Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a new member although I've gain some knowledge from lurking as of late.

I consider myself a semi-pro painter, as I have worn many hats over the years. I'll spare you the details but surfice it to say. That my endeavors have included loads of material variations and pretty much all application technics. Not always with great results, but I never give up.

Ok question time:

I have just completed my first cabinet refinishing project. I use Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua primer & Kem Aqua blending white top coat (loss gloss).

Huge learning curve......And I have sprayed awlgip on boats so I know a thing or two about thin coatings.......

**** ran all over the place and since it was my first time I just sanded out the runs and sags and recoated.....3 prime coats and 7 top coats.
I should add here before you all think I'm crazy. That the primer tended to yellow right after spraying so I was also trying to bury the bleed through.

Now I'm doing My own house and don't want to revist that insanity. So this time I ordered Kem Aqua Plus Surfacer and Kem Aqua plus top coat in blending white (low gloss). But I read that some of you use Bin as a bind coat......is this recommended? There is conflicting thoughts on this. I have been using this product for years as a stain kill.....both spot and complete coat????
someone suggested that it way only ment to be used outdoors and only on spots?? I'm very confused now.

So please help......

BTW... the last set of cabinets did come out quite nice, just took to long and waaaay too much work.

I'll be using my titon 640ix w/311 tip pressure set @ 1500

Thanks in advance

Tony G.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sup. I think most painters here use coverstain or BIN to stop yellowing, knots, and stains. For inside work they both it can be used as a primer for just about everything. For outside work coverstain is used for most everything but BIN is only used sparingly to seal up just knots and stains. If it were using with your set up I would use BIN then top coat with PPG breakthrough. Breakthrough dries super fast and is sprays like glass.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bin is great for cabinets but sucks to work with i typically use coverstain especially for oak as it has a little more build. I recently used the bin synthetic for a cabinet job it performed really well it does not sand as well but it has greater build and dries fairly smooth anyway.

·
Registered
156 Posts
just get the bin in a can. if u dont want to gunk a sleve/brush etc.
dont sand your bin. use coverstain over the top. quick tip, pull the tip off the spray can, throw it away. its insane, you can get your mate in the face with it about 6 feet away...
it isnt really the misty pattern your looking for, so find one off another can and steal it...
ive actually found a high pigment undercoat waterbased that will cover and block stains. didn't believe it till I seen it. but it bites hard and no bleed. Im stressing cause my next job is that and im going to be doing just that this time without bin or coverstain.. wish me luck .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, I think I will roll and brush my Bin on. Then spray my Kem Aqua plus products. Would like to try the PPG Breakthrough but I have already purchased the Sherwin Williams stuff.

Tony G.

·
Administrator
19,583 Posts
just get the bin in a can. if u dont want to gunk a sleve/brush etc.
dont sand your bin. use coverstain over the top. quick tip, pull the tip off the spray can, throw it away. its insane, you can get your mate in the face with it about 6 feet away...
it isnt really the misty pattern your looking for, so find one off another can and steal it...
ive actually found a high pigment undercoat waterbased that will cover and block stains. didn't believe it till I seen it. but it bites hard and no bleed. Im stressing cause my next job is that and im going to be doing just that this time without bin or coverstain.. wish me luck .
If I did that to my mate she'd likely divorce me. :whistling2:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Has anyone tried Kilz Max for a blocking primer? I haven't yet, but I've heard it's a great alternative to BIN as a latex high performance primer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts