Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a job I talked a little about on contractor talk.

House was completely sandblasted and bone dry, just waiting to be painted. Trim got a full A100 oil prime + 2 full coats of superpaint in satin. Body got spot primed with tinted A100 (due to some random bleedthrough) + 2 full coats of Cabot ProVT in "Dune Grey". Took us a good 4 weeks due to weather and the fact that is was all roll, brush, and backbrushing. Total job cost was a bit over 7k.

Attachments

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Painter
It's either way really, but I find more homes up here with the trim just faced off. I look for the old paint to find out what the pattern was. This house and the current house I'm painting we're originally done this way and I just follow suit unless the HO wants otherwise

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice work Rich!

I see by the last pic that you painted the body colour up to the edge of the trim ...is this how you usually do it.
Nine times out of ten that's how it's done up here. I think it looks better that way. It's hard to get a good looking line against most caulk jobs...

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks John...

I think the total was 23 gallons of stain....soaked it up like a bee-atch

it's a much bigger house than it looks in the pics though too

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Painter
It's either way really, but I find more homes up here with the trim just faced off. I look for the old paint to find out what the pattern was. This house and the current house I'm painting we're originally done this way and I just follow suit unless the HO wants otherwise

We always face off most all exterior projects as well... unless requested otherwise. I find clients that have tudor homes like to keep the trim cut in on the sides with trim color (not faced off)

How do you post pics not attachments but pics like you did rich?

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Thanks rich I now know how to resize and upload photos. Heres some pics of a house we are currently doing. The house was built in 1845

Attachments

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy Cow...that's a big house. What size crew you running on that one?

·
Paint contractor
22 Posts
Facing off houses in the areas around here where I work is like putting a sign up saying "I'm a hack".

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Normally termed "california cut"... fairly common on the cheaper homes.

We call it commercial cut in around here. I don't think it has anything to do with cheaper homes. We are a high end painting company... very well established for 40 years and never once have I heard a concern or complaint by a customer because of facing exterior houses. Like I said in my previous post the only time we can't get away with that is on tudor style homes.

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Facing off houses in the areas around here where I work is like putting a sign up saying "I'm a hack".

Cutting exterior trim in on the sides for no apperant reason is like putting up a sign saying I dont know how to be productive and make money

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never heard such a goofy thing

How does a home owners preference make anyone a hack?

·
Paint contractor
22 Posts
Reason is that is the way they are done around here.People are used to it.They read the designer mags and know that is the way it is done.

·
Paint contractor
22 Posts
We call it commercial cut in around here. I don't think it has anything to do with cheaper homes. We are a high end painting company... very well established for 40 years and never once have I heard a concern or complaint by a customer because of facing exterior houses. Like I said in my previous post the only time we can't get away with that is on tudor style homes.
Just the fact that it is called a commercial cut should tell you it doesn't belong on residential.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts