Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

I have

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
I have not done the firm certification yet. Since MI will start self regulating this fall, it was hinted at that it may be smart to wait for the state to take over and register then to avoid wasting $300 for a few months of certification.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Do you guys think that this would be a worthwhile endeavor? I have only had 1 call in three years asking about lead paint removal. I don't advertise for it, so I can't use that number as a strong indicator.

Does anyone do a lot of lead remediation work?
This isn't about optional certification for lead abatement/etc.

This is about a mandatory gvnt rule that goes into effect on Apr 22, 2010 about having to be certified if you paint any pre 1978 homes or else face some pretty stiff consequences.

Read up the links RC posted.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Y is correct. This has nothing to do with being able to offer new services, rather being able to do what your typical painter has always done on pre-1978 homes. It would be illegal for you to even paint a pre-78 home without being certified, even if you do not disturb the paint.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was certified back in November.
Filed for firm certification a few weeks back.
Got a few guys going to training end of this month.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This isn't about optional certification for lead abatement/etc.

This is about a mandatory gvnt rule that goes into effect on Apr 22, 2010 about having to be certified if you paint any pre 1978 homes or else face some pretty stiff consequences.

Read up the links RC posted.
I can't stress this enough! Any pre 1978 home all work disturbing more than 6 square feet per room or 20 square feet per exterior side (electrical, plumbing, paint, hvac) must be done by a certified firm with a certified renovator on site to document. The fines are reported to be 32,000 per day, per violation.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have a question...I haven't done the course yet, so maybe they cover this.

Is there a place to order in bulk the brochures we're supposed to present to HOs? Or are we expected to print these 20page things ourselves? I looked on the EPA site but didn't see any options to order, maybe I missed it?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to print them! You can order one from the site, here is a thread on it

I am thinking you can present the brochure to the customer, go through it or leave with them, and then have them sign off.

Or have a batch printed up.:(

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
You have to print them! You can order one from the site, here is a thread on it

I am thinking you can present the brochure to the customer, go through it or leave with them, and then have them sign off.

Or have a batch printed up.:(

From the link you posted, which one of the 50 or so do we NEED to give the HO. I have not yet taken the course but have signed up. I am assuming that info will come from them but just thought I would get a jump start on gathering info.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a link to the PDF you need to provide to HO, there is a place for them to sign on the last page.

I think I may have posted this, but Sean at SLS Construction has posted some very good information on his blog here.

Don't forget to send in your Firm Certification Application, it can take up to three months to process and you do not need to have the training for that.
More info here.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is a link to the PDF you need to provide to HO, there is a place for them to sign on the last page.

I think I may have posted this, but Sean at SLS Construction has posted some very good information on his blog here.

Don't forget to send in your Firm Certification Application, it can take up to three months to process and you do not need to have the training for that.
More info here.
What is the fee for application and when is it due?
Thanks
Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
I believe there is a refresher course every 5 years. And of course with that will be license renewal fees I am sure.

·
6,326 Posts
I believe there is a refresher course every 5 years. And of course with that will be license renewal fees I am sure.
Here we are required to have a contractors license for each countyand you must have 16 hours of continuing education every 2 years in some counties. Will the lead program be a part of maintaining your contractors license?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts