Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
In all seriousness, I never work alone on ladders and have a buddy system requirement for all ladder and electrical work on all my jobs.

Often use one tough drop cloth, they're made of surgical cloth and have a waterproof grippy layer underneath.

If I need to protect a floor from drops I will bring in thin sheets of MDF but those will slide on the floor unless you duct tape them down I will also use Ram Board which is taped down

·
Administrator
20,036 Posts
Simply get someone that knows how to spot a ladder. If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be painting at all, go back to the office!
I could certainly figure that out, and I’ve been painting for some time now - but being a OMS I have to have procedures figured out that allow me to work independently and be safe at the same time.

26 Posts
We don't have to be politically correct about this....its not completed unless you make it. Too many wanna bees think they're painters, because they painted their mothers kitchen.

·
Administrator
20,036 Posts
We don't have to be politically correct about this....its not completed unless you make it. Too many wanna bees think they're painters, because they painted their mothers kitchen.
uhhh... okay...

Guess I’m missing what is PC about any part of this thread. A guy not experienced with working on hardwood floors wants ideas on protecting them and being safe. Helping out by sharing our experience with this type of thing is pretty much what PT is about. And although most here are professional painters (ie. we earn money by painting) it’s safe to say there are many levels of expertise represented. If we all had all the answers, there wouldn’t be much need for the forum in the first place.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Simply get someone that knows how to spot a ladder. If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be painting at all, go back to the office!

This is dangerous thinking in my opinion. It’s perfectly reasonable to have a ground person when doing ladder work of course, but “have some guy hold it” is never the answer to a sketchy ladder set up.

No. Your ladder needs to be set up in a way that you’re as close to %100 certain as possible that it’s not going anywhere. Want somebody to stand at the bottom to make you feel better? Fine, go for it. That has 0 to do with setting up a ladder safely.

If your relying on a person standing at the bottom of a ladder for safety, you probably should go back to the office before you get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Put down Ramboard or some other such floor protection product and make sure it is well affixed to the floor (Gorilla tape works well). Just factor the cost of it (and time to put it down and take it up) into your bid.
Obviously you haven't had any problems but do you worry about the gorilla tape pulling the finish off the laminate? I have read about blue tape pulling it off after a couple days. The gorilla tape has a lot more adhesion so even if you only left it on a short time it seems like it could cause a problem.

·
Administrator
20,036 Posts
Obviously you haven't had any problems but do you worry about the gorilla tape pulling the finish off the laminate? I have read about blue tape pulling it off after a couple days. The gorilla tape has a lot more adhesion so even if you only left it on a short time it seems like it could cause a problem.
Guess that could be a possible issue with laminates. I use it with hardwood and tile floors without any issues. Ramboard makes their own tape so perhaps that would be safer for questionable surfaces.

Reactions: Toolseeker
26 Posts

This is dangerous thinking in my opinion. It’s perfectly reasonable to have a ground person when doing ladder work of course, but “have some guy hold it” is never the answer to a sketchy ladder set up.

No. Your ladder needs to be set up in a way that you’re as close to %100 certain as possible that it’s not going anywhere. Want somebody to stand at the bottom to make you feel better? Fine, go for it. That has 0 to do with setting up a ladder safely.

If your relying on a person standing at the bottom of a ladder for safety, you probably should go back to the office before you get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously if you have complications on how to use a ladder, you must be in the wrong business. To many wanna bees here! Professional painters don't ask rookie questions. So just step aside and let the pros handle it.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
Seriously if you have complications on how to use a ladder, you must be in the wrong business. To many wanna bees here! Professional painters don't ask rookie questions. So just step aside and let the pros handle it.
Wow! Great bunch of first posts. Going by what you're saying it sort of comes across as the members here are the village idiots and you're the consummate pro. Wonderful.

Now here's where it get's interesting and real; You want to stir the pot, infer that someone isn't a professional or anything of that nature, I will personally ban your azz permanently off of this forum. Were I you, I wouldn't question my ability to do so, or take what I've just stated as not being serious. I would hope we have an understanding about this.

·
Administrator
20,036 Posts
Wow! Great bunch of first posts. Going by what you're saying it sort of comes across as the members here are the village idiots and you're the consummate pro. Wonderful.

Now here's where it get's interesting and real; You want to stir the pot, infer that someone isn't a professional or anything of that nature, I will personally ban your azz permanently off of this forum. Were I you, I wouldn't question my ability to do so, or take what I've just stated as not being serious. I would hope we have an understanding about this.
What the hell is with this new kinder, gentler, PC Wolfie??? Oh how I miss the old one that would just tell it like it is instead of engaging in all this pussy footing (yes, I used the "P word") around. :devil3:

Reactions: Wildbill7145

·
Registered
4,010 Posts

Ditto.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
We were all rookies at one point. I wish there was something like PT when I started out - I would have been asking every stupid question under the sun. It could have saved me a lot of time and money.

Most of my knowledge was learned the old fashioned way - doing it wrong the first time and learning from my mistakes. The only good thing about lessons learned in such a manner is they tend to stick with you.

26 Posts

Really!!! If you can't take the criticism then don't ask questions!!! And theirs nothing you can do about it, stop crying like a baby!!! Mommy!!!!!!

·
Administrator
20,036 Posts
Really!!! If you can't take the criticism then don't ask questions!!! And theirs nothing you can do about it, stop crying like a baby!!! Mommy!!!!!!
I’ll let Wolf have the honor.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts