Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
I have been in the residential and commercial painting business, off and of, since 1974. Out of those 42 years I have a about 20 years as a full-time painter. I am an independent contractor and do a great deal of sub-work in the Cleveland/Northeast Ohio area. I am 61 years of age and surprisingly, still very fit. I don't muscle around 40 foot ladders as well as I used to nor to I take many jobs which require it. Here is something I learned from an old school painter in 1974....if you are right handed, you cut in and roll a wall from right to left (counter clockwise). If you are left handed, you cut and roll a wall from left to right (clockwise). Many guys I work with are right handed but work left to right. The reasoning behind my left to right work is as follows. The old school painter told me that by working right to left and backing up as you go, the newly finished work is always in front of you and you are moving away from it. That way there is no risk of bumping the freshly painted work with your elbow and marring it with a piece of clothing. How many of you follow the same rule for painting? Just curious.
Hope to speak to all of you again real soon
-Keith
(cykotic)

·
Administrator
19,584 Posts
Welcome to the group Keith. Right handed and typically cut from left to right unless I'm in the mood to go right to left.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hi Keith, welcome.

I was taught the opposite from an old Union painter. Left to right as a right hander.

That's interesting reasoning for the right to left thing, never heard that. I guess left to right just feels more natural to me, though I will go the other way in some situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,802 Posts
Welcome!

I'm a lefty and go left to right, not for fear of bumping the wall but because my left arm is closer to the wall that way enabling me to make a longer cut with each move rather than crossing myself before getting to the wall. That's how I justify it anyway, I wasn't taught to go one way or another it's just that way I've always done it and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Welcome!

I'm a lefty and usually cut and roll from right to left. It just feels right to me. I'm pretty adept with my right hand so I actually change hands frequently to break the monotony and to increase cut lengths before moving the ladder. I bet some guys on here would fire me if they saw me doing this on one of their jobs!

·
Administrator
19,584 Posts
It's funny but I paid some actual attention to it today and realize that I pretty much go both ways because of the textures we have out here. If you try to go only one directions you'll end up spending way more time trying to get paint into all the little cracks and crevices than you will if you make a sweep going both directions. Of course that can vary depending on the texture.

Reactions: SemiproJohn

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It's funny but I paid some actual attention to it today and realize that I pretty much go both ways because of the textures we have out here. If you try to go only one directions you'll end up spending way more time trying to get paint into all the little cracks and crevices than you will if you make a sweep going both directions. Of course that can vary depending on the texture.

Welcome to Paint Talk!
RH, Doesn't the op mean what "direction do you work towards?" As opposed to "which direction do you move your brush?"

Right handed and work left to right usually/always.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm right handed. I never knew why I did do it the way I do it , It just felt more comfortable (for lack of better words) to me. If I'm working by myself I prefer to go from right to left rolling and cutting. I can do it any direction if needed. If I am getting help I ask them to pick the way they want to go and I'll meet them on the other side of the room. Welcome to Paint talk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts