Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have job with a unique set of challanges.
What I am contracted to paint a couple of Wedge Barriers. (Picture a 36" high x 10' wide piece of 1/4" steel plate that lays flat on the concrete drive. Once put into the up position it's at about a 45 degree angle to stop vehicles from passing). There are two Wedge Barriers to be painted. One at each entrance to the property. We can only shut down one entrance at a time to paint. We also will keep traffic off the newly painted Barrier until the following week when we return to start the second Wege Barrier.
The barriers are to be painted with 10" red (i hate red) and white stripes alternating across. I was planning on using white as the base finish coat and then come back and stripe the red.
The problem(s)
1) We can only work on Saturdays and Sundays.
2) Rusted horizontal metal that gets truck traffic.
3) 3 hours from home.
4) Red stripes (assuming mutiple coats) (did i mention that i hate red)
5) Epoxys cure time, recoating windows etc.
My local paint reps all have (mostly) good products/ideas for the demanding nature of this job. (solvent based epoxy primer and top coat). Which is great, but... The problem comes with the red striping. I can prep. and prime on the first day. Apply the finish coat day 2. That puts me at day 3 for stripeing. Which means another weekend of painting. And, another week of waiting to use the drive. There has got to be a product out there that allows me to get two coats in in a day.
What do you think about using a red primer, red topcoat and then striping the white on top of the red. Do you think it will cover better than the red over white? I have had a fair amount of experience with epoxys, catalized urethanes, etc.. But it's been 25 years since regular use. I could use some current practical advice.
BTW, brush & rolling.
Thanks in Advance
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would Use PPG Amerlock 2 with Amershield as the Topcoat. Make sure and use the 866M Accelerator. Also use the Safety Red Amershield, It uses a Non-Clear Base so that it covers better than ppg tinting a clear base to a red color. With the Accelerator, if the Temps and Humidity cooperate, you should be fine to get it done.

Day 1: Pressure Wash / Grind / Amerlock 2 white / Amershield White (Long Day but doable)

Day 2: Mask and Multiple coats of Amershield Red.

Read the PDS for Amerlock 2 &
Amershield. Amerlock 2 is also surface tolerant, so you don't have to completely strip the rust from the metal. It also will stick to most anything. Just make sure the previous coating isn't Waterbased or the amerlock drying might lift it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
getrex,
That's exactly what I asked my son! Why?
Long story short, friend of his asked him as a favor. I should say, bribed him. It's good money.
I told my son that I'd help. I'll give him one day. Get him on track to do it right and then he can go finish it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kentdalimp,
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Weather will be a big factor in dry times, multiple coats per day etc..
Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it were me I would look at paint both wedges with White Amerlock/Amershield the first weekend. Then Let them open them during the week. Then Returning to do the red striping the second week. If you paint Friday Saturday (Or even Sat/Sunday) and give it 24 hours, I wouldn't worry about people driving over it starting Monday.

that way you have plenty of time to get the red done.

Might even consider: Prime everything with Amerlock 2 Gray, and doing one set of stripes (White or Red) the first week, then coming back and painting the second set of stripes the 2 week.

The Amerlock 2 will be fine for a week. (It would be fine indefinitely but it doesn't hold color or gloss in UV like Amershield does.) that might be the easier of the 2 ways of doing things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What about painting them white, and then using some sort of vinyl to make the red stripes? Like what they use to make the white strips on road ways for where cars are supposed to stop at an intersection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts