Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting really bad lap lines with my airless and SW Emerald interior matte finish. Plan on adding floetrol to reduce the issue, but reading such different suggestions about amounts to add. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Are you sure it's not about getting tails from pressure problems?

Floetrol is not the right thing these days. Get Benjamin Moore's extender - or find whatever copy of it SW ripped off from BM.

And start with the instructions on the label of the extender. See how that works and adjust from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much all! Tip size is 515, X7 sprayer. Can't seem to get a picture, I'll try again in the daylight tomorrow; and adjusted pressure to make sure it isn't tailing. Just drying insanely fast I think (in California, super dry and temp is around 75-80. No backrolling.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
I agree about the Floetrol not being the bees knees anymore. I like XIM’s extender. They make an oil based version and an acrylic version for each type of enamel. Way better product IMO.

·
Monarchski
140 Posts
Thanks so much all! Tip size is 515, X7 sprayer. Can't seem to get a picture, I'll try again in the daylight tomorrow; and adjusted pressure to make sure it isn't tailing. Just drying insanely fast I think (in California, super dry and temp is around 75-80. No backrolling.
Are you spraying full paneled walls? That's a huge tip for trim. Try a 411 and better yet, try InxlX Cabinet Coat with a 411. Those lower sheens in Emerald feel like sandpaper when it dries.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Are you spraying full paneled walls? That's a huge tip for trim. Try a 411 and better yet, try InxlX Cabinet Coat with a 411. Those lower sheens in Emerald feel like sandpaper when it dries.
I don't like Emerald Urethane either, especially in Satin. Feels like a chalkboard.
Just did a set of cabinets in them recently, and the customer actually liked it- wouldn't let me talk her out of it.

Will say that it sprays better than it rolls, which isn't saying much. The Emerald Semi Gloss is actually a lower sheen than Pro Classic Acrylic Alkyd Satin.

EDIT: Just realized you might be talking about regular Emerald wall paint...missed that.
I actually prefer Cashmere over SW's higher-end paint, especially the Low and Zero VOC paint, which I believe Emerald is. Seems to be more lapping, touch-ups, and hat banding problems with any of those types of paints.

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts
I don't like Emerald Urethane either, especially in Satin. Feels like a chalkboard.
Just did a set of cabinets in them recently, and the customer actually liked it- wouldn't let me talk her out of it.

Will say that it sprays better than it rolls, which isn't saying much. The Emerald Semi Gloss is actually a lower sheen than Pro Classic Acrylic Alkyd Satin.
I will use SW products (Duration is good for walls) but one of my beefs about their stuff are their wacky selection of sheens. Seems like you have to reassess what you need whenever you change products within their lines. And don’t even get me started on the “white bases” that aren’t white enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree 100 percent Holland, The SW Satin is like a chalkboard finish. I know someone who did their cabinets with SW Emerald, he regrets every minute of it. Says, he is having those redone in the fall. I used some for trim work, won't buy anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I agree 100 percent Holland, The SW Satin is like a chalkboard finish. I know someone who did their cabinets with SW Emerald, he regrets every minute of it. Says, he is having those redone in the fall. I used some for trim work, won't buy anymore.
They're really pushing it hard at SW, and I can't get an answer as to exactly why. They say it's more "durable", but I have my doubts.

I have an image in my mind of what the scientist in charge of sheens looks like in the SW R&D department, and he resembles Mr. Magoo. Is that wrong to say?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
They're really pushing it hard at SW, and I can't get an answer as to exactly why. They say it's more "durable", but I have my doubts.

I have an image in my mind of what the scientist in charge of sheens looks like in the SW R&D department, and he resembles Mr. Magoo. Is that wrong to say?
Just going off my sniff test I would bet its because SW makes a pretty penny off it

·
Administrator
20,033 Posts

Well, not sure about Mr. Magoo - that seems a bit harsh. But there is this image of him walking to work - taken from SW's corporate page.

Reactions: Holland

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will use SW products (Duration is good for walls) but one of my beefs about their stuff are their wacky selection of sheens. Seems like you have to reassess what you need whenever you change products within their lines. And don’t even get me started on the “white bases” that aren’t white enough.
Exactly!!! Just went through a big argument with my S-W rep over that!!! How can satin in one product equal semi gloss In another??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts