Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,448 Posts
would be interested to know what kinda money the interior-only folks are making.....
I made great money in Toronto. High end condos were my main stay and I lived next to High Park in a really nice century house with 3 floors and a large back yard IN THE CITY! You can make like a bandit If you work the right neighborhoods! Like anything real-estate related , only 3 things mater: "Location, Location Location!"

·
Registered
230 Posts
$43-48/per hour?

Low end ballpark prolly for starters, depending where, what, who, why, etc.

I have an painter uncle who has -30 employees. 10 yrs back he was charging $100/hr just to show up make samples shmooze w customers etc. No idea if he’s changed his rates since.
Others I know are $60min to $100per hr. So $40-50 is on the lower end.

As of now my interior and exterior rates are the same:
Labor rate
Materials
Materials mark up
Profit
Tool usage fees (sprayer, scaffold, etc)
Other direct and indirect costs.

After this year we may just increase the exterior only charges to compensate for the more rigorous type of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1 Posts
When I lived in London, I had access to the roof on the second floor. It was all cluttered up there, so I decided to make a little terrace for growing flowers. To make it pleasant and aesthetically pleasing. I thought I could do it with my own hands, but no! Believe me, it isn't very easy. I had to go to a Remodeling Contractor to bring something back to normal after my efforts. I don't know how other designers work, but this is perfect - what I was offered in the finished version I couldn't even think of.

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,448 Posts
would be interested to know what kinda money the interior-only folks are making.....
In the 90's I was clearing $2500 a week working solo. With faux finishes & specialty work. it was more. I have no idea how much the competition was getting. What I made was good enough for me and that's all I cared about.

Reactions: Ravak

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am interior. I do a lot of high end residences and they kindly refer me to their family and friends. ( I will also help the older patrons who sometimes need someone to help them with a fix, a water disaster or a repair that some people just can't find the time for. I have been paid a few dollars and a bouquet of roses from their garden. The smile and conversation and life lessons I learn from them on those days is priceless.)

I work word of mouth only, and I could work 7 days a week. Some jobs I do. But I like my week-ends like most folk. It just depends on what I'm doing.

I also do a lot of work on rooms that are gutted and redone so basically new construction rebuilds ...bathrooms, kitchens and summer homes and add-ons. I have been called upon by a few designers when their clients are wanting some specialty work done (such as faux marble or stone finishes, furniture, brickwork, ect...). I am a clean and trustworthy painter ( I have no crew but have people I can call on if I need them and I pay them nicely for those favors. I always let my client's know if I am bringing in a helper for anything and why I need them there and what they will be doing. I respect my client's homes as if it were my own and I always do as I say I am going to do... plus, I always go the extra mile.

I am not afraid to ask the prices I do, and they are always comfortable in paying them. Normally, I only give an estimate of what I think the jobs may run and let them know upfront if there may be a change in that estimate and offer options. For the most part, they want the best and cost is not usually a concern. They are getting more than just a 'painter'...they are getting someone loyal, who cares about their property and will help them achieve the goals they are after. If their requests are more than I feel I can comfortably do, I am not afraid to say so...and I refer them to others in the business I trust, who can meet their needs required. My clients are always thrilled and happy, which makes me thrilled and happy. I am not paid like large paint corporations with many crews, but I make a fine salary.

And I feel great about what I do.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I don't really see why it would not be profitable. Interior designers are asked now more than ever. And they need constant help. I remember how much I had paid for my apartment redesign. The guys worked fast, but they didn't cooperate to make the furniture and designs real. I had to hire painters and buy my furniture myself. I had spent weeks looking for a fantastic bedhead till I had found one at Bedheads – Abide Interiors. You could make a designing company your partner.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts