Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my 20+ years of experience I have always had to prime black walls twice followed by 2 finish coats to make them solidly white. But now, it seems every paint manufacturer out there is making a paint with primer in it that's supposed to cover like nothing ever before.

So far, I've specified a few paints over the past year with primer built in (which I won't name here) that haven't entirely lived up to their hype OR their price. But now, push has come to shove and I have an entire restaurant to paint later this month for a New York Times spread in a matter of only two days! The walls are all DARK blues, blacks and reds and we have to make them picture perfect White with only enough time to apply two coats.

I've checked Consumer Reports and according to their testing, BM Aura Satin is the best covering paint out there. And second to that, I was surprised to see Behr Premium Plus Ultra Satin Enamel at half the price! But before I commit to the job and the price, I need to KNOW that my guys will get out of there with the best results in the two days we've got to do it (I'd usually call this a 3-day restaurant for a crew of 3)

So the million dollar question is: Is there a paint out there that will cover Black, Blue and Red with White in two coats? (Of course, when I ask our suppliers, they all have a great recommendation of there own product knowing full well that when it doesn't cover, our only option is to buy more of their paint!)

What paint would you use if you were in this position as a painting contractor?

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
I'd think any good quality dead flat would
Cover black in 2........... Not really
Sure though cause I'm not into that GOTH stuff

·
Registered
981 Posts
I like the Manor Hall Timeless from PPG for covering in deep base colors...but I also know that is not what you asked ! I have never used it over Black...but I would have to say it is the best out of what I have available to pick from . I don't have a BM store in this area .

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
In my 20+ years of experience I have always had to prime black walls twice followed by 2 finish coats to make them solidly white. But now, it seems every paint manufacturer out there is making a paint with primer in it that's supposed to cover like nothing ever before.

So far, I've specified a few paints over the past year with primer built in (which I won't name here) that haven't entirely lived up to their hype OR their price. But now, push has come to shove and I have an entire restaurant to paint later this month for a New York Times spread in a matter of only two days! The walls are all DARK blues, blacks and reds and we have to make them picture perfect White with only enough time to apply two coats.

heres a vid of mine, its a short vid :whistling2: .........DEEP DARK BLUE door i used SW Prep right? latex primer think thats what its called but anyway look for yourself it almost covered in 1 ........hope this helps an good luck man

http://youtu.be/5JRs7LuCEUk

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nothing is going to cover black in 2 coats especially with the new formulas and VOC laws. Maybe 20 years ago there was something but it probably was found to be harmful to all of us.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
Nothing is going to cover black in 2 coats especially with the new formulas and VOC laws. Maybe 20 years ago there was something but it probably was found to be harmful to all of us.

it will cover on the flats but maybe not edges ...........go back an edit your post now :blink:

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
what the Canadian needs to do is hit it once with a full coat then as its settin up touch up the edges as he goes then after it dries hit it with a full 2nd coat .....BANG !! it will cover trust me i know this man and besides its a god damn restaurant for cryin out load !! have you ever been in one with the lights one ??? MISSES EVERYWHERE

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
how much did you pay for your Zebra an what do you feed it ?.....:blink:
Got it for like 20 bucks from china, it does have rabies so ill have to figure that out. Im actually trying to start a lawncare service, they eat grass. Trying to keep the overhead low.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It may be true that Aura is the best covering paint around, but if it is base 1, it doesn't cover any better than any other brand. The super coverage only applies to darker colors. In fact, I think Aura in white or yellow covers pretty poorly comparing to other paints. Also, I"m not sure why you think that paint with primer in the can will help paint to cover better. That's just a marketing trick....there isn't any primer in those cans, and even if there was, it's not like that would make the paint cover better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I recently painted some doors and frames white. Previous colour was a dark burgundy and I primed them with BM fresh start (k046) and topped them with 1 coat of semi and they turned out great.
I was really impressed with this product and would recommend it for extreme colour changes.
BTW, dries fast too!

·
Banned
404 Posts
NO! Prime and 2 coats!

Reactions: TheRogueBristle

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
I'm partial to Aura. But I'd seriously think about buying a quart of each and taking them out for a test drive. All the internet advise in the world won't amount to a hill of beans until you actually put paint to wall.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts