SW logos clearly visible. Pretty obvious what would happen, heck he might have even been let go if he was at home making them simply for having SW logos present in the video.

Super Moderator
I've seen his tiktoc videos it didn't look like he was making them at a sw store he also has one showing him donating his left over paint to habitat for humanity. My guess is he was buying mistints and using them for his videos. For anyone who hasn't seen his vids, they're basically just him taking a gallon of paint pouring some colors in it and stirring it with a paint stick. Sometimes he adds glitter or one he poured juice in it but basically all the same stuff.

Idk exactly why he got fired but the sw labels were clearly visible in all his vids.

Registered
I've seen his tiktoc videos it didn't look like he was making them at a sw store he also has one showing him donating his left over paint to habitat for humanity. My guess is he was buying mistints and using them for his videos. For anyone who hasn't seen his vids, they're basically just him taking a gallon of paint pouring some colors in it and stirring it with a paint stick. Sometimes he adds glitter or one he poured juice in it but basically all the same stuff.

Idk exactly why he got fired but the sw labels were clearly visible in all his vids.
At least one video i saw he puts it into a vortex shaker, another he tints on the machine, not going to link them here..

This type of stuff would get you fired from any retail type job

Premium Member
At least one video i saw he puts it into a vortex shaker, another he tints on the machine, not going to link them here..

I鈥檓 often required to sign confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements and would be in a heap of trouble even posting so much as a photo of a client鈥檚 worksite on a forum such as PT or even discussing any aspect of my work. Even without a written agreement, privacy laws don鈥檛 permit me to publish photos or videos of my work taken outside the public domain for commercial purposes without written consent. Even with written consent, items such as copy written materials in the photography or videos such as art can鈥檛 be published without written consent from the copyright holder.

I鈥檝e got tens of hours of video footage professionally filmed on job sites which I couldn鈥檛 publish on a YouTube channel without a signed release from the property owner or without a licensing agreement with the videographer.

I suppose the same applies more or less in the instance of the paint mixing dude working at Sherwin Williams.

Super Moderator
There's a lot of good available info on the net, but I find it funny, the urge for humans to post on utube. I've taken lots of videos, but have never had the urge to publicly post on utube. Theres so much stupid crap on there. But also lots of great stuff.

Super Moderator

Well that'll do it then, I didn't see those. I only saw vids of him adding color by hand and mixing with a paint stick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts