Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time doing a level 5 wall and want to maintain that smooth finish in the finished product. No stipple/minimum stipple. Anybody done this before - what kind of primer? PVA? High build?

Should I shoot, backroll and sand primer coat? Will use a graco 210 es.

Usually use Purdy white dove rollers 3/8". Should go 1/4" or mohair roller?

ANy input is appreciated.

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Is it actually a level 5 finish or are you just trying to achieve a VERY smooth finish?

White doves are great but Wooster makes a new cover that lays a very smooth finish. I don't remember the name but it comes in weird sized like 5/16 and 7or 9 /16. It lays the smoothest finish I've ever seen but be prepared to dip ALOT!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a real level 5 drywall finish - tape 2x, skim whole wall, spray prep coat, skim again, detail corners, etc. The entire wall surface is covered with a sanded skim coat of compound and is completely smooth. light checks with 500w 12" from face and from both directions for imperfections.

so basically, how do i not f*#% up this finish and keep it all baby butt smooth?

·
Painting Contractor
4,066 Posts
I rarely see true new level 5, being mainly repaint. I was talking to a buddy of mine who does, and he says his guys put on the paint with a 3/4 nap and then a 2nd guy immediately lays it off with a 3/8" nap. This way they get the production of a 3/4" but a finish of 3/8" which should be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
bowmanprop said:
a real level 5 drywall finish - tape 2x, skim whole wall, spray prep coat, skim again, detail corners, etc. The entire wall surface is covered with a sanded skim coat of compound and is completely smooth. light checks with 500w 12" from face and from both directions for imperfections.

so basically, how do i not f*#% up this finish and keep it all baby butt smooth?
A tight napped roller cover, a good brush and your paint selection are what's going to make or break you. And experience at producing a professional paint job helps. If your new to painting or just starting out, I'd paint one wall complete and show it to the owner first.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,209 Posts
I rarely see true new level 5, being mainly repaint. I was talking to a buddy of mine who does, and he says his guys put on the paint with a 3/4 nap and then a 2nd guy immediately lays it off with a 3/8" nap. This way they get the production of a 3/4" but a finish of 3/8" which should be fine. Good luck.
That's a great idea Damon! I bet JP never thought of that.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
I can't see this working unless everybody is totally on point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
def. not new to painting, but have never really been worried about having little to zero stipple.

was planning to spray and backroll with 3/8" (maybe 1/4") - what do you think? the rolling with 3/4" and then 3/8" is a great idea but any misses are going to be a disaster...

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
def. not new to painting, but have never really been worried about having little to zero stipple.

was planning to spray and backroll with 3/8" (maybe 1/4") - what do you think? the rolling with 3/4" and then 3/8" is a great idea but any misses are going to be a disaster...
If your rolling, there's going to be stipple. I just don't see any way out of it. I'd try a good microfiber 3/8th nap sleeve and give the customer a benchmark wall and get approval before proceeding.

One question though. Who's priming the drywall? If its not going to be you, you might have bigger problems in your way of getting a smooth finish.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
If your rolling, there's going to be stipple. I just don't see any way out of it. I'd try a good microfiber 3/8th nap sleeve and give the customer a benchmark wall and get approval before proceeding.

One question though. Who's priming the drywall? If its not going to be you, you might have bigger problems in your way of getting a smooth finish.
Agree a microfiber 3/8 will leave a mirror like finish if applied right.I just got through with skimming a level 5 finish in a home and it looked like a house of mirrors using the microfiber.

·
Grants Painting
224 Posts
Not sure of the process in a level 5 but when I want to smooth out a wall I use Valspar High build primer, lay it on real thick and pole sand the crap out of it. A PVA would add the least stipple to wall and seal it up. Good Luck

·
17,818 Posts
Level 5 is often misunderstood. If you are spraying I would spray using a pva and back roll with a 1/2 18" cover. I would then spray the topcoat and back roll in the opposite direction with the same 18" 1/2.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts