Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Ya, I never had any "skin problems" until just recently. I'm chalking it up to time spent in the paint booth. Maybe it's the BIN. Or combination of BIN and Beer.:unsure:🤷‍♀️
I've definitely developed a skin allergy to oil-based products and some thinners. If I touch the stuff (oil based poly, oil based stains, I think OMS, turpentine, or anything else "oily") I can feel it irritating the skin, and I will usually break out in a minor local rash in the next day or two. If I'm even in the same room, it makes the skin on my face tingle. I haven't identified exactly what is causing it, but anything "oily" I am careful to wear gloves and wash my hands thoroughly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ya, I never had any "skin problems" until just recently. I'm chalking it up to time spent in the paint booth. Maybe it's the BIN. Or combination of BIN and Beer.:unsure:🤷‍♀️
:ROFLMAO:
I've definitely developed a skin allergy to oil-based products and some thinners. If I touch the stuff (oil based poly, oil based stains, I think OMS, turpentine, or anything else "oily") I can feel it irritating the skin, and I will usually break out in a minor local rash in the next day or two. If I'm even in the same room, it makes the skin on my face tingle. I haven't identified exactly what is causing it, but anything "oily" I am careful to wear gloves and wash my hands thoroughly.
Tingling face doesn't sound very pleasant at all. Back when I used to use a lot of oil based stuff for me the coatings weren't as bad but the thinner was terrible, would almost always get a rash when I would use it to clean my hands and arms. A few years ago someone told me coconut oil works to remove oil stain on the skin. Not as effective as thinner but it's a lot friendlier on the skin. Plus the added benefit of smelling like a coconut the rest of the day.

·
Registered
Property Manager
114 Posts
Back in the day I when we used 3M products exclusively my rep brought in someone to actually fit full masks to my painters. The problem was with guys with beards or not clean shaven. We were spraying AWLGRIP which is a polyester based urethane. We used fresh air full hoods with tear away faces. Wearing the proper PPE is one thing. having it fit properly adds another level of complexity.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts