1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Painting - interior/exterior/stain
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Water Botany Wood Infrastructure
Good AM everyone!
I was scoping out some work for a repeat customer this AM…and she has a brand new metal railing that was just installed.

looking for some advice on doing this railing in line w product and process. Brand new iron porch railing, exposed to elements…I was thinking of buffing out the spots that are already rusting w wire brush/wheel and doing a primer coat, and two coats of an oil base paint. My question is, folks who have done a similar project, what product do you recommend?

Plant Water Botany Wood Infrastructure

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Good AM everyone!
I was scoping out some work for a repeat customer this AM…and she has a brand new metal railing that was just installed.

looking for some advice on doing this railing in line w product and process. Brand new iron porch railing, exposed to elements…I was thinking of buffing out the spots that are already rusting w wire brush/wheel and doing a primer coat, and two coats of an oil base paint. My question is, folks who have done a similar project, what product do you recommend?
Sand off surface rust, blow, Oil DTM with HVLP.
Products: P23, P22, Rust scat...

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
like coco said, Oil 'Direct To Metal', or even Rustoleum.

You can roll it with a 3/8" nap roller if that's more your speed ( just listen for the sound of sizzling bacon when rolling, so you don't ever-apply).

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If thats brand new, I would Ospho the rust, then good ole' Rustoleum black. I've compared it side by side with several other DTM/industrial paints, oil and waterborne, and Rustoleum is the best, and longest lasting. You have to thin it with acetone though. I wish it was tintable. I would have painted my van with it if I could make the color I want.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If thats brand new, I would Ospho the rust, then good ole' Rustoleum black. I've compared it side by side with several other DTM/industrial paints, oil and waterborne, and Rustoleum is the best, and longest lasting. You have to thin it with acetone though. I wish it was tintable. I would have painted my van with it if I could make the color I want.
Rustoleum comes in tint bases..

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
Seeing that reminds me of why I chose powder coated aluminum railings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts