Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be spraying my interior trim with BM Advanced. I first need to shoot it with primer and then I plan to do 2 coats of the BM.

I normally only spray doors, so I've never really had to tape anything off for more than a day, but I plan to shoot primer in the morning, then the first coat of BM in the afternoon and the second coat the following afternoon. Will I need to do anything special as far as masking goes?

Also, any recommendations for a good sprayable primer? I'll most likely be using a 311 tip on my graco X5 for this project.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Try not to let the last coat dry before pulling the tape. That’s key.

I try to limit masked painting to two days, otherwise it usually needs to be cut.

Pull it ASAP. If it starts to,peel you may have to cut it with a razor blade.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,392 Posts
Is this a repaint or new construction. ? Why are you spraying the trim after the walls? Trying to wrap my head around the situation here..

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
For spraying, I would go with the blue tape for easy release. I thought the Frog tape was better for brushing ,or rolling because most bleeding occurs with those applications rather than with spraying.

·
Monarchski
101 Posts
I'm going to be spraying my interior trim with BM Advanced. I first need to shoot it with primer and then I plan to do 2 coats of the BM.

I normally only spray doors, so I've never really had to tape anything off for more than a day, but I plan to shoot primer in the morning, then the first coat of BM in the afternoon and the second coat the following afternoon. Will I need to do anything special as far as masking goes?

Also, any recommendations for a good sprayable primer? I'll most likely be using a 311 tip on my graco X5 for this project.
Is this new wood you're painting? If you're painting over existing trim paint the primer isn't needed. Just clean it really well and sand it good and shoot your first coat on. JMO but a 412 Titan FF tip (purple head) works best with the Advance.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I personally, usually just use good ole regular tape. I've not seen problems with release unless its over five days or more. Blue tape likes to fall off overnight, or with any humidity. Sometimes, it needs to be used though, so if you do, check it really good before spraying. One trick with blue tape, (ora any tape if you really need it to stick) is to run 1 1/2" tape on the edge first, before you use your masker. Or, if you're just taping plastic, use a second layer of tape to stick it to the initial tape. It takes more time and materials, but its a sturdier masking job, and if the plastic falls down, its a lot easier to retape it.

If you DO use regular tape, do an adhesion test. If its primed right, it shouldnt pull any paint off that wall. Sometimes though, even blue tape will pull that paint right off the wall. Funny thing is, I never had any adhesion issues when we used to just go straight flat paint with no primer on the walls..

Im gonna disagree with the above poster about the tip. Advance will run like a mutha***** if youre not super careful. I never had good luck with it until I started using a 308. I sure as hell wouldnt use anything larger than a .010 on a vertical surface. You might need to put an extra coat on though using that small of a tip.

As for primer... I like a latex wood undercoater. If you REALLY want it to look sweet, and you have another rig, an oil base primer sands babys butt smooth. I just dotn see spraying primer in the morning, sanding it, then spraying advance in the afternoon though, unless its a very small job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a repaint or new construction. ? Why are you spraying the trim after the walls? Trying to wrap my head around the situation here..
Only a new trim package was put in, walls were already done. This is my own house and I'm dealing with a very indecisive interior designer (wife). I suppose I could just mask the floors and cut in the tops afterwards?

Is this new wood you're painting? If you're painting over existing trim paint the primer isn't needed. Just clean it really well and sand it good and shoot your first coat on. JMO but a 412 Titan FF tip (purple head) works best with the Advance.
It's primed MDF and I used timbermate to fill the nail holes. There are some areas where I sanded through the primer. I planned to just prime it all because I didn't want the filler to flash.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,392 Posts
Only a new trim package was put in, walls were already done. This is my own house and I'm dealing with a very indecisive interior designer (wife). I suppose I could just mask the floors and cut in the tops afterwards?

It's primed MDF and I used timbermate to fill the nail holes. There are some areas where I sanded through the primer. I planned to just prime it all because I didn't want the filler to flash.
Are you living in the house?Personally, I would just brush it all. Sounds like a lot of unneccasary masking, but whatever the boss wants I guess. A coat of Fresh Start or 123 would suffice. Yellow Frog tape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you living in the house?Personally, I would just brush it all. Sounds like a lot of unneccasary masking, but whatever the boss wants I guess. A coat of Fresh Start or 123 would suffice. Yellow Frog tape.
My brush skills are pretty bad. I'm better with a gun because I worked in an auto shop for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Yellow Frog Tape for delicate woodwork, or if it will be left on for over a week...

Otherwise I think Green is better. Yellow is less 'adhesive', and can lose tack and fall off from my experience w/ it.

·
Monarchski
101 Posts
Im gonna disagree with the above poster about the tip. Advance will run like a mutha***** if youre not super careful. I never had good luck with it until I started using a 308. I sure as hell wouldnt use anything larger than a .010 on a vertical surface. You might need to put an extra coat on though using that small of a tip.
Yes it will run easy so don't cross it out, move the gun a little faster and overlap 1/2 way into your spray pattern. Will look like glass after the 2nd coat.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Yes it will run easy so don't cross it out, move the gun a little faster and overlap 1/2 way into your spray pattern. Will look like glass after the 2nd coat.
I'd love to watch someone do that in person, cuz I could never find the sweet spot between not coalescing, and running all over until I went to a 308 and brought a dehumidifier in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd love to watch someone do that in person, cuz I could never find the sweet spot between not coalescing, and running all over until I went to a 308 and brought a dehumidifier in.
Sound like SW ProClassic!

"Oh a spec of dust landed on surface of the wet material and broke the surface tension? Now all the Trim has runs working out from that single spot!" 🤦‍♂️

I just figure putting on 3-4 light coats any more. Much better finish and no issues with runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sound like SW ProClassic!

"Oh a spec of dust landed on surface of the wet material and broke the surface tension? Now all the Trim has runs working out from that single spot!" 🤦‍♂️

I just figure putting on 3-4 light coats any more. Much better finish and no issues with runs.
Wow, you spray 3-4 coats of BM Advance on doors and trim?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts