Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
By the way the term "decorator" is not that big of a deal, it just includes decorative finishes, wallpaper and colour technology. I bet every one on this thread has those skills any way.[/QUOTE]

All the time I've spent painting over the last 9 years I have only had the opportunity to hang wallpaper once and I was told it was a PITA and I shouldn't do it. My foreman did the job himself anyway. I was a graffiti artist when I was a kid and I still dabble in it today, I went to art school, I taught myself how to apply a lot of painted finished to metal objects in school. Ehh hell I'm a decorator too I guess... One thing I do know is this.. I bet there aren't too many of you guys that can paint a clean thin strate line free hand with a spray paint can on a bumpy peeling wall in the dark outside in 10 degree weather. I can! :yes:

· P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
One thing I do know is this.. I bet there aren't too many of you guys that can paint a clean thin strate line free hand with a spray paint can on a bumpy peeling wall in the dark outside in 10 degree weather. I can! :yes:
Dude... your a decorator!!! Well done Sully.

· Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,340 Posts
I bet there aren't too many of you guys that can paint a clean thin strate line free hand with a spray paint can on a bumpy peeling wall in the dark outside in 10 degree weather. I can! :yes:
Fine, just make sure the HOs understand that the color is going to look different in the dark than it does on the sample... that's a tip I learned from a decorator.;)

· Registered
589 Posts
Fine, just make sure the HOs understand that the color is going to look different in the dark than it does on the sample... that's a tip I learned from a decorator.;)
I always tell HO's to look at the color in the room at night with current lighting, and then look at it again during the day when the sun light is coming through the window. Try to find something that looks good in both situations or something that looks good in the situation you will see the majority of the time and is tolerable in the opposite lighting condition. The the matching and flow of color through the home line.

· Registered
2 Posts
I couldn't imagine hiring a professional who had no idea what works.
What looks good to one person may not be the picture someone has in their mind. It is impossible to know the exact vision someone has no matter how good the painter is at colour schemes. I know this 1st hand as I have just applied a chalk wash to an entire room incl ceiling and only once all 3 colours were applied did the client say I don’t like them together. I gave them exactly the pallet they asked for and it looks good together. But it’s not what they visualised it to look like. I tried to offer my opinion at the start and they had a very clear vision only to then not like it in the actual space. It’s a matter of personal taste. You can not read minds. When it comes colour it’s like picking a fragrance for someone you don’t know. What they describe isn’t always what they want and every space carries colour differently.

· Registered
2 Posts
Because she didn't like the color on her house. She picked BM Shaker Beige with white trim.

It was an aluminum bungalow with attached garage. We did a great job. The first day, she was there when we prepped and sprayed the window casings white.

The next day, we sprayed the siding but she was out of town. We finish the job and she calls me this morning to tell me she doesn't like the color and can't pay for it.

Well, I can take a lot of [email protected]@t, but if you mess with my money, you unleash the beast.

I had to wind up raising my voice to the highest level. She picked the color, not me, but she said it was too yellow and she told me no yellow.

I told her I was not responsible for the color, she picked it. She told me she consulted me on it. I told her that I told her to get sample paint and put a few swatches on the house. She didn't do that. Said she didn't need to.

There was about six weeks time in between her signing the contract, and us starting the work. She didn't pick the color until the day we pressure washed it.

I told her I can repaint the siding, but she needs to pay me for the work done first. And that there would be another charge to repaint.

After some back and forth she broke down and told me to come over for the check.

Now I have to hope that it clears.
What sort of person allows someone to work their arse off and then refuse to pay. Karma doesn’t need an address. It saddens me deeply that Love and passion goes into our jobs and it’s not appreciated in fact it’s taken advantage of.

· Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,408 Posts
What sort of person allows someone to work their arse off and then refuse to pay. Karma doesn’t need an address. It saddens me deeply that Love and passion goes into our jobs and it’s not appreciated in fact it’s taken advantage of.
FYI. This thread is 12 years old. Thanks for sharing. Maybe take a minute and fill out your profile..thanks!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts