Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My pockets aren't deep enough for a boat load of labor then waiting 30 to 90 days for payment:mad:
I am gonna have to use profits from other residential jobs to cover the labor. Eventually, I'd like to have a full time commercial crew, full time residential crew, and full time apartment crew.

I'm not blowing my own horn, but I overheard the GC telling another guy (after we started) that "It sure is f*ckin' nice to have painters that actually know what they are doing". Gotta admit, my chest got a lil puffy after that comment.:yes:

· Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently - I missed that article. 'Cause I wasn't sure what you were talkin about.

BTW, I totally underestimated this job. Off on materials by about 50% and off on labor by ~30%. I am basically doing this at cost:mad:. No wonder - I won the bid.

I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned and try to do better next time. It's been a great learning experience so far.

· Registered
5,516 Posts
I just completed a job about that size w/o shooting the deck (thankfully), props on covering the lifts, I try my best to keep the "cleaning fee" out of my expenses.
Sounds like you are a good fit for the type of painter they seek, get ready to travel!

· Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BB - Thanks. I talked to the GC this evening and asked him if we were taking care of him. He said we are doing a great job - but we ran out of paint today- he was shocked we got as much done as we did. Again, this falls on me - 10 5'rs of dryfall only covered half of what I estimated. Obviously, they've been dealing with some sub-par performers. I am hoping his lack of headaches will justify my higher price on future projects.

· Registered
5,447 Posts
exactly. After we did the water clarifiers.. we spoke to the GC about how we took a bath on the project, they were cool about it and let us know what was allotted for the project and they then knew what to bid for the next coal tar application.

· Registered
5,447 Posts
Alright - man, I am going show my ignorance here. What in the hell are you talkin about? Be specific because I am truly interested. "water clarifiers" "coal tar application"???:blink:

bout the nastiest thing there is to coat. Red lead in a tank would be way worse.. but this is right up there..

water clarifiers are the "poop" tanks that process the waste at water treatment plants. The inner "scrap arm" must be coated with coal tar epoxy to withstand the acids in the water.. AND being submerged in the water. It goes on to a certain mil thickness.. can't remember what it is now, but that stuff is NASTY NASTY stuff.. burns the piss outta your skin, cut it with MEK or xylene and has to be pumped through a bulldog spraypump.. which is actually ran off a pull behind compressor. Has a pot life of 20ish minutes in 70deg heat.. *we were in 100+* and full spray suits with full face masks. The blue was epalon epoxy from Sherwin Williams.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.