Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New here to the forum so hello to everyone. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to offer! :smile:

Back to the point however, I am looking to powder coat some alloys (something I haven't done before) and was wondering on the best way to mask them? I've seen a few different techniques including bags but surely these will get in the way whilst coating?

Has anyone had anything similar and come up with a way around this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hi,

New here to the forum so hello to everyone. Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to offer! :smile:

Back to the point however, I am looking to powder coat some alloys (something I haven't done before) and was wondering on the best way to mask them? I've seen a few different techniques including bags but surely these will get in the way whilst coating?

Has anyone had anything similar and come up with a way around this?

Thanks.
Blue masking tape and green masking paper won't work? put plastic tight around if needed and then tape and paper the fronts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue masking tape and green masking paper won't work? put plastic tight around if needed and then tape and paper the fronts?
I shall try it, but wouldn't this take a while to do for each alloy? Just thinking in terms of efficiency.

I was starting to look at doing a lot of alloys but if I can't find something made for it then I may have to give them a miss!

A google search bought up this page which has some discs that are apparently just stick on, but has anyone else had experience with something like this? http://www.vital-parts.co.uk/alloy-masking-493-c.asp

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I shall try it, but wouldn't this take a while to do for each alloy? Just thinking in terms of efficiency.

I was starting to look at doing a lot of alloys but if I can't find something made for it then I may have to give them a miss!

A google search bought up this page which has some discs that are apparently just stick on, but has anyone else had experience with something like this? http://www.vital-parts.co.uk/alloy-masking-493-c.asp

Thanks.
I see. looks like you're on the right track instead of plastic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks.
I couldn't follow that link you posted, but what, exactly, are you coating? Is it a lot of smaller parts? Car parts?

And are you masking complex designs or logos into them, or just protecting certain parts from overspray?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't follow that link you posted, but what, exactly, are you coating? Is it a lot of smaller parts? Car parts?

And are you masking complex designs or logos into them, or just protecting certain parts from overspray?
I see, thats odd because its working for me?

I am coating a full alloy rim, however yes there are a few smaller car parts that I am looking at also. Protecting certain parts from overspray mostly, however we are looking at masking logo's into the parts over time (I hadn't really thought about that :vs_shocked: )

·
Registered
162 Posts
Of course, technique is everything ;P

But I have used frog tape, and I liked it. I used the "Shape Tape" version to do a two tone (squiggley stripes) in my son's bedroom, and it came of clean except for one spot, which was touched up. It could have been a spot of wax on the wall, who knows? (There's no substitute for a clean substrate, amirite?)

But more recently I came across this stuff in my local paint shop.
https://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/l3/K/C440.jpg
It's sold as "exterior masking tape - UV resistant 14 days" but the neat thing about it is it bends around curves really well. They make a thicker version of it I want to try. It grabs to plastic really well. I haven't tried it on metal - in fact, it's a new-to-me product, so I can't say i've tested it, but it's promising.

In fact, it may be similar to THIS:
Which, it seems, is what the real pro auto body guys use. It's just as much $ for that 1/8" roll as it is for ordinary 1 1/2" painter's tape, so I gather that you tape onto it with regular masking tape, and just use it for the edges. I haven't tried this stuff myself, because the right job hasn't come up.

But, I did some powdercoat at a lamp factory (summer job when I was 19) but it was a really big oven/setup. What kind of setup do you use, and can you plug it into regular 110v power? Also, kind of curious, can you re-bake that stuff for a touch-up, or is it one-and-done?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts