Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a kitchen cabinet project starting next week and I love some suggestions on how to paint this part of it. It is a built in wine rack. I have no idea hot to pull it apart, and would prefer not to if possible. I have thought about adding a Graco Clean Shot onto an extension, but I'm not sure how that will turn out. I appreciate your thoughts.

Update: The front rack came out but not the back one.

Shelf Blue Wood Shelving Rectangle
Shelf Blue Wood Shelving Rectangle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya. Those stupid things. I will usually either talk them into leaving it "unpainted", pull it out all together and install shelving, or dismantle it to paint. Probably just tacked in with a couple pins. Problem is not tearing it apart while trying to re-install..
Ya, I don't want to destroy it while attempting to pull it apart.
I hoping there is a solution to paint it in place. Best thing I can come up with is the extension with a clean shot valve...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking that will probably going to have to dismantle it to paint. Any recommendations on how to do that? I've never taken one apart before.

·
Registered
Independent Painting Contractor
2,374 Posts
Curious: can the whole unit be pulled out? If so, you could check if there are screws holding the rails. If not, they may be staples, glue or brads. It would help to know how they were put together. It could, well be, that they are not fastened at all and the rack may just slide out of the box, once the wine is removed.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,230 Posts
Curious: can the whole unit be pulled out? If so, you could check if there are screws holding the rails. If not, they may be staples, glue or brads. It would help to know how they were put together. It could, well, be that they are not fastened at all and the rack may just slide out of the box, once the wine is removed.
Exactly what I was going to say. The ones I have done are usually just a tight fit. Give it a good wiggle, it will probably slide out. You may however consider chopping an 1/8" of it prior to installation as to not tear your paint up. Then maybe pin some holder strips on the edges to hold it in place. Pre-painted of course..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys. I had never even considered that it might just be floating in there. That would just be too easy 😉. I really hope that is the case.
Starting on Tuesday, I'll let you know.

Bonus question. How much caulking do you guys do on the boxes of the cabinets? Do you caulk the crown or the boxes to the walls, etc...?

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Thank you guys. I had never even considered that it might just be floating in there. That would just be too easy 😉. I really hope that is the case.
Starting on Tuesday, I'll let you know.

Bonus question. How much caulking do you guys do on the boxes of the cabinets? Do you caulk the crown or the boxes to the walls, etc...?
I caulk every open gap I see after the prime coat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Those wine racks are always a PIA. They all seem to be installed differently, too, depending on the manufacturer. If we can get them apart, we do it. The whole wine rack box may also just be screwed in place, which if removed, may allow you more access. Check inside the adjacent cabinet to see if you can see screws holding it in place. With that being said, we have had to do a few in place. We spray them as best as we can. An HVLP will offer a bit more control. Once we have done the best we can, sometimes we have had to pull out a brush and touch up the deepest, darkest crevices to ensure coverage.

·
Administrator
21,541 Posts
If it ends up having to stay, I’d spray the area the best I could without overloading and then just paint the remaining spots with a brush and weenie roller. With the front rack and bottles in place, you’re likely to never see any marks. Don’t over think it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts