Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because she didn't like the color on her house. She picked BM Shaker Beige with white trim.

It was an aluminum bungalow with attached garage. We did a great job. The first day, she was there when we prepped and sprayed the window casings white.

The next day, we sprayed the siding but she was out of town. We finish the job and she calls me this morning to tell me she doesn't like the color and can't pay for it.

Well, I can take a lot of [email protected]@t, but if you mess with my money, you unleash the beast.

I had to wind up raising my voice to the highest level. She picked the color, not me, but she said it was too yellow and she told me no yellow.

I told her I was not responsible for the color, she picked it. She told me she consulted me on it. I told her that I told her to get sample paint and put a few swatches on the house. She didn't do that. Said she didn't need to.

There was about six weeks time in between her signing the contract, and us starting the work. She didn't pick the color until the day we pressure washed it.

I told her I can repaint the siding, but she needs to pay me for the work done first. And that there would be another charge to repaint.

After some back and forth she broke down and told me to come over for the check.

Now I have to hope that it clears.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
THE reason to never get between a client and their paint color. I am (I hope somewhat humorously) known for dancing around when people ask for color recommendations.
Hope you can make it clear that your job is applicator, and you applied what she asked for.
Decorator is another profession.

· Registered
335 Posts
This is the main reason, I would rather do commerical jobs with an architect. It is totally her fault, and she should pay. You aren't a mind reader. I would rather not deal with homeowners. The nice thing on commercial is that it is speced, and in writing. If there is a change, send through the change order. In residential, there is way too much gray area. The same thing goes for design build jobs also. They are the same way.

· Registered
462 Posts
I hate it when customers ask me to pick their color.

"Well you do this every day,you see all kinds of colors,you know what looks good and what does'nt" they tell me.

Yeah,I know that 99% of the jobs I do the colors do look good together,but it's just my opinion,I didnt go to decorator's school,I don't know what you like,just pick a damn color,is what I feel like telling them.

But I always just say,well all those colors your considering arer pretty nuetral,seems to me that you can't go wrong with any combination of any of those colors,but this one looks best TO ME.

· Registered
335 Posts
You should always always apply a swatch of paint and show the HO and have it approved before you paint. You're still completely in the right and should be paid for your work.
Many times owners go off the color deck, and once it's applied they are like that doesn't look like what I picked. You are right, they should go buy the sample paint and put some on the wall. This is the only way they will know for sure. This has happened countless times to me where they want to change their minds in the middle of painting.

A couple more annoying things: they are suppose to pick the colors out at SW for example, and don't make it to the store but want you there the next day. And the best that happens is they pick out three or four colors. One is from menards, lowes, home depot, and SW. Just pick them out from one store for godsakes. I am happy about 90 percent of the work I do is in commerical.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sully said:
You should always always apply a swatch of paint and show the HO and have it approved before you paint. You're still completely in the right and should be paid for your work.
Yeah, I left put the part that she went out of town without letting me know. She left the day did the white, and wasn't there when we did the beige.

· Banned
5,000 Posts
I used to tint up the color right there in the living room an apply samples but now gettin ''FREE'' tints is gettin hard to do with all the kids workin the SW stores ........they follow the rules cause they're scared of gettin fired ...........lame...................so from now on I just tell them to pick whatever an ill put it up..........my old boss used to recommend WHITE lol

· Retired Moderator
10,329 Posts
Part of my contract has a blank underlined area that I can put in the paint color info: mfg, color,code. There is another underlined area for the customer to initial that they have chosen that color and are responsible. Should cover you in any events that come up.

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
Beige and white huh? Seems to me she asked for problems by going with extremes like that. :001_huh:

I only do interior and mainly residential. The paint company I primarily deal with makes up sample quarts for five dollars. I always urge my customers to get some in their final color choices and put them on. I'll do it for them but charge for it. It can be a real PITA as well as time consuming to do this but if I'm getting paid (T&M) then fine. Even so, they are the ones responsible for making the final choices

QUOTE=Wolfgang;233489]Part of my contract has a blank underlined area that I can put in the paint color info: mfg, color,code. There is another underlined area for the customer to initial that they have chosen that color and are responsible. Should cover you in any events that come up.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Mine have a spot for color and sheen information with very clear language that the customer is authorizing the application of the color and sheen that THEY have chosen. Having the customer sign off may not prevent having an unhappy customer but it keeps you out of potential trouble.

· PinheadsUnite
30,726 Posts
One Coat,

The way you describe it, you had no input on color choice. Can't imagine why she's putting it on you. Well, this modern age is is rife with people not taking responsibility for their own damn choices.

In the future, when someone makes a last minute choice like that, have them sign something that signifies this is the color they have chosen, that they have refused to have a test swatch made, that they understand the color in the bucket will not exactly match the color chip, and that perception of colors can change due to size of house, lighting, and many other factors beyond the control of the painting professional.

It is our responsibility to make sure these idiots understand why they need to test the color to make sure it is right. It is NOT our responsibility to make sure they like "Misty Morning Dew" nor should we recommend a color.

That said, I did mix my own colors. BUT I had the HO approve a DRIED sample on the wall/siding before application. "Is this the color you wanted?"

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,342 Posts
In the future, when someone makes a last minute choice like that, have them sign something that signifies this is the color they have chosen, that they have refused to have a test swatch made, that they understand the color in the bucket will not exactly match the color chip, and that perception of colors can change due to size of house, lighting, and many other factors beyond the control of the painting professional."
This is a good point Bill. I've stood where I can look into two or more rooms at once, all painted the same color, and it looks like they are all different. Time of day, amount and type of light, reflected light coming in from lots of greenery outside, floor covering colors, furnishings, etc. - we all know these factors can affect the way something looks on a wall. Some colors (I call them "chameleon colors") are worse than others. I always point this out to my customers before they start making their choices. Sometimes that makes their choosing even more difficult but I'd rather they be aware of these issues than not.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts