Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I asked the guy who just reroofed my "barn" (more a glorified shed) about credit cards. He opined that it would be faster payment, but too much of a hassle and extra expense for his size. It's just he and another guy.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
There is a way around credit cards that saves you any expense and doesn't violate a merchant agreement. Present a price that is 3% higher and offer a 3% discount for cash or check payment.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Scott, that is definitely true.. so would I if given a 30 day net, but Bill is not offering terms. His contract says payable upon receipt. Legally, you don't have much leg to stand on in terms of interest, collection or lien until after 30 days or more.
Then he should take out the reference to 30 days and service charge. In the customers mind, he is tacitly approving 30 day payment.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Then he should take out the reference to 30 days and service charge. In the customers mind, he is tacitly approving 30 day payment.
Its a catch-22. If you don't put that in there, you cannot collect a service fee. I agree though that it does imply what you are interpreting.

Bill, it may be a good idea to separate the parts.

Payment is due 100% upon completion (that's what my invoice says)
Then in an area marked: Nonpayment penalties.. Your fee, what happens if they don't pay, etc.

·
SeHablaEspañol
843 Posts
Sorry to crash in your thread Bill...

Uff... Talking about collecting...

I've been burned one time in 2010, 2 times in late 2011 and I just got my first for 2012 at the beginning of February, even though my invoice specifies "Due Upon Completion" for some might seem to mean "take your sweet time or don't pay at all"

I started sending updated Invoices with interest added every month to one person that owes us for a few houses since late 2010, his response, "you can send me all you wan't, I ain't gonna pay, and if you take me to court, I will put the money in trust and good luck getting it"

I guess if people don't wanna pay they won't pay and I usually let go and move on if I don't get paid in a few months, the hassle of court stuff and time back and forth isn't worth what's owed, until now that I do the math from all of the jobs I didn't get paid and it pi$$es me off.

I just have such a luck with some people and I think that if I keep getting ripped off, 2012 will be my last year.

And my problem is that I trust people so much or maybe naive it's the right word.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I started sending updated Invoices with interest added every month to one person that owes us for a few houses since late 2010, his response, "you can send me all you wan't, I ain't gonna pay, and if you take me to court, I will put the money in trust and good luck getting it"
That's a little vicious. What prompted him to say that?

·
Administrator
19,904 Posts
Sorry to crash in your thread Bill...

Uff... Talking about collecting...

I've been burned one time in 2010, 2 times in late 2011 and I just got my first for 2012 at the beginning of February, even though my invoice specifies "Due Upon Completion" for some might seem to mean "take your sweet time or don't pay at all"

I guess if people don't wanna pay they won't pay and I usually let go and move on if I don't get paid in a few months, the hassle of court stuff and time back and forth isn't worth what's owed, until now that I do the math from all of the jobs I didn't get paid and it pi$$es me off.

I just have such a luck with some people and I think that if I keep getting ripped off, 2012 will be my last year.

And my problem is that I trust people so much or maybe naive it's the right word.
Aztec -
Didn't seem like you were "crashing" at all.
And I thought Canadians were supposed to all be such nice people. :confused1:

Bill-
Haven't had too many payment issues over the years. I do have a service fee which has always been paid (terms: Payment due upon completion. Anything past 10 working days gets a $25 service fee which is repeated with each successive statement sent out). I've stayed away from more than a few potential customers because of bad vibes. Perhaps that's helped my odds - or I've just been lucky.

·
SeHablaEspañol
843 Posts
That's a little vicious. What prompted him to say that?
Vicious not only to me, there were other trades too that I knew of, including other 2 painting companies after I left.

Aztec -
Didn't seem like you were "crashing" at all.
And I thought Canadians were supposed to all be such nice people. :confused1:
Most Canadians are pretty nice people but you can find all types like everywhere else, and some still don't accept the fact that Canada is made out of foreign people but I won't get into details.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Vicious not only to me, there were other trades too that I knew of, including other 2 painting companies after I left.
Pressure wash guy was hoping for something juicier.

Make something up, something he can pick on.
"Jerkface clients" leaves him nothing to work with.

"Did you deserve it?"
yeah pressure guy, all painters are incompetent...

lol.

·
SeHablaEspañol
843 Posts
Pressure wash guy was hoping for something juicier.

Make something up, something he can pick on.
"Jerkface clients" leaves him nothing to work with.

"Did you deserve it?"
yeah pressure guy, all painters are incompetent...

lol.
Ok as requested. lol

I priced the job, GC accepted it and we did a lot of work for him previously, (14 condo building int and ext, a 3 story heritage restoration int and ext)

For this project we did 18 houses for them, I never changed my price even if they added some extras between houses as I was trying to be fair and keep price the same so everyone was happy (in this case stupid of me I believe)

He always said he was happy with our job and we were doing good, we always completed every house on time and sometimes trying hard to get it done with his unrealistic deadlines (and a lot of drywall deficiencies that all of the sudden the gc said that was my problem)

It was a big job to be done, 78 houses for that subdivision and painters stopped by all the time and gave him quotes (I supposed some were lowballing) For the last 4 houses he decided to say I was too expensive but he told me until the end, one day he call me telling me saying he wasn't gonna use us anymore (although it was a relief cause I was wanting to quit and I didn't because of my wife)

I couldn't get my money out of him for the 4 houses we finished and 2 I left with primer and ceilings done but I didn't care much about those 2.

I guess I did prompt him to say that as I didn't want to lower my price.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Ok as requested. lol

I priced the job, GC accepted it and we did a lot of work for him previously, (14 condo building int and ext, a 3 story heritage restoration int and ext)

For this project we did 18 houses for them, I never changed my price even if they added some extras between houses as I was trying to be fair and keep price the same so everyone was happy (in this case stupid of me I believe)

He always said he was happy with our job and we were doing good, we always completed every house on time and sometimes trying hard to get it done with his unrealistic deadlines (and a lot of drywall deficiencies that all of the sudden the gc said that was my problem)

It was a big job to be done, 78 houses for that subdivision and painters stopped by all the time and gave him quotes (I supposed some were lowballing) For the last 4 houses he decided to say I was too expensive but he told me until the end, one day he call me telling me saying he wasn't gonna use us anymore (although it was a relief cause I was wanting to quit and I didn't because of my wife)

I couldn't get my money out of him for the 4 houses we finished and 2 I left with primer and ceilings done but I didn't care much about those 2.

I guess I did prompt him to say that as I didn't want to lower my price.
I avoid GC's, they have far too much control, and stubbornly refuse to be transparent when clearly, they are aware of a major issue.
Usually they are using that time formulating their "profitable" escape...while the subs are left empty handed.

Or, empty pocketed.

Sorry man, the Wife has kept me dealing with situations I would rather walk away from.
It's the harsher side of marriage, but we're better men for it.
or something...

·
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
4,508 Posts
Sorry to hear that. That's the reason I always ask for 1/3 or 1/2 depending on the job. I've been burned twice. A least I can cover some of the materials. I did this job for a lady that wanted some metal chairs stripped and painted. I bought a sandblaster to do the job plus materials I she just didn't wanted to pay after job was completed. :censored:

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts

Most Canadians are pretty nice people but you can find all types like everywhere else, and some still don't accept the fact that Canada is made out of foreign people but I won't get into details.
Canada is made of some nice people but there is a thread of racist sentiment in some of the people.

Look at the treatment of First Nation peoples there for a starter glimpse.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Aztec...buy a few bottles of paint remover and start tossing it on some siding !!! J/K LOL...I know it is no fun getting ripped and we have been very fortunate of that . I got ripped by a restoration guy from Nova Scotia a few years ago . He got us for about 5 Grand and he ended up going bankrupt a 2nd time and is now again running another clean up company in NS once again so I had heard...and I will meet him some day...

I sent a contractor a bill for a home we started in first week of November and i invoiced him on Dec 28 . I got nothing from him...thus I sent a statement last week with 2 months interest around 300 bucks . I had 30 days and 2% monthly on the original invoice...he sent me a check today for the original...but no interest . It was over 6 Grand...ticks me off when I think about it and now because he is taking advantage of our graciousness...he will be the first contractor I will be collecting from before I finish...enough of the bullcrap . We are painters...not banks !

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My contract also says Balance due upon completion. Just to make sure of that, one or two days before the final day I will say, "Oh Mrs. Jones, we will be finished Wednesday, so I will need a check." Sometimes they give it to me right then, or I will get the-Oh I will be leaving at 9 am that day. Then I can reply with an alternative solution.

I do wait for my larger clients to pay, but that is just the way it is. Never been jilted,yet.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Canada is made of some nice people but there is a thread of racist sentiment in some of the people.

Look at the treatment of First Nation peoples there for a starter glimpse.
Never have truer words been spoken. Canadian multiculturalism is a joke, we entertain veiled racist ideas that are systemic and far reaching. Our treatment of First Nations, whose land we are STILL on, is appalling historically and currently. First Nations are still treated as if they won't amount to anything and systemically oppressed!

·
Registered
635 Posts
How about "Balance due or full payment (whichever applicable) required upon completion. Late payments will be subject to a $25 administration fee."

That way you have in the clause you want for late fee, yet haven't bound yourself to a timescale.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts