Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I got a new project to paint someone's house. The doors and trim were previously painted in an oil based paint. Usually I would sand, clean with TSP and then paint with my latex paint. However, in this job there's a ton a trim and doors and I would be spending a couple days just doing the prep.

Does anyone know of a primer (non oil based) that might save some time? A painter friend of mine recommended problem solving primer but I've never tried it before.

Any thought?
Many thanks in advance
-Coop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply and tip on Kilz Max ReNt A PaInTeR.
Would you still sand and clean the trim/doors first? Or would a coat of the primer be enough before I painted?
Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,212 Posts
Would you still sand and clean the trim/doors first? Or would a coat of the primer be enough before I painted?
Thanks again!
Nothing replaces the importance of sanding if you're transitioning from oil to latex. You could go a little lighter on the sanding as long as you've knocked the gloss off, and clean with Krud Cutter or liquid sanding de-glosser. Anything else is a gamble in regards to longevity IMO.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
There are so many paints now that are water soluble that u can go right onto the oil with dedicating a primer coat is a waste.
Pro industrial. Go right on it. Light sand it if u want to. But. It's gonna grab and it's not coming off. I promise.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Hi everyone,

I got a new project to paint someone's house. The doors and trim were previously painted in an oil based paint. Usually I would sand, clean with TSP and then paint with my latex paint. However, in this job there's a ton a trim and doors and I would be spending a couple days just doing the prep.

Does anyone know of a primer (non oil based) that might save some time? A painter friend of mine recommended problem solving primer but I've never tried it before.

Any thought?
Many thanks in advance
-Coop
Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but the cost of prepping and cleaning should be figured into the job. Trying to shortcut around proper prep leads to some sad results, whether you're using a primer or not.

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
There are so many paints now that are water soluble that u can go right onto the oil with dedicating a primer coat is a waste.
Pro industrial. Go right on it. Light sand it if u want to. But. It's gonna grab and it's not coming off. I promise.
I can tell you first hand that's not true. Did a job in January liquid de-glossed and used Pro-Industrial. Guess who's going back to scrape and sand it all off. This guy, never again shoulda known better. :vs_cry:

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
Rbriggs82 said:
I can tell you first hand that's not true. Did a job in January liquid de-glossed and used Pro-Industrial. Guess who's going back to scrape and sand it all off. This guy, never again shoulda known better. :vs_cry:
I find it hard to beleive, we use it all of the time now, right now actually.
It's kinda a issue for us over the years. The oil change thing. Virtually all of the trim we deal with. Repaint wize, was done in oil, not some of it. All of it, commercial it was all anybody used. The switchover was a mess,
The pro industrial I just know it grabs.
Now. We don't I have never actually used a deglosser. I dunno. Maybe there is the jamb up? Truthfully. Prep is most often a light sand with a duster.
And hey. I don't 'really care' I just hate to see the fellas killing themselves over nothing. Wasting a whole coat? Pretty big
The oil to water based thing hasn't been a issue for years now
I'd look at the deglosser I really would. You don't need it, therefore? It can only hurt you.
Light sand. Dust and paint,

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
image-2038485128.jpg

I wisht come clean up time. It didn't stick so good. Haha
My hands I gotta scrub em raw to get most of it off
Serious

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
I find it hard to beleive, we use it all of the time now, right now actually.
It's kinda a issue for us over the years. The oil change thing. Virtually all of the trim we deal with. Repaint wize, was done in oil, not some of it. All of it, commercial it was all anybody used. The switchover was a mess,
The pro industrial I just know it grabs.
Now. We don't I have never actually used a deglosser. I dunno. Maybe there is the jamb up? Truthfully. Prep is most often a light sand with a duster.
And hey. I don't 'really care' I just hate to see the fellas killing themselves over nothing. Wasting a whole coat? Pretty big
The oil to water based thing hasn't been a issue for years now
I'd look at the deglosser I really would. You don't need it, therefore? It can only hurt you.
Light sand. Dust and paint,
Yeah who knows it could have been something in the deglosser that didn't play nice idk.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,979 Posts
I don't think so. Think about it. Why is there still a market for UMA, Stix, Zinsser 123 ,etc. if these acrylic finish paints bond so well to a existing alkyd finish?
Believe me I'm not gonna make the same mistake twice. :no:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Anyone ever try Multipurpose from sherwin? Just curious. We used it to go over some existing oil finish and it worked well, but small amounts here and there, don't know if that tells a true story.

Stuff is good for even pvc...so maybe?

I agree XIM makes good stuff, period.

·
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
4,508 Posts
Thanks again!
You never skip the prep. That's the key to a long lasting job. ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts