Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too bad the before pics aren't scratch-n-sniff. The pet odor was brutal. These floors were in bad shape, and I'm pretty sure they'll be the last ones I ever do.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I'm impressed! The oak in out house was the same, if not worse. Replaced quite a bit due to damage, pet staining, and to fill in a 3'x3' floor vent. I had a pro sand and finish it. He did a great job sanding but his finish work sucked.

With numerous big dogs over the years, we get about 5 years out of the finish. Was going to do it last year but too busy. This year it is....

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Are you sure it was dog urine and not Behr? Urine that is. behr urine.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm impressed! The oak in out house was the same, if not worse. Replaced quite a bit due to damage, pet staining, and to fill in a 3'x3' floor vent. I had a pro sand and finish it. He did a great job sanding but his finish work sucked.

With numerous big dogs over the years, we get about 5 years out of the finish. Was going to do it last year but too busy. This year it is....
What product are you planning on using? Just FYI, Bona Traffic is pretty tough stuff, and easy to apply.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great! Sorry they were crushed with pheromones :) what's the procedure? I may do my dining room....
Cut with 24 using an EZ8, edge with 24, then with 36, then water pop, then cut with 60, brighten, fill, cut with 80, then 100, then sanding sealer, then 120, then 3-4 coats, switching to a buffer with maroon pad to sand between coats as needed. Oh, and vacuuming about 7 quadrillion times.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Those pictures are a perfect example of how just about any solid hardwood floor, with proper prep and finishing, can be brought back to a beautiful finish. Great job.

I am guessing that you used a water borne finish?

Reactions: stelzerpaintinginc.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Those pictures are a perfect example of how just about any solid hardwood floor, with proper prep and finishing, can be brought back to a beautiful finish. Great job.

I am guessing that you used a water borne finish?
Thanks. This one had some real whoppers. Huge burns by wood stove, random holes, splintering wood, the works. We actually hand-scraped between each board to try to even it out some. Scraping oak by hand isn't as fun as it sounds.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Thanks. This one had some real whoppers. Huge burns by wood stove, random holes, splintering wood, the works. We actually hand-scraped between each board to try to even it out some. Scraping oak by hand isn't as fun as it sounds.
wow! That was an abused floor! Was it originally finished with shellac? That's what it looks like to me.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say you sold a refinish, but provided a full restoration. Was it not lucrative?
It's a lot like refinishing decks that need acrylic stains stripped from them. You just can't charge enough to make them as profitable as the rest of our work. Yes, you can still make money, but it's a tougher grind and slimmer margins.

·
Administrator
21,632 Posts
Outstanding job Troy.

Never done a floor myself and likely never will. Hell, I don't even do wallpaper removal or drywall repairs/texturing anymore unless it's a fairly small amount.

Reactions: stelzerpaintinginc.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Outstanding job Troy.

Never done a floor myself and likely never will. Hell, I don't even do wallpaper removal or drywall repairs/texturing anymore unless it's a fairly small amount.
Thanks Dan, and if it makes you feel any better, I don't even know how to install wallpaper. There. I said it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cut with 24 using an EZ8, edge with 24, then with 36, then water pop, then cut with 60, brighten, fill, cut with 80, then 100, then sanding sealer, then 120, then 3-4 coats, switching to a buffer with maroon pad to sand between coats as needed. Oh, and vacuuming about 7 quadrillion times.

Way over my pay grade. Great work on the floors.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
What product are you planning on using? Just FYI, Bona Traffic is pretty tough stuff, and easy to apply.
I've been using the Varathane Diamond WB finish. Easy to apply, levels out, and lasts. The dogs are pretty tough on it. The other floors I've used it on with people who don't own dogs have lasted quite a while and still look great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts