Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys it's been a awhile- although I check the forum frequently.

I bought a truck for personal use after I sold the painting biz. I needed or wanted it for all of those house projects and of course (favors for family and friends) I wanted to have the ability to transport my ladders if I needed to. Do you guys have any suggestions for ladder racks for a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 small bed extended cab. The biggest and heaviest ladder I would transport would be a fiberglass 32. I looked at Trac Rack and System One. They were a bit pricey for racks that I will only occasionally use

Oh I attached a pic of my new (used) truck. I can't believe my wife let me get it. I think she felt bad for me when I sold the van

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had this one made local for about 400 bucks. I had hooks welded on to hold my spray line. It also has the removable bar that goes across the back so I can get larger stuff in the bed.
The ones that have the flat part along the side bed are much more sturdy.

Attachments

·
hopeless perfectionist
167 Posts
Thanked 24 times in 1 post? Either you provided the cure for cancer or showed the guys how to plant their own money tree. Btw nice truck! :thumbsup:

·
17,849 Posts
Thanked 24 times in 1 post? Either you provided the cure for cancer or showed the guys how to plant their own money tree. Btw nice truck! :thumbsup:
:laughing:
I added mine so its 25 now.
There you go. I refused to conform.

Nice truck, I think I would shop around and see if you can find a local like Rob did, or go with the weekender PWG linked.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got the system one that you already looked at. It is pricey but will last as long as the truck and longer. Its the only rack that I could find that was all rust proof. The work winches also are completely rust proof. I think I paid around $800 for the van model that includes the work winches. Everyone told me to just buy a regular one at the paint store for $300 and paint it when it rusted up. F That

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I got the system one that you already looked at. It is pricey but will last as long as the truck and longer. Its the only rack that I could find that was all rust proof. The work winches also are completely rust proof. I think I paid around $800 for the van model that includes the work winches. Everyone told me to just buy a regular one at the paint store for $300 and paint it when it rusted up. F That
Just curious how your van version is holding up? The last three vans I had I put the Weather Guard saffari racks on, but was seriously considering the system One this last time. The only reason I did'nt was the anchor points. System One connects with #4 and Weather Guard connects with #6.

I load a lot of ladders in the summer, and I want the weight to be distributed over a larger area. Our first van was an 85 Chevy, and we only put two of the ladder rack bars on it. The front one was over the side door. Over the years the roof began to sag at the door and it F'd it up, would never close right..... :censored:

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I've got a similar set-up on my F250 CrewCab Rob, It's a KargoMaster ProII with the attached rachet tie downs. Supposedly a 1700 lb capacity...not in my lifetime though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just curious how your van version is holding up? The last three vans I had I put the Weather Guard saffari racks on, but was seriously considering the system One this last time. The only reason I did'nt was the anchor points. System One connects with #4 and Weather Guard connects with #6.

I load a lot of ladders in the summer, and I want the weight to be distributed over a larger area. Our first van was an 85 Chevy, and we only put two of the ladder rack bars on it. The front one was over the side door. Over the years the roof began to sag at the door and it F'd it up, would never close right..... :censored:
Ive had it on for about a year and a half now( as long as Ive had my van) and it has done great. But I only carry a 16 and 24 on one side and a 32 on the other most of the time. They are good heavy ladders but not a lot of them. They do slide on and off really easy with the inserts that come with the system one. I get alot of complements on it as most people around here have the old rusted up racks along with their old rusted up vans.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Ive had it on for about a year and a half now( as long as Ive had my van) and it has done great. But I only carry a 16 and 24 on one side and a 32 on the other most of the time. They are good heavy ladders but not a lot of them. They do slide on and off really easy with the inserts that come with the system one. I get alot of complements on it as most people around here have the old rusted up racks along with their old rusted up vans.
Thanks Capital. The reason I ask, this is what I look like in the summer. Usually more....

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

I just ordered the weekender racks. Thanks guys

Kind of embarrassing but it will do the trick. LOL Somehow I'm picturing myself being the neighborhood DOUCHE loading my ladders on the "Weekender Racks"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts