Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your go-to marketing strategy during a recession? Looks like things might go from bad to worse once businesses are allowed to work again in my city.

I need some quick wins early in the process.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How about "we'll fix the crappy DIY paint job you did during quarantine."
For me having a good Google my business listing with photos and such gets a lot of calls.
Back in 2008 or 2009 it was a race to the bottom of prices, I hope we don't go back to that.
Prices have lowered substantially the last 4-6 weeks or so. I've lowered my labor prices 25% and was still only winning 20% of the bids. Painters are hitting rock bottom. I'm guessing that to compete with them I'd have to lower my prices to 50% of my usual rates. F'n ridiculous. It's disgusting how the market can be as evil as can be. Folks in a better position are taking advantage of the situation.

The home builders and the GC's will be the 2nd tier to screw the contractors. They won't let a good disaster go to waste.

·
Registered
722 Posts
What's your go-to marketing strategy during a recession? Looks like things might go from bad to worse once businesses are allowed to work again in my city.

I need some quick wins early in the process.
As the old saying goes:
"Advertise in good times, advertise even more in bad times"

I have been expecting a recession for years, although this is not exactly what I had pictured. I have operated under this presumption, and have taken care of my clientele, careful to honor contracts and not price gouge. I am hoping that some of my clientele will remember this during the bad times, and the steady base will (as always) be my main focus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Several years ago I worked for a national painting franchise, res re-paints. We once surveyed the jobs we had bid but hadn't landed. Six months out a good percentage of them, close to 50% as I recall, still hadn't had their house painted. So, don't assume that a lead you didn't close had the painting done by someone else. Backmarket to them, give 'em a call, send a text, whatever. Including something like, "Gosh, I really want to take on your painting project so let me know what questions you still have." Telling them you want the project can be effective. Finally, to track all your leads and customers I suggest some sort of database. Some of them are free, for the bare bones version, like Insightly. Even if it's just an Excel or Google spreadsheet it's helpful to have one place where you store information. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Prices have lowered substantially the last 4-6 weeks or so. I've lowered my labor prices 25% and was still only winning 20% of the bids. Painters are hitting rock bottom. I'm guessing that to compete with them I'd have to lower my prices to 50% of my usual rates. F'n ridiculous. It's disgusting how the market can be as evil as can be. Folks in a better position are taking advantage of the situation.

The home builders and the GC's will be the 2nd tier to screw the contractors. They won't let a good disaster go to waste.

Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. So, you are saying to compete with people who are lowballing you need to do this as well? No you do not. If you do not have a handle on YOUR numbers then how can you possibly know what you are making on any job? I understand having to lower YOUR salary wage to be competitive on certain bids, but that does not change the fact that YOUR business must make profits on each job to survive. Those who lower their prices without knowing the costs will be gone in no time. I would rather take a job at Walmart making $X then paying people more than the job costs. Business 101, start there, don't sacrifice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Back in 2008 or 2009 everyone seemed to be picking up a brush and beating me on bids. It was awful a couple of years. But they disappeared. The problem is once you start being "cheap" it becomes harder to raise prices back especially on referrals... I am going to try and ride this out, but I have definitely been looking at indeed etc.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In the short term I’d reach out to friends and family. Let people know you’re looking for work or leads.

Personally, I’m hopeful that my GC’s will throw some work my way for a little while. They already have a few projects that are in the early stages. Beyond that who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm interested in how some of you have gone about building relationships with GCs? Any strategies, or was it just organic relationships?

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the start of everything we were killing it on Facebook and Google ads but it seems they have since caught on and prices have skyrocketed the last few months. Lead services have been the best ROI for us more recently aside from referrals. Thumbtack, Home Advisor, Angie's List, Porch and Smart Remodel. Our Google My Business listing gets some traffic as well but nowhere near the volume we get from lead gen platforms. We also invested a pretty penny into our listing for SEO back in the day so might not be the fastest route if you need leads now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts