Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Aaron Sutter and I have been painting for a few years now for other businesses and for my self. I have gotten my DBA license and would really appreciate some advice and knowledge from experienced and professionally licensed paiters about becoming licensed and insured in the state of Michigan as I want to do things right and own and operate a professional business myself. Any information regarding what license I need and what the requirements are, and the prices, would be most appreciated. My business name is Premier Paint Coatings & Home Improvements and I will be doing Residential/Commercial, interior/Exterior painting and home improvements such as power washing, deck refinishing and staining, floors, trim work, drywall hanging and finishing, wall paper removal, basement sealing and painting, light carpentry, light masonry, window washing. Thank in advance to all who are willing to help an experienced painter who is looking to take the leap from handy man to professionally licensed owner of his own painting and home improvement business.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Hello everyone my name is Aaron Sutter and I have been painting for a few years now for other businesses and for my self. I have gotten my DBA license and would really appreciate some advice and knowledge from experienced and professionally licensed paiters about becoming licensed and insured in the state of Michigan as I want to do things right and own and operate a professional business myself. Any information regarding what license I need and what the requirements are, and the prices, would be most appreciated. My business name is Premier Paint Coatings & Home Improvements and I will be doing Residential/Commercial, interior/Exterior painting and home improvements such as power washing, deck refinishing and staining, floors, trim work, drywall hanging and finishing, wall paper removal, basement sealing and painting, light carpentry, light masonry, window washing. Thank in advance to all who are willing to help an experienced painter who is looking to take the leap from handy man to professionally licensed owner of his own painting and home improvement business.
Aaron

The best of luck to you. Michigan seems to have a number of requirements, including a fair bid of classwork. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_61343_35414_60647_35455-193789--,00.html

They have individual exams for painting and decorating, carpentry, basement waterproofing, masonry, and tile & marble.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gough said:
Aaron

The best of luck to you. Michigan seems to have a number of requirements, including a fair bid of classwork. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/vocs/vocproj/2voc_exempt_list.pdf

They have individual exams for painting and decorating, carpentry, basement waterproofing, masonry, and tile & marble.
That's a Canadian website.... I dont think that applies to him.... Notice how it ends with (.ca) and not (.com)...... .ca means Canada.

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
That's a Canadian website.... I dont think that applies to him.... Notice how it ends with (.ca) and not (.com)...... .ca means Canada.
Thanks. Actually, it's a California government website, (ca.gov). I copied and pasted from another page for another thread (on VOCs). I'll go back and edit the earlier post. Serves me right for doing on PT in the wee hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the link to my answear and yes it looks like I really do have my work cut out for me lol...better get started now as this is looking like it could be a long process.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have to complete a 60 hour course before your test. Go to the michigan one-stop website to register and it will guide you to several ways to get your 60 hours in. I did it by online courses at my leisure. The license you need is called Maintenance and Alteration License with painting as your specialty.

Here is the website: http://www.michigan.gov/business

1 - 6 of 6 Posts