Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone is well!! I have a project that will require Lead Paint Remediation. I'm curious on the Percentage Increase in pricing one should expect to see when comparing identical project scope of works. One having Non-Lead Paint and one with Lead Paint. Is it a 50% increase from normal roject cost, 100%, 200%, etc. I'm would appreciate any feedback you can provide from either your own Business Practice Pricing or maybe something you have run across and seen?! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,002 Posts
60-70% more for exteriors. Add 15-30% on top of that if vertical containment is required. Add 25% more for heavily congested areas. Throw another 25% on top of that because they suck and take forever and all the countless little tasks seem to add up way more than I ever account for, no matter how much I try to budget.

Approx. 50% more for interiors, although could increase as much as 30%, depending upon the logistics.

Every year I tell myself I'm never gonna do another one cuz it's a complete time suck.
Every year I end up doing a few, (at least).
Glutton for punishment I guess.

Last summer I did one on a busy street in NE Portland. Total bid was over 37k and I still didn't do well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that percentage pricing increase something you practice or something that you have run across in the industry? Thanks in advance. All good info

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just lost my ass on a 900sq/ft lead paint exterior (tested hot on all surfaces). It was peeling about 20-30% on two sides and peeling in targeted areas on the remaining sides and porch. Single story with two 12’ gable ends with easy access. Also had about 80 linear feet of peeling (non-lead) fence to prep and paint.

We did ground cover with white 6mil and vertical containment where ground cover wasn’t possible. Covered all plants with 6mil as well. Used our HEPA vac liberally, contained all peels, and did not sand anything. We had the customer wash his own house a few weeks ago. I charged $5,400 including the pain in the butt fence and after materials ($1,140) came out of it at $31 per man hour.

Lessons learned: if you try to follow the law perfectly as we did on this one you can never charge enough. If you cheat the and put on a good show you can make it work. Every year we try to do one perfectly right (wet wipe all plastic before rolling up, pack all waste into 6mil trash bags and vacuum seal, etc..) and it kicks our ass. Who would pay $9,000 to have a 900 Sq/ft house scraped, primed, and painted? This wasn’t a full strip. We don’t even look at those. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I just lost my ass on a 900sq/ft lead paint exterior (tested hot on all surfaces). It was peeling about 20-30% on two sides and peeling in targeted areas on the remaining sides and porch. Single story with two 12’ gable ends with easy access. Also had about 80 linear feet of peeling (non-lead) fence to prep and paint.

We did ground cover with white 6mil and vertical containment where ground cover wasn’t possible. Covered all plants with 6mil as well. Used our HEPA vac liberally, contained all peels, and did not sand anything. We had the customer wash his own house a few weeks ago. I charged $5,400 including the pain in the butt fence and after materials ($1,140) came out of it at $31 per man hour.

Lessons learned: if you try to follow the law perfectly as we did on this one you can never charge enough. If you cheat the and put on a good show you can make it work. Every year we try to do one perfectly right (wet wipe all plastic before rolling up, pack all waste into 6mil trash bags and vacuum seal, etc..) and it kicks our ass. Who would pay $9,000 to have a 900 Sq/ft house scraped, primed, and painted? This wasn’t a full strip. We don’t even look at those. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if you put the fear of lead in to the customer, they will feel like they have to..I definitely would have charged 9,000 for that job. Your health (and your families) is on the line too, as well as your ass, if someone gets lead sick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wait, isn't this heavily dependent on your home state DOH's requirements for lead work? I'm really only familiar with such work in federal (military) settings, but the depth of knowledge required to do that work without committing SOME kind of violation explains why there are so many specialty remediation/abatement companies out there bidding on those projects. Even in the Fed jobs, though, I think our State DOH's rules govern as long as they meet or exceed OSHA requirements.
In a residential setting, I'd be at least a bit concerned about someone blowing the whistle on me via an anonymous complaint about a real or perceived violation, so...price accordingly, and/or get sub quotes for the remediation as backups?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Lead damages many organs, and the damage to the developing brain can be lifelong. The pandemic ruined many plans. One of them is lead removal. But still, there are some changes in this regard – a new law has been passed for builders and repairmen in New York, the EPA requires the RRP Lead Renovator Initial Course is mandatory and must be passed by the end of the year. It contains a hands-on training component, therefore the majority of the class may be done online (6 Hours) but participants will still be required to attend a small portion to participate in the hands-on activities (2 Hours)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts