Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a pro do a new sign for my business . The one I have now is over 20 years old and needs to be retired . Here is the 1st idea the sign guy sent me so far . I'd love to hear constructive critisism from the masses :)

·
Shazaam!
859 Posts
Looks like a large business card, too busy.
I would have the name-logo
Phone number and website.
People have no time to read your story

Your colours are bright, should work good.

I agree, I've had great roi from my signs. I'm not sure if people remember websites easier than phone numbers or what, but a lot of my online estimate requests come from having my website printed almost as big as my phone number.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
In my early days of hyper aggressive marketing I got a call from an HOA president. He played like a customer and I called him back. When I got a hold of him he said, "Are you running for president?"

Huh?

"I counted 21 yard signs in our community. Maybe you could tone it down a bit?"

Yard signs are great marketing. Service provided, phone number, logo and an easy to remember URL. If your URL is jimbobbillyjackspaintingandpressurewashing.com you may be better to buy KYpainters.com and redirect it to your site then use that on your signs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm having a pro do a new sign for my business . The one I have now is over 20 years old and needs to be retired . Here is the 1st idea the sign guy sent me so far . I'd love to hear constructive critisism from the masses :)

Overall the sign looks fine, like the other guys said though I think less is more and would take out three lines (quality & svc( (quality craftsmanship) & (for more info), then emphasize your web site with the extra space. Lawn signs work great for me, also I put my web site on rear bumper & get a lot of calls from that. Also just picked up 2 free signs from Sherwin Wms with my name in big bold letters & not theirs.

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good advice all around guys ! :thumbsup: I think I may pull the tag lines from the middle ( Quality / service , etc ) Also that text all the way at the bottom ( for more info) so I can make the phone number and web site more prominent .

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Gotta agree with all said. Think of who the signs are targeting, people driving by. They have how many seconds to get the message? That message needs to be FAST. Use only what is most important. Who you are, what you do, how to contact you.

It's a good looking sign, just TMI

I took the liberty to edit :

Font Text Photo caption Logo Signage

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotta agree with all said. Think of who the signs are targeting, people driving by. They have how many seconds to get the message? That message needs to be FAST. Use only what is most important. Who you are, what you do, how to contact you.

It's a good looking sign, just TMI

I took the liberty to edit :

View attachment 6544

The edit version looks great :thumbup: ! I don't think it could hurt to have the free estimate and fully insured on the sign though . What do you think ?

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
agree with all the others. edited version is much better:thumbsup:
I like the one arch did.
I think the edited version is way gooder. Easy to read, nice coloring, and simple.
The edit version looks great :thumbup: ! I don't think it could hurt to have the free estimate and fully insured on the sign though . What do you think ?

As I and many others said . The one arch did was better so I combined most of the elements of it and the some of what the sign designer did . Here is the version I will be having made up . I thank you guys for all your input :thumbup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Bobbo,

Seriously, keep the words to a bare minimum. I know when we do these things it is tough not to add all sorts of stuff we think is important. But that is our ego thinking and is not good advertising. We can't see the forest through the trees.

Outside advertising is geared to passers bys and need to give what is necessary and quick.

Look at political yard signs.

Here a little snipet from from this website:

http://www.work.com/yard-signs-that-acctually-work-2227/

"Third, keep the amount of words you use to a minimum. A good general rule is no more than 10 words. This does not mean that if you have a larger space, you can now include more words. It’s not a matter of the size of the letters on the yard sign, or the size of the sign itself. It’s the amount of words the human eye can take in within the tenth of a second that they take to look at them. You can test yourself to see if your sign is saying too much by printing out a copy of the sign and flashing the sign for 1 second or less to someone who is unfamiliar with what you’re doing. Then ask them, "What was this sign about? What is the message that you remember from glancing at this sign?" If it turns out that they were unable to grasp the main idea, think about how you may rework your design to get across your main point. This may mean making your message more general or whittling down your idea to be more memorable. "

But don't take just my word.

Look at others and see what you can read as you drive by.

Ask experts.

·
Master Painter
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I realize that sometimes people will be whizzing by my sign at 60 mph so the majority of the info and the most important things are large and visible , But a great deal of the time it will be set up on slow paced fairly quiet residential streets where car traffic is much slower and where there is lots of foot traffic to see the sign . Most of the calls I've gotten from my previous sign came from close neighbors of those I was working for and that sign had the bare minimum in very large print .

My old sign ...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts