Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been using SW since early 2000's. Most of my work is residential repaints. SW products are excellent, at least in my experience with Loxon conditioner, Super Paint, Resilience and Duration.

My frustration started during the building boom. Prices went through the roof and supply of high end products was limited. The supply limitations have left me looking unprofessional in front of customers. And the price increases seem very unreasonable. Furthermore their 40% off public sale makes me feel ripped off! Why does the public get a better discount than my volume discount?

Currently I'm looking towards the Ben Moore and Valspar line up as they appear to be competitive in price and quality. Actually both brands are priced less and readily available.

Having been a loyal SW customer this change is frustrating. Does anyone have experience in using the other brands? And are they equal in quality as promoted?

Thanks,
Paintinglife
Looking for alternative to SW

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Dulux (owned by PPG). They have there commercial cheaper product (ultra), good mid grade line (lifemaster) it's washable, and the semi gloss white trends to cover in one cost. There top product is diamond, great if customers want higher Sheens, and you don't want to apply it (eggshell finishes like a semi, etc)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Dulux (owned by PPG). They have there commercial cheaper product (ultra), good mid grade line (lifemaster) it's washable, and the semi gloss white trends to cover in one cost. There top product is diamond, great if customers want higher Sheens, and you don't want to apply it (eggshell finishes like a semi, etc)

Shipping prices are the killer, though. If they 'd just lift that embargo with Cuba....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Shipping prices are the killer, though. If they 'd just lift that embargo with Cuba....
Really? We have a manufacturing plant in an adjoining city to Vancouver (BC, Canada). Some guys on here were saying that I pay way to much, but in Canada we pay more for everything

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Really? We have a manufacturing plant in an adjoining city to Vancouver (BC, Canada). Some guys on here were saying that I pay way to much, but in Canada we pay more for everything

Sorry, the nearest dealer to the original poster is in Cuba. Dulux isn't in the States.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I've been using SW since early 2000's. Most of my work is residential repaints. SW products are excellent, at least in my experience with Loxon conditioner, Super Paint, Resilience and Duration.

My frustration started during the building boom. Prices went through the roof and supply of high end products was limited. The supply limitations have left me looking unprofessional in front of customers. And the price increases seem very unreasonable. Furthermore their 40% off public sale makes me feel ripped off! Why does the public get a better discount than my volume discount?

Currently I'm looking towards the Ben Moore and Valspar line up as they appear to be competitive in price and quality. Actually both brands are priced less and readily available.

Having been a loyal SW customer this change is frustrating. Does anyone have experience in using the other brands? And are they equal in quality as promoted?

Thanks,
Paintinglife
i just have one question and I will be on my way. Why are you competing with DIYers.
Thanks

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Why do you care what the paint cost? Your customer is the one paying for the paint. Use only the best quality products available and you will find that the only customers that you will work for are the ones that only want the highest quality workmanship and products. Customers that are worried about how much a can of paint cost can't afford my labor rates so I do not even bother given them a bid.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I can see how you could be a little miffed about it, but why not just use the sales just like a regular customer? If its a better price than you can get normally take advantage if it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I can see how you could be a little miffed about it, but why not just use the sales just like a regular customer? If its a better price than you can get normally take advantage if it.
Believe it or not, Jmays, but, SW doesn't give the contractor the 40% off price during their "homeowner" sales events. I have purchased paint during the sale thinking, "Wow, 40% off, I'm going to make a killing on materials on this current job." THen I look at the receipt and see my usual contractor pricing which is no where near the 40% off price. If you complain enough they buckle and redo your purchase to reflect the 40% off pricing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bids are all inclusive. This gives the customer piece of mind, that barring any unforeseen issues, my price is the price.

The issue that I have is not with the DIY persons but with SW. As a contractor, value is sold in both products and skill. By SW selling to the DIY person at deep discounts it creates unnecessary issues. Like I (home owner), can save extra money thus undermining a previously consistent bid. Plus it is unfair to prior and future customers.

In my opinion the public pricing should not be greater than contractor pricing ever. Too my knowledge SW is the only paint company that does this. My bids are for all labor and materials as one price. Otherwise be a fly by night hack and charge labor by the hr.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
My bids are all inclusive. This gives the customer piece of mind, that barring any unforeseen issues, my price is the price.

The issue that I have is not with the DIY persons but with SW. As a contractor, value is sold in both products and skill. By SW selling to the DIY person at deep discounts it creates unnecessary issues. Like I (home owner), can save extra money thus undermining a previously consistent bid. Plus it is unfair to prior and future customers.

In my opinion the public pricing should not be greater than contractor pricing ever. Too my knowledge SW is the only paint company that does this. My bids are for all labor and materials as one price. Otherwise be a fly by night hack and charge labor by the hr.
Not trying to be a bone head here, but if your clients are bringing this point up your clientele bar is way low. If a prospect brought this up to me, it would raise a flag and id just blow out the bid and focus on a prospect that is not concerned with the measly 40% on materials. To me its the same as a homeowner saying they'll buy materials. What SW does is their business, their selling on price. I dont sell on price. I sell on a package product with a package price that includes paint.

Would you pass your savings on to the homeowner? Or is this to increase your profit margin?

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Paintinglife

Some of understand the predicament SW's pricing puts on the contractor, and can sympathize with you.

What I hate is the great fluctuation in pricing. How can you bid a job today without knowing what the price will be when you buy paint for it in about a month's time?

And a customer sees your paint allowance but also reads the SW ads and thinks the worse about you.

We understand.

I NEVER thought SW was a quality product, and their pricing was never justified. I bought paint once, maybe twice from SW, but we then relied on BM for exteriors and a plethora of quality paints for interiors.

just keep that paint dripping globe in your rear view mirror. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Paintinglife

Some of understand the predicament SW's pricing puts on the contractor, and can sympathize with you.

What I hate is the great fluctuation in pricing. How can you bid a job today without knowing what the price will be when you buy paint for it in about a month's time?

And a customer sees your paint allowance but also reads the SW ads and thinks the worse about you.

We understand.

I NEVER thought SW was a quality product, and their pricing was never justified. I bought paint once, maybe twice from SW, but we then relied on BM for exteriors and a plethora of quality paints for interiors.

Another perplexing thing about SW is this: I have been told at the SW store I regularly use that I actually get a higher discount than that of contractors who are more established and who purchase significantly greater amounts of paint than I. :eek:

It seems that SW wishes to gain the business of as many painters as possible. To do this, they give high discounts initially and, over time, reduce the percentage of the discount. I was actually told not to tell anyone about this.

I am still purchasing most of my paint from SW, but I am not so loyal as to refuse to use other brands.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts

Thanks,
Paintinglife
I don't use SW, so that is not an issue with me, but to compare BM to Valspar in QUALITY is ludicrous

·
Retired Moderator
10,539 Posts
Paintinglife

We understand.

I think this has come up before, but I 'm curious how many outfits here itemize their bids? We never have and I wonder if it might be a regional thing, like dealing with those chea...er, frugal New Englanders.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

Thanks,
Paintinglife
Painterslife:whistling2:

1 - 20 of 145 Posts