This worked on another forum I'm on.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If new people do not post a intro either:

1) Members do not respond to them, or

2) Ban them after a few post.

This worked on another forum I'm on.
Agreed. Too dificult to ascertain if they are DIY in disguise, hacks or real painters/contractors when they come on here and post stupid questions.

Maybe a requirement to post an intro right after joining (mandatory first post) before being able to post in the other forums.

maybe?

·
17,818 Posts
I never did one ...should I now?:blink:
Neither did I, unless you count the how did you find PT thread. I do find myself steering people in that direction a lot though.
I don't know if it will ever be a requirment but it does make for a smoother entry.

I don't know if a quick intro should be a test that establishes legitamacy, for that I think you just need to keep plugging away at the post with contributions, and even that is not a test of credentials, although you can start to get a feel for them by there posts.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Neither did I, unless you count the how did you find PT thread. I do find myself steering people in that direction a lot though.
I don't know if it will ever be a requirment but it does make for a smoother entry.

I don't know if a quick intro should be a test that establishes legitamacy, for that I think you just need to keep plugging away at the post with contributions, and even that is not a test of credentials, although you can start to get a feel for them by there posts.
I didn't post an intro either until I was about 25 posts in, but I also wasn't asking for any advice I was only offering personal experience on others questions.

People who come on here and ask questions like "what kind of insurance do I need" or "what's the best brush" or "how much should I charge" on their first post are obviously DIY, hack, or n00b, but not all are so obvious.

I think (and it's just my opinon) that a mandatory first post in the intro section would make for a much smoother entry into the forums and would probably make your (mods) job a lot easier in weeding out the people who don't fit the model of this forum.

JMHO.

EDIT - I'd add that it might also help eliminate spammers like BillyB or TI02 from even getting a start in the forums.

·
17,818 Posts
Yes it could make it easier, this place runs on the honor system though and after a few posts in we start to get a feel for people and most of those guys either get exposed or simply fade away.

We get all different types, some join and never post and just use the threads for their own reference guide.

Some are one hit wonders they ask a question and get the answers and then do not even bother to give us an update on how the job went.

Then you got the diy and the hacks that do not belong here but show up none the less.

The problem with trying to set up posting restrictions is that these type of formats require fresh faces. I have been here pretty consistantly for pushing 3 years. That is a long time to be talking about paint and without new guys rolling through the door how long can the same core group of guys talk shop?
So it is a benifit to have an easier entry level even though we have to suffer through Art threads, Pricing questions, Diy, Hacks, spammers. It is all worth it when an inteligent thread gets started and I feel that I have gotten something back.

I know it sounds lame and it's like yah right but if the thread does not peak your interest just ignore it and if you think there is something that is against the posting rules report it.

So many are caught in the registration process and many more are banned before they ever post and members expose themselves in their first post and they are history.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Sean summed it up pretty well.
People who are being deceptive when they register are not going to post an honest intro.
Some people have never used a forum and don't understand the "community and etiquitte".
Some found us because they were googling for an answer. They do not spend the time reading the forum and usually do not stick around beyond the first question.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will pass it on to Nathan.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The problem with trying to set up posting restrictions is that these type of formats require fresh faces. I have been here pretty consistantly for pushing 3 years. That is a long time to be talking about paint and without new guys rolling through the door how long can the same core group of guys talk shop?
Speaking only for myself, I have a LOT of things I would like to be posting if I knew the ideas were only going to be going to other established experienced painters, or persons involved with such a business.

I think what would happen is the nature of the conversations would CHANGE to figuring out new and innovative ways to do things, instead of daily run of the mill topics, to debates over the finer points of different strategies to really figure out which ones were more efficient.

I literally have ideas I would like to discuss in a group format with experienced painters about things I think could be much more efficient than standardized procedures.

I would love to have a dialogue with other painters who were willing to collaborate on a quest to maximize efficiency and give us all an edge, but without letting the backbiters and shin-kickers in on the topic.

I think there would be very interesting and inspiring dialogue that would occur in setting that catered to experienced pros.

So many are caught in the registration process and many more are banned before they ever post and members expose themselves in their first post and they are history.
I would like to say that I think all of you mods are doing an excellent job. And I do appreciate the effort you put in that goes unseen to all of us during the registration process.

My belief is that you would not have to do ANY pre-screening and would save yourselves all of that energy if members were required to post an introduction and brief experience.

If new members knew the guidelines were that they needed to be fulltime professional painters, and that their own words regarding their experience were going to be read by experienced painters I think that would eliminate 99% of the bullsh*tters right there.

But I would like to thank the Mods again, who I feel do an excellent job of overseeing these forums, and do their job well of enforcing the guidelines of these forums, and have always been more than fair and seem to lean on the side of leniency, to my view any way.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
LC, thanks for the support.
You make some excellent points.
The Zone was established for that very reason.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats the # of post before you get in "The Zone". That can be a PM answer if need be.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I agree that an introduction can help a new participant ease into this nut house and it helps us realize if he/she is a legit professional.

But the system we have now seems to be working. Many a first timer will make a post that we have no trouble understanding the person is legit, and life progresses smoothly. And then we have the questionable posts that leaves us wondering what spaceship did this person get off. For those, often enough a regular member will invite the spaceshot to go to the intro section and let us know his/her story. And it seems to be working.

And we all know the spammers won't pay no heed to any rules, etiquette, or other acceptable behavior.

What I can advise is that we all should be cognizant of who the new members are and if you think the person is of questionable motives, KINDLY invite them to make an intro. We do not want to be rude and scare away a potentially valuable member. And if the person does not belong here, we have plenty of time to un-mask and ban the fraud.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Glad I made an intro :D

I figured it was a good idea, then after viewing it, i see this newer post about intro's go figure.

BTW RCon, you're in Kelowna eh? so am I moved back here a year ago, what is your company if you don't mind me asking.

( If there is a better PM than I am missing that would be better suited for that kind of question please enlighten me, i didnd't seem to find it )

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I don't think PM works until you have a certain number of posts.

Yep i'm in Kelowna, business name is RCON Painting. Used to be Arcon Painting Ltd. You working for yourself out here or for someone else?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ATM I am subbing for CertaPro Painters

I worked for a CertaPro franchise in Calgary with good results, and have worked for them here since I moved back a year ago.

I am definitely going to start my own business back up once I am able to, just need a couple things, reliable truck ( had to get rid of my rig in the move ) a better sprayer, and customers :D

How big is RCON painting?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Well its already pretty easy to spot a DIY'er as they will be asking things any helper should learn in the first month. Just ignore the post and let the admins deal with it.

·
Right!
873 Posts
Well its already pretty easy to spot a DIY'er as they will be asking things any helper should learn in the first month. Just ignore the post and let the admins deal with it.
I find this works for me as well. I like to cherry pick through the threads. If I had to read all the ridiculous threads and questions I would not have time to play husband at night.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts