Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread not long ago regarding tape that for derailed.

I need to order some tape and supplies and am over 3m and frogtape products. Neither seem to adhere for more than maybe 10-15 minutes.

There are a plethora of other manufacturers available online.

I believe Pacman said dolphin was decent. Someone said all pro or shurtape also.

I am tempted to order some tesa painters tape that is I believe a euro brand.

The 3m tan and blues just suck.they don't stick even when pressed well on cleaned dry surfaces with spackle knife or credit card. I refuse to try their orange branded pro tape after their blue and tans have fallen off in quality.

·
Administrator
professional painting contractor - retired
22,242 Posts
Has this been an ongoing experience with the 3M blue? I use it all the time without any issues. Have to wonder if something weird is going on.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Has this been an ongoing experience with the 3M blue? I use it all the time without any issues. Have to wonder if something weird is going on.
Yes it's been an issue for a while.

I still think the Dolphin brand is one of the best, although i sell and have good luck with the Shur-tape brand as well.

personally i think there has been a bit of de-contenting of the 3m tapes going on for 10 years or so. It got worse when Frog tape first came out, now they are both making products that have to have a lower cost because of the price terms dictated to them by Home Depot and Lowe's.

Reactions: cocomonkeynuts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's that bad. Neither the general use 2020 nor the "regular" 2090 blue stick to ****.

I was having issues with them sticking to itself last year or so and then most recently I had purchased a new sleeve of 2090 last week and it doesn't stick to much of anything. Existing painted surfaces that have been cleaned, freshly primed, freshly painted surfaces, etc. It sticks well to 3m masking film but it'll fall off the wall in no time flat.

I dunno but I'm kinda tired of having to keep repressing, redoing and checking masking before and during painting. I don't trust either with anything critical.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here in Iowa, the popular brand at SW is pg29 low tack tape. For surfaces that seem to repel the tape we do the "tape trick". Which is balling up a piece of tape and rubbing it on the surface being masked. If that doesn't work I get out the caulk gun. If that fails, I get out the staple gun. It's gunna get shot with something 🤣

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I use 2020 for everything and only have trouble with it if the humidity is high but I have always lived in a low humidity area so it has not been a big issue. I have used other tapes but where I live 3m is the most common. I have never used any painters blue tape by any company because it doesn't have enough adhesive and does not work well at all. I use 3m green tape on concrete and it works well. Gorilla black duct tape works really well as well.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Just giving an update here. I have visited a few job sites recently with the intertape pg505 orange tape where the adhesive has failed to adhere to a variety of surfaces. It's a great tape to work with but ultimately causes more headaches than its worth. I probably won't stock much of this tape in the future and more variety of the 2020 which also comes in a high-vis orange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did notice my last roll of yellow frog tape said something to the point of "reformulated for better adhesion" I didn't notice anything lol. I do still have luck with 2020, but when I'm working with something that I'm worried about bleeding, I go straight for the Phoenix. I've got a comparison video I'm working on right now and hopefully I get some useful feedback from that.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Not avaible within 200 miles in any homeblowpo in our area. Seen many painters using it the orange on the west coast.
Its available from the major sundry wholesalers so realistically any paint store could order it.
The only thing I really like about it is that it goes up and pulls down easy, doesn't tear off into strips like 2020 does. This tape was specially requested by my largest clients. Seeing the tape come loose on fresh paint though its a real turn off and if I can't stand by a product I won't carry it in my store. 2020 comes in orange if guys what some high-vis.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
2090 blue and ipg PG5 are usually great, just not on Mondays.

To be fair, the wall texture is horrid in this place, and it's really hot and humid upstairs, with a low sheen wall finish. You could probably put velcro on the back of paintings and stick it to the wall texture.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.