Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looking good.

You plan on burnishing? Curious how you plan to go about it, if you do.
That’s where the madness comes in.
They want these walls glazed. I’ve never done that on plaster, but I know it’s going to suck right into the walls. I am going to sort of burnish as I’m skip troweling, like pass over each area three or four times with medium/light pressure with the trowel at 45* or so.
On the sample I burnished afterward and it had some effect. But, she wants the flat areas to be sometimes glazed and sometimes not, so that’s tough to do. The site sample I did directly on the wall was burnished too much and wouldn’t take the glaze. I’m probably going to have to sand that part off.

I will probably burnish again after the glaze. I’ll post pics next week, we’re not allowed on site for a few days because the floor guys are in.

Edit- typically as far as I know, you start to burnish when things are about 75% dry, not fun. It should be dry enough to not be damaged by the trowel, but still wet enough to allow for some beautiful marks to shine through.

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Oh my- you have help burnishing?? I can’t imagine going back, burnishing while the windows still open, & moving on for that whole big space. Looks absolutely beautiful tho (as always)- & just think how toned your arms will be when done ;p

Could you possibly use a wax resist in some areas to avoid the glaze over tinting your plaster?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, yeah I have help on this one. My logic here, and I hope it works, is to half heartedly burnish as I go along so the glaze will be absorbed here and there. I can still burnish again when dry, it’s just not going to do so much, but they don’t want it super shiny, they want it ‘authentic’. Yeah....
We did the largest wall Wednesday, which isn’t pictured here. When I ran my hand over it, parts seemed smoother than other areas. I’m assuming I’ve left enough of it ‘open’ to take the glaze. Hopefully this will work.
Putting glaze on the samples was awful because the whole think just looks wet, so I can’t really tell what it looks like until it dries.
I had a dream just before I woke up this morning that it all looked like dried spaghetti stuck to the wall and I was scraping it off with a 1” putty knife!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah sounds like your going to have a fun time....timing it.

I wonder why they wanted to go with a venetian/marmorino finish? I would have tried to do a regular lime plaster or even sell a skip trowel sheetrock mud with glaze on top.

I dunno. Every time I think venetian I think it should be polished and look like marble. Hence the whole point of the concept originally lol. But...to each their own I suppose.

I'm sure it'll look great when it's done!! For sure post pictures. :)

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
I had a dream just before I woke up this morning that it all looked like dried spaghetti stuck to the wall and I was scraping it off with a 1” putty knife!

Hahahaha oh man, the haunted dreams that come when a project is high stress & hope ;)

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I absorbed some toxic vibe from the ‘walk off the job’ thread, I took an unscheduled break from this job until someone acknowledged my invoice.

It’s going okay, worked today, will work tomorrow. The glaze procedure is: wet wall with sponge, scrub in glaze to crevices with chip brush, sort of run the brush over the flat areas, use second sponge to blot and scrub out edges, go to next section, then remember to go back and burnish previous section.
It looked horrifying at first. Drips all the way down the wall, brush marks, swirls. It took a while as it dried, to start looking okay. I hope it still looks okay in the morning.

Attachments

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Oh no!! How long did they take till u were able yo get back to work? That thread has been haunting me too...I’ve got red flags up after reading some of the stories :-/

Look absolutely fabulous! I’ve sprayed rubbing alcohol on plaster to create a flash dry drip finish similar to what your trying to avoid...some dripping can bring a certain charm :) How those arms doin? *too bad it isn’t almost summer season so u could show those guns off afterwards hehe

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I could swear i smoked some marmorino madness in norcal one weekend.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder why they wanted to go with a venetian/marmorino finish? I would have tried to do a regular lime plaster or even sell a skip trowel sheetrock mud with glaze on top.

yes, I tried to steer them that direction. But now she can tell all of her friends it’s real.

I dunno. Every time I think venetian I think it should be polished and look like marble. :)
Me too!

Oh no!! How long did they take till u were able yo get back to work? She cost me three days. It wasn’t just the money ;I also needed her approval for the glaze, even though I already had an approved sample. She scared me with her ever changing idea of our communications. That thread has been haunting me too...I’ve got red flags up after reading some of the stories :-/

Look absolutely fabulous! I’ve sprayed rubbing alcohol on plaster to create a flash dry drip finish similar to what your trying to avoid...some dripping can bring a certain charm :) Thats hilarious. The designer here also tried to convince me the drips were charming and to stop worrying over them. But, the client expressed her displeasure about them this morning. That wall has been finished for four days. How those arms doin? *too bad it isn’t almost summer season so u could show those guns off afterwards hehe
Yeah...nobody wants to see that, I’m a fat old lady.

I could swear i smoked some marmorino madness in norcal one weekend.
That was YOU I smoked that with????!!!!

Not quite finished, but here’s two scary photos:
Property Room Architecture Building Ceiling

Floor Flooring Sport venue Concrete Composite material

Same wall, one before glaze, one during. And, one horizontal and one vertical.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Love you too! Things are happening mid January! Yeah, you mean impeachment, right?:plain:Sorry I didn't contact you. Its okay. :smile:I was locked out. Yeah, that was a trend there for a bit. :glasses:I've missed you and Slinger.Yup, but....Hey, fun fact- did you know we’re not allowed to utter the name of a banned member? Me either!!!! :sad:
So next time you go getting into trouble, give me your email first! And for what it’s worth, I’ve felt slightly stupider since your time in the barrel. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Looks awesome! But I still don't see a difference between skip troweled wall with taping mud and glazing it versus a marmorino finish.

Unless there's a texture difference (wall hardness) and bragging rights I suppose.

Doing awesome work as always. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.