Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
They are used in power plants for HRSG units. The stack is at the end of the unit.
Is the power plant relying on you to make the coating specifications? And if so, what qualifications do you have to do that? It would seem to me that a project like you're describing would require a plant engineer's input. If not in house, certainly a third party consultant.

And if this project will require a period of shut down, you really would want to make certain your coating system is qualified by a competent person that has some acountability, rather then fishing for solutions from anonymous people on the internet.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Call MPDA(Master Painters and Decorators Association) or MPI(Master Painters Inspections)
I agree. Associations like the ones you described including:

-SSPC (Society for Protective Coatings),

-JPCL (Journal for Protective Coatings and Linings)

And maybe it isn't such a bad idea to pose a coating specification question on this forum. However, when I'm trying to match the best coating system for a project, I will always ask for guidence from either a reputable coatings supplier or someone qualified to make those recommendations. Particularly, in a sensitive or unusual situaton.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
We answer questions about law, accounting, psychology, business, health, politics, etiquette and many other topics in which we are less than qualified.

Paint questions must be welcome here.
True. But in regards to our collective knowlege of the subjects you mentioned, we really don't believe anyone's going to actually take us seriously. Do we?:blink:

I'm just really concerned that Iceblast might settle for something like a primer finish from one of the big box stores for his stack project. Did I mention that I'm really concerned?

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
True. But in regards to our collective knowlege of the subjects you mentioned, we really don't believe anyone's going to actually take us seriously. Do we?:blink:

I'm just really concerned that Iceblast might settle for something like a primer finish from one of the big box stores for his stack project. Did I mention that I'm really concerned?
Like anyone would take paint answers seriously here? Like really, make professional life changing decisions about paint based on feedback from an online forum?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the power plant relying on you to make the coating specifications? And if so, what qualifications do you have to do that? It would seem to me that a project like you're describing would require a plant engineer's input. If not in house, certainly a third party consultant.

And if this project will require a period of shut down, you really would want to make certain your coating system is qualified by a competent person that has some acountability, rather then fishing for solutions from anonymous people on the internet.
Listen guys, we have Nace 2 guys that work for us. We do extensive research on all of the products and manufacturers we use when we get to that point. In our line of work, we run into a lot of special situations. It eats up a lot of time to sit on the phone with a bunch of paint sales reps that just want to "sell" you something in their portfolio.

I come to this forum because it's a painter's forum, and collectively, I'm sure that people with experience and knowledge can help us speed up the process to find a proper coating that may work in a situation like this one. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums for the other topics out there.

I appreciate the guys that actually help and give advice. For those that only question why i am asking a question...think about it. That is what this website is "for." If you don't have anything to contribute, I don't think it is that hard to just ignore the post. Thanks for all of you that are willing and able to help. http://www.painttalk.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif :thumbup:

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Listen guys, we have Nace 2 guys that work for us. We do extensive research on all of the products and manufacturers we use when we get to that point. In our line of work, we run into a lot of special situations. It eats up a lot of time to sit on the phone with a bunch of paint sales reps that just want to "sell" you something in their portfolio.

I come to this forum because it's a painter's forum, and collectively, I'm sure that people with experience and knowledge can help us speed up the process to find a proper coating that may work in a situation like this one. I'm sure there are plenty of other forums for the other topics out there.

I appreciate the guys that actually help and give advice. For those that only question why i am asking a question...think about it. That is what this website is "for." If you don't have anything to contribute, I don't think it is that hard to just ignore the post. Thanks for all of you that are willing and able to help. http://www.painttalk.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif :thumbup:
Have your NACE guys looked into any Wasser products?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts